22 replies to this topic

#1 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:23 pm

Well that didnt go as expected.

Took the tdm out for bimble around after the lockdown easing. had a nice 50 odd mile ride round the local back roads of Leicestershire. These bikes are ideal for backlane playing.

iQDMkRW.jpg

Decided to head back so took the scenic route home. I entered a local village which as a 90 deg lh bend. So was slowing down from about 30 mph when the front end just washed away without warning. Down we went with me landing fairly heavily . i got help from a bystander to lift the bike up as my shoulder hurt.   I managed to ride home . luckly its looks like just the plastics have suffered with a few cracks and scrapes.

irToIMO.jpg

But once I got home I started feeling a bit sore. So a trip to A&E was undertaken. Yes as I suspected I have broken my collar bone

JpGQhvz.jpg

So thats me laid up for a few weeks.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:41 pm

that looks really painful, i saw the post on FB, hope you get well soon

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:09 pm

Ouch, speedy recovery. gravel on the road or diesel maybe..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:09 pm

Get better soon.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:16 pm

Ouch, looks painful.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Looks like the bike got off lighter than you.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:40 pm

i actually think it may have been down to the low revs snatchness these bikes have.  I must learn to trail brake with the back brake more . I now have to decide what colour to do it as the panels i have ordered need a bit of work, I may just go for black

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

#7 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 04:40 am

Oooh! Poor guy! I can feel it all the way here! Get well son! 👍
Bjørge

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:49 am

recover soon man.  so how do they fix that then as the bones look out of alignment,  do they hafta manipulate them so they line up and then they knit back together or what?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:52 am

Bad luck, get well soon.

recover soon man.  so how do they fix that then as the bones look out of alignment,  do they hafta manipulate them so they line up and then they knit back together or what?

All you need in here Wicki - https://www.nhs.uk/c...ken-collarbone/ Although when I did mine years ago, nobody mentioned slings, I had an op and had it pinned.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#10 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:29 am

From experience, I advise getting that floating bit back in place or pinned. I had a similar break and a 3 piece collarbone but unfortunately I rolled over in bed and put it out of place while still healing. I didn't go back to hospital and the floating piece has ridden up over the outer piece and set - given me a shoulder and inch shorter than the other one. But is has benefits when a hotel only gives you a thin pillow........................ :pimp:

Another bit of advice - once it has knitted start to lift your arm as early as you can to the extent of lifting it to the top of a door (even a drag arse like me can do that, before any feckker butts in). That avoids the calcified bone starting to adhere to the skin which causes lack of mobility.

Edited by dandywarhol, 18 May 2020 - 09:34 am.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#11 poppykle

poppykle

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:37 am

Been there done that

Attached File  IMG0.jpg   104.93KB   0 downloads

I believe my damage was done by the edge of my helmet swinging down and punching out a section of my collar bone. 

Edited by poppykle, 18 May 2020 - 10:41 am.

#12 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:43 am

Been there done that

attachicon.gif IMG0.jpg

I believe my damage was done by the edge of my helmet swinging down and punching out a section of my collar bone. 

I wonder if they're metric?

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#13 mikem

mikem

sticking around

• 20 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:46 am

Ouch that must have hurt. Get well soon.

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:05 pm

given me a shoulder and inch shorter than the other one.

Is that what happened to your legs too?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#15 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:25 pm

Get well soon, but you should be glad you broke it as my other half managed to dislocate hers and it took a long screw (oh-er Mrs.) and ages to heal followed by loads of physio, bone breaks are better than ligament/tendon injuries.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#16 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:37 pm

Sorry to see the damage to both of you! Get well quick then you can get out and about again.

#17 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:04 pm

Attached Files

#18 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:47 pm

Bad luck, still bust collarbones generally heal well, although mine didn't, but that's, I believe, an exception and due to a poor diagnosis at A and E. Get well soon.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#19 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:07 pm

is anybody else waiting fer Lee to suggest some brass bar and titanium screws allied with a grease nipple tapped into the shoulder joints so they can be pumped with a cod liver oil supplement grease....?

1-0

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:57 pm

When i broke mine they said I was a good candidate for a new experimental program.

I volunteered, and ti turned out to be an evaluation of the possibility to use 3D ultrasound to detect new bone growth (before it shows up via x-ray).  no treatment, no surgery, just sit and let it heal, with a checkup and scan every 4 weeks.

Now have a huge lump where the healing took place and it's been over 18 months to get my muscles working again, but the NHS were very grateful ? :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users