• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 plcorg

plcorg

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:28 am

Is there any way of modding (without drilling a million holes) to change the stock headlights for something that works with both headlights at the same time and both for full beam?

#2 gozer

gozer

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:17 pm

Here we go again! No hello then?? :waiting:

Just to quote dablik...................aghhhhhhhhhhh now ya taking the piss... a more helpful bunch you wont find anywhere else,, but i must admit it fkn pisses me off when new members just cant be fooked to say hello......it's not like we bite on ere..  :giveusahug:

By the way, hi picorg  :welcome:

#3 lparker

lparker

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:24 pm

HA ha ha gozer! Just noticed paypal had deducted my annual fiver. For the advice I've had while I've been on here I reckon everyone should be made to pay the subscription rather than it being voluntary.

Edited by lparker, 01 July 2014 - 03:26 pm.

#4 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:37 pm

Is there any way of modding (without drilling a million holes) to change the stock headlights for something that works with both headlights at the same time and both for full beam?

You'd have to change to H4 lamps in the headlight, but that wouldn't work, as the headlamp reflectors are designed as 1 for dipped, 1 for full.

If you made the change then the beam pattern created by the full beam side would fail your MOT.

Try searching for upgrades to lamps rather than mods to a fixed design...

Oh yeah - Hi

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#5 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:17 pm

Was only wondering about this very subject at the weekend. Thought the bike would look better with both lights on at the same time, & no I don't want to ride around on main beam all the time to get the same effect (before someone suggests it  :P ).

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#6 lparker

lparker

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:52 pm

Since I've had a hid light in my bike the main beam with a normal bulb in doesn't seem to be any brighter than the dipped beam with hid . Perhaps you could just put 2 hid kits in and swap for back for mot? Bit dodgy?! If that would even work!

#7 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:32 pm

We've got Osram Nightbreaker bulbs in ours. They're excellent.
Just read the OP properly, ignore me. :)
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#8 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:31 am

I think the only option for having both side "lit" at the same time is what Thrakiotis did with his

Here's the thread: http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=17678

The link to the part is no longer, but I'm sure i search on eBay will be fruitful

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#9 plcorg

plcorg

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:56 pm

Haha! There wasn't a missed hello! Very busy with work, hence the TDM, which I'm loving and after commuting on a CBR600 it's a pleasant change! Thanks for the ideas, was very interested though if there was an aftermarket headlight unit that could be bought for more illumination as the one area the bikes struggles on is headlights. I'm heading along the A17 and A47 - so as many know there's constant headlight dipping and just wondered if there could be a better method of headlight usage?

#10 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:58 pm

I'm heading along the A17 and A47 

I route I know well, is that your commute?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#11 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• 837 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:25 pm

Probably not as effective as what you are proposing, but I have mounted a separately switched small spot light on the horn bracket between the forks. I have it focussed on the nearside kerb about 15-20 metres ahead.
Works well when oncoming traffic stops you using full beam as well as additional light on full beam.
TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#12 plcorg

plcorg

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:16 pm

Yes commute is often Wymondham to Sleaford.

#13 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:10 pm

Yes commute is often Wymondham to Sleaford.

Bloody hell you must really love your job.

Red and black '96. Blue spot Thunderace calipers with braided two-line front hoses - 'kin brill. 17 incher out front. Renthal street/trail bars - vibe free. 1150GS brush guards. HIDs - niiiiice. Stebel Magnum - crikey. Nonfango hard luggage. Nexxus. SW-Motech center stand. Had a Powerbronze tall screen - too noisy - went back to standard.

Stealth Diamond Black 900 with lurvely black frame. GS brush guards. HotGrips on a relay - cos I keep forgetting. SW-Motech center stand and engine bars. LED rear light. Vario set to min. 17 incher. PR2s.

All now a fond (very fond) memory. Maybe again some day.

#14 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:07 am

If its for looks then this works well:-

http://www.jn-elektronik.de/?page_id=4

p.s use google translate or right click in chrome and select translate :)

Edited by arthurbikemad, 05 July 2014 - 10:11 am.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#15 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:53 am

I had a HID in the dip beam on mine and will fit to the next. It only increased the brightness of the beam but it was the best choice I found without sticking extra lights on. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#16 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:00 pm

Haha! There wasn't a missed hello! Very busy with work, hence the TDM, which I'm loving and after commuting on a CBR600 it's a pleasant change! Thanks for the ideas, was very interested though if there was an aftermarket headlight unit that could be bought for more illumination as the one area the bikes struggles on is headlights. I'm heading along the A17 and A47 - so as many know there's constant headlight dipping and just wondered if there could be a better method of headlight usage?

I'd suggest a HID upgrade for the dipped beam as a sensibly priced start...you'll get a kit for around £30-£50, and if you buy a car kit then you may well find someone on here that will go halves with you.

I would suggest either 4300K or 5000K lamp type, and MUST be H7R bulb kit - although the bike takes H7's you need the H7R as the headlamp is reflector not projector (basically H7 HIDs won't give you a proper beam pattern, but the H7R is designed for reflector and will give the correct pattern). 

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271426770611 (do look around though to check seller feedback & location)

After that maybe something like these???

http://www.bikevis.c...-aux-light.html

BikeViz do HID's as well, but they're expensive and it doesn't look like they do the H7R bulb,,,

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#17 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:15 am

I'd suggest a HID upgrade for the dipped beam as a sensibly priced start...you'll get a kit for around £30-£50, and if you buy a car kit then you may well find someone on here that will go halves with you.

I would suggest either 4300K or 5000K lamp type, and MUST be H7R bulb kit - although the bike takes H7's you need the H7R as the headlamp is reflector not projector (basically H7 HIDs won't give you a proper beam pattern, but the H7R is designed for reflector and will give the correct pattern). 

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271426770611 (do look around though to check seller feedback & location)

After that maybe something like these???

http://www.bikevis.c...-aux-light.html

BikeViz do HID's as well, but they're expensive and it doesn't look like they do the H7R bulb,,,

Is there a big difference between the H7 & H7R bulbs, as I’ve just ordered a 6000k kit and then read this? Emailed the seller to confirm?

Edited by Latestarter, 24 October 2015 - 07:16 am.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#18 Denystan69

Denystan69

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:21 am

I bought mine with both headlights wired the same, no idea who did the mod or when, it's also an imported bike, from where, again I don't know.

#19 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:10 pm

I've not seen any difference in the H7 and H7R in regards to beam pattern when used in reflector type headlamps.  The R (Reflector) as some know just has a small section painted out on cheap HID lamps or a steel deflector on better ones..

I am tempted to try a set of these:-

http://www.ebay.co.u...IcAAOSw~uhUohCk

$_57.JPG

Few people I know like them but I have not seen them for myself, the ribbon (heatsink) replaces the fans that were used before, the bulk of the old fans was a problem location wise on bikes.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#20 Denystan69

Denystan69

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:35 pm

I fitted a pair of Osram Nightvision bulbs, notice the difference on dip but on main beam is even better!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users