#1 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:14 pm

Well as the topic says, I lost it. blink.gif

Been out all day with a group. Just coming up from New forest back into Wiltshire, sharp left hander and ouch. I am sliding on the road listening to my pride and joy grind itself away on the tarmac.

I am OK - well bruised - wreckon the bike fell on my calf - that is murder two days later. Pride very dented - ego very bruised. Just when I thought I had cracked this riding malarky.

Left had wing mirror and plastics - wrecked.

Steering OK - had to ride it home.

Whole front nose arrangement shifted to the right.

Is it worth claiming?
TDM 900 2003 58,000 miles - Might just fix up plastics as best I can - intend keeping to 100,000 miles anyway.

Wonder what will happen to NoClaims bonus if I claim. - Have £350 excess anyway.

will post some photos.

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

#2 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:30 pm

ouch mate sad.gif glad ya ok

protected no claims? if not i wouldnt bother right away, unless you've already reported the incident to the rozzers dont even tell them about it as it'll still go on ya record even if u dont claim ranting.gif

check the front fairing frame, most likely this'll bend back into place

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#3 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:31 pm

Oops! I can still hear the sound of my own past "offs" - not nice, hearing your P&J being shredded.

Glad you're OK anyway.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:34 pm

Ouch, could've been worse Mark - glad you're ok - bikes can mend smile.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#5 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:03 pm

Don't think about turning it into a street fighter. Cos all the ones I've seen look naff!!!

Bad luck about bining it.

And well done getting back on it..

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#6 Readmarx

Readmarx

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:07 pm

well done for surviving intact!

I'd not bother with the claim unless you want it pristine/same standard as before the off or you need the resale. Otherswise I'd straighten it myself.

Best of luck for the next ride out.. smile.gif
mother nature rides a biker

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:03 pm

Sorry to hear that Mark - just glad you're OK. It's a horrible feeling isn't it?
You may want to claim on the insurance when you see the price of new plastics. I seem to remember one of the North West guys (Treadmaster?) hit a pheasant and trashed the plastics. The parts bill was frightening.
From my own experience these are the approximate new prices including VAT: Front cowling £380, inner panel £75, side panels £135 each, mirrors are £70 a shot. Handlebars and levers are made of cheese, so I bet you'll need to replace them too. When I dropped mine I got the cowling 'plastic welded' and resprayed for £120, the rest of the bits I needed I picked up on Ebay or bent back into shape, but you'll need patience while the bits come up for sale. Breakers never seem to have any cosmetic parts for the 900. Probably because they're so fragile.
These guys are cheaper than OEM UK prices, but I've never used them.
Good luck with the rebuild whatever you choose to do.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#8 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:24 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Mon 17th Dec 2007, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't think about turning it into a street fighter. Cos all the ones I've seen look naff!!!

Did you ever see this one click

Edited by avonne, 17 December 2007 - 07:27 pm.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Nothing to add, has it all. :)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

In bits. :huh:

#9 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:25 pm

Sorry to hear that, mate. I don't think that anything less than hospitilisation could hurt more than the wound to the pride. I came off within a few weeks of pasing my test (basic target fixation error - slowly rode into wall instead of around corner istupid.gif ). First conscious thought was "Hope my bike isn't too bad!," second was "Get it picked up and ride away before anyone else sees!," last was "Am I hurt?" wink.gif

Glad to hear you're OK and still riding! good.gif

Edited by Sparky, 17 December 2007 - 07:26 pm.

Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#10 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:55 pm

Glad you're ok.

My first 'off' ended up under a tractor, so consider yourself lucky.

I'm also interested in fixing my bike without spending an arm and a leg on original parts.

Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#11 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:40 pm

Did you ever see this one click

No I hadn't and it is one of the very few good one's!!!

Most have tried to send the seat unit up towards the moon god know why??

I have found the best place for bit's is Ebay despite what some people think..

All the mods apart from the exhaust and shock are off Ebay £65 inc p&p for thunderace front wheel, Tyre and disc's!!!

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#12 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:46 am

900 mirrors are same as mk2a's, get a pair from ebay when they are cheap (under £25 inc delivery)
plastics turn up on ebay regularly, gaffer tape it until then, lets face it with the roads around here 2 days of riding on the salted roads and no one will notice
its cheaper to buy 2nd hand plastics, a respray of plastics at a place in West Berks (not a million miles from you) cost a mate a little over £200
some plastic epoxy stuff on the outside and a bit of fiberglass on the inside and any small cracks are fixed without major issue

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#13 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:11 am

What colour's the bike, Mark, so we can keep a lookout for matching bits?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#14 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:52 am

Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#15 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:07 am

QUOTE(MarkyMark @ Mon 17th Dec 2007, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well as the topic says, I lost it. blink.gif

Been out all day with a group. Just coming up from New forest back into Wiltshire, sharp left hander and ouch. I am sliding on the road listening to my pride and joy grind itself away on the tarmac.

I am OK - well bruised - wreckon the bike fell on my calf - that is murder two days later. Pride very dented - ego very bruised. Just when I thought I had cracked this riding malarky.

Sorry to hear that. If you can walk away, it's a learning experience wink.gif
Any idea what caused it? Road surface, or rider error?

Stu

#16 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:12 pm

Doh! glad to see your ok except for pride and plastic, no doubt you are going over it again and again in your head, i know i did.

last fall i had, by the time i had stopped sliding i looked round just in time to see my bike pick itself back up onto its wheels and feck off down the road (downhill stretch) it ended up some 75 yards away, but lucky for me laid itself down gently on a grass verge on the same side that it had just slid on, could of been so much worse. unsure.gif

#17 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:35 pm

Sorry to hear your bad news but glad you're ok. As some of the others have said, you should be able to pick-up 2nd hand plastics and can easilly get them painted quite cheaply.
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:09 pm

I've used this guy Mark - his stuff's exactly as described and a pretty fair bloke

http://www.alkamoto.co.uk

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#19 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:13 pm

Bad news indeed Marky, hope yer physical wounds heal up quickly and yer confidence isn't too dented. boy you do alot of miles on that 900. get well sooner fella. 'WiCkY the mud plugger'

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:01 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Mon 17th Dec 2007, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ouch, could've been worse Mark - glad you're ok - bikes can mend smile.gif

wifgeni.gif Glad your ok Mark

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users