• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Fish

Fish

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:50 pm

Hello all from a newby, not yet a TDM rider but living in hope. Just have to sell my present ride and dig deep to get something special.

OK, so I have been reading posts here and I have got to ask, which is the better the 850 or the 900?

blink.gif huh.gif

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:22 pm

Welcome Fish. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see a fish opening a can of worms.....anyway.....

For me, the mkI is 'Best', the mkII is next 'best' and the 900 is ok too.

Boop
dapleb
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 ROB1

ROB1

Knight of Postsalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:24 pm

QUOTE(Fish @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all from a newby, not yet a TDM rider but living in hope. Just have to sell my present ride and dig deep to get something special.

OK, so I have been reading posts here and I have got to ask, which is the better the 850 or the 900?

blink.gif huh.gif

hello & welcome.i have a 850 so a bit biased.its all down to money.it kills me to say it but the 900 has a lot of better things going for it.if you have a good chunk of money buy the 9 but say youve got up to 2k the 850 is not a poor relation.happy hunting rob1

#4 Fish

Fish

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:52 pm

QUOTE(ROB1 @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello & welcome.i have a 850 so a bit biased.its all down to money.it kills me to say it but the 900 has a lot of better things going for it.if you have a good chunk of money buy the 9 but say youve got up to 2k the 850 is not a poor relation.happy hunting rob1

Think its going to be a 900 then, dont supose anyone here fancy's a 2nd bike eh? lovely cruiser, V twin dyno'd, K & N's, 800cc's of arm aching torque, very flash one peice seat, 51 plate/ Please pretty please

Fish

Attached Files

#5 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:41 pm

QUOTE(Fish @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

blink.gif huh.gif

yahoo.gif Here it comes!

850 here that has been spot-on for the past 14 years (Mark 1)

However, if it was available in the US I would love a Mark 2 (Black and Red!) All TDM's are good, you can't go wrong. banana.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:56 pm

QUOTE(Fish @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think its going to be a 900 then, dont supose anyone here fancy's a 2nd bike eh? lovely cruiser, V twin dyno'd, K & N's, 800cc's of arm aching torque, very flash one peice seat, 51 plate/ Please pretty please
Fish

welcome Fish i see your thinking of moving from one GAY bike to anudder !!!!!!! put it this way i have a decent 99 mkII 850, but if i was in the market for a new bike.......ya wouldn't go far wrong with a 900. best TDM imo is a 1991/92 MKI 850.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:58 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
welcome Fish i see your thinking of moving from one GAY bike to anudder !!!!!!! put it this way i have a decent 99 mkII 850, but if i was in the market for a new bike.......ya wouldn't go far wrong with a 900. best TDM imo is a 1991/92 MKI 850.

Damn if I don't have to agree with that! yahoo.gif

(The Mark 2's are the most stylish though.)
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#8 oiler

oiler

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:00 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yahoo.gif Here it comes!

850 here that has been spot-on for the past 14 years (Mark 1)

However, if it was available in the US I would love a Mark 2 (Black and Red!) All TDM's are good, you can't go wrong. banana.gif

Spot on Thomas, black n red mk 2, got to be the best way to go.
Message came back from the great beyond..........57 channels an nothin on..........

#9 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:36 am

hello Fish, it's hot isn't it, do you have cooling fins.

PS. I have a 900 but would be happy with a 850 too, they both have a potential to suit my tastes.

Edited by laughin in a windstorm, 13 June 2006 - 06:38 am.

it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#10 Fish

Fish

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:55 am

QUOTE(laughin in a windstorm @ Tue 13th Jun 2006, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello Fish, it's hot isn't it, do you have cooling fins.

PS. I have a 900 but would be happy with a 850 too, they both have a potential to suit my tastes.

C'mon guys at least give a newby a sportin chance, give me some pro's and cons on either mc as I will be getting one b4 the month end. (As long as I sell the suzi)
Is there an issue with the ECU on the 900 or are they sorted by yam by now, was there a recall? And does the carb ware on all 850's and how big a problem is it to sort, does it stay sorted. Ect ect?

I am looking to do the saddlesore rally in August which isnt realy an option on the suzi, 105 mile tank range and one thou miles to do in under 24 hours, (wont corner, arm strecher and neck acher at speed). So I need a tool up to the job, I'm sure I used to be taller but now I'm only 5'5" (it must have been the flu I caught last year honest) so dont want a bike that is a cloud buster, the TDM is about right for me.
As much as I like the varadero, I have a soft spot for Yamahas, (it's a banking near rivy barn where I parked the YZF 750) and the tiger is just too wide, propper crotch splitter, an who can afford a beemer as a work and recreation toy.

Fish

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:13 am

If you use the "S" button at the top of THIS PAGE you will find lots and lots of info and comparisons.

There have been some reported issues with 900's that have been solved by ECU replacement under warranty. These problems were reported at the start of 900 production, are not linked to any particular frame number and no there was not a recall.

Where are you doing a Saddlesore?

Cheers
dapleb
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 slimjim

slimjim

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 62 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:46 am

[quote name='dapleb' date='Tue 13th Jun 2006, 09:58 AM' post='7677']
If you use the "S" button at the top of THIS PAGE you will find lots and lots of info and comparisons.

How do you log into the old site as my username and password dont work and it wont let me register ? good.gif

#13 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:08 am

QUOTE(Fish @ Tue 13th Jun 2006, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
C'mon guys at least give a newby a sportin chance, give me some pro's and cons on either mc as I will be getting one b4 the month end. (As long as I sell the suzi)
Is there an issue with the ECU on the 900 or are they sorted by yam by now, was there a recall? And does the carb ware on all 850's and how big a problem is it to sort, does it stay sorted. Ect ect?

I am looking to do the saddlesore rally in August which isnt realy an option on the suzi, 105 mile tank range and one thou miles to do in under 24 hours, (wont corner, arm strecher and neck acher at speed). So I need a tool up to the job, I'm sure I used to be taller but now I'm only 5'5" (it must have been the flu I caught last year honest) so dont want a bike that is a cloud buster, the TDM is about right for me.
As much as I like the varadero, I have a soft spot for Yamahas, (it's a banking near rivy barn where I parked the YZF 750) and the tiger is just too wide, propper crotch splitter, an who can afford a beemer as a work and recreation toy.

Fish

I always get 200+ miles to a tankfull of fuel, I like the bike very much apart from the clutch which I think is poor but adequate, it is comfy for hours of use at a time, it has no carbs to wear out smile.gif but it also has more electrics sad.gif , and it doesn't have a fairing to spoil my view cool.gif .
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#14 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:09 pm

QUOTE(Fish @ Mon 12th Jun 2006, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

blink.gif huh.gif

You are going to sell your girlfriend and go uphill gardening? I think a 900 will suit you nicely.

#15 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:50 pm

Get the 900, it's gay and ugly, but it's a marginally better bike than the mk2. dry.gif

#16 Fish

Fish

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:37 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Tue 13th Jun 2006, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get the 900, it's gay and ugly, but it's a marginally better bike than the mk2. dry.gif

Lost me there, why is a 900 gay?

Fish

#17 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:45 pm

QUOTE(Fish @ Tue 13th Jun 2006, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lost me there, why is a 900 gay?
Fish

It's just something us 850 riders say to mask our envy, all in fun. wink.gif

#18 boisty

boisty

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:57 pm

Hi Fish

Get a 900!!!!!!

Had a K plate 850 (whatever mark that is??) and had great fun on it but the missus made me sell it as it was a second bike (my other was a 98 ZX9R wub.gif ) and she said I couldn't afford to keep two toys.

I enjoyed the 850 so much that last year i sold the kwak and bought a 900 and I love it. It is a far better bike than the 850, yes, it has a bit of hesitation on part throttle but i'm told by the helpful lot on here that it can be sorted (just got to get round to it ) and for a bit of a techno phobe it has a lot of elecs but like most things new they're all pretty reliable until they go wrong blink.gif

Gearbox is much improved now as are the looks (but I guess that's down to personal taste.

Now go and sell the missus and get down the dealers!!! rotflmmfao.gif
Has anyone seen the plot?

#19 Fish

Fish

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:29 pm

QUOTE(boisty @ Tue 13th Jun 2006, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Fish

Get a 900!!!!!!

Had a K plate 850 (whatever mark that is??) and had great fun on it but the missus made me sell it as it was a second bike (my other was a 98 ZX9R wub.gif ) and she said I couldn't afford to keep two toys.

I enjoyed the 850 so much that last year i sold the kwak and bought a 900 and I love it. It is a far better bike than the 850, yes, it has a bit of hesitation on part throttle but i'm told by the helpful lot on here that it can be sorted (just got to get round to it ) and for a bit of a techno phobe it has a lot of elecs but like most things new they're all pretty reliable until they go wrong blink.gif

Gearbox is much improved now as are the looks (but I guess that's down to personal taste.

Now go and sell the missus and get down the dealers!!! rotflmmfao.gif

The missus can give me a lift on the back of her yammy down to the dealers soon I hope, as she is taking her test soon and the 535 that I bought her can come out from under the cover for a blip out. Ticks me off cause it corners far better than my suzi does, then again thats part of the reason the suzi has to go.

Many thanks for the reply's guys, with all I have read here and the old forum, a 900 it is

Fish

#20 sumsmeister

sumsmeister

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:53 pm

Good choice Fish - now as to colour, I like the yellow ones, but silver are smartest..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users