#41 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:10 am

Blimey!! 😂

for my mk1 I replaced the flasher unit with an led compatible one. Same cost as other methods but fewer connections,

I did that too to start with, and I tried load resistors but nothing worked until I did the diode mod. Dunno why.

#42 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:20 am

Blimey!!

I did that too to start with, and I tried load resistors but nothing worked until I did the diode mod. Dunno why.

I think i swapped the indicator repeater dash bulbs for led's too, maybe that's how mine worked. Hmmmmm, maybe that was a different bike i had last year (also had led indicators)......

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#43 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:56 am

Dunno the wire colours but this is what I did.

Oi Loike yer second stick man wid the knobbly knees and one arm. :-)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#44 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:10 pm

I think i swapped the indicator repeater dash bulbs for led's too, maybe that's how mine worked. Hmmmmm, maybe that was a different bike i had last year (also had led indicators)......

This page explains it pretty well, I think it's only a problem if you only have a single idiot light rather than a left and right.
https://matchlessclu...e-installation/

Oi Loike yer second stick man wid the knobbly knees and one arm. :-)

Fanks, it's me as a cyborg.....😀

#45 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:28 am

Heres one for the electric gurus:

Can I convert my tdm850 analogue rev counter to digital? What do I need to do?

#46 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:27 am

Heres one for the electric gurus:

Can I convert my tdm850 analogue rev counter to digital? What do I need to do?

Yes you can, but you can't really use the existing rev counter, you'd need to either add an electric one, or rip the internals of your existing one out and replace with the electric one.  Not as hard as it sounds as I think the mechanical one will have a lot more room due to the mechanism and the electronic one should fit in easy.  If you're lucky you could get one that fit's nicely behind the existing dial and fit the needle so it all still looks stock.

In terms of wiring etc:

https://www.wikihow....ll-a-Tachometer

Something like this can be used to take a signal straight off the HT lead which can make things easier if you're not one for electrickery:

https://www.ebay.co....up/352192614407

Says to come off the distributor but it's the same principle off the ignition wires etc.  If someone has actually done it they might be able to help with an actual rev counter that fits or can be made to.

Edit - found these which work with a wire straight off the leads so a bit more 'plug and play':

http://www.scitsu.co...ex.asp?main.htm

Apparently the signal can be a bit hit and miss though depending on how you locate it, since the HT side of things is a pretty noisy signal.

Edited by Nog, 23 November 2017 - 10:37 am.

#47 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:22 pm

Im changing the clocks completely, to a digital one. I havent found it yet, Dont want a cheapy one. Although they all look the same for more money. Thanks for the response, Ill try those methods. If it fails, Ill either have no rev counter or put the old speedo back on.

#48 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:14 pm

I have a few pictures taken from today. I started to strip down the bike, mess around with the headl lamp cluster and a few of previous jobs and mods I have already done.
But, unfortunately the images are too big to upload from my phone. So, I cannot delight you with such goodies. Haha. Another day, I will try to upload them off of the computer. See how that goes.

#49 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:04 pm

Unfortunately, we have to put limits on the size and total size of attachments for members.  Supporting members have a much larger size limit so you could sign up as a subscribed member, or you could try reducing the file size, or use a third party photo host like Flickr.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#50 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:35 pm

Its weird, I was able to upload a few month ago off the same phone. But, now it seems I cannot. Haha never mind.

#51 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:06 pm

You've probably reached your limit.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#52 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:10 pm

Ill try to downsize the files on the computer and upload them.

#53 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:33 pm

Today, my new fuel pump, rear lamp and carb rubber clips have come. The wife wants to go out, so not much will be done this day.

#54 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:09 pm

Forks and engine are all thats left on the frame. I just need a longer Allen key to get to the rear engine bolts.

It hasnt been much of a struggle to be fair, it seems quite simple. A few questions though;

1). Are there any areas prone to cracking? If so, how have people repaired them? What I tend to do is, drill a small hole at the end of the crack and grind down a u put along the crack and weld her up, grind down and sorted. Sometimes plate up... thoughts?

2). Has anyone ever painted their engine, regretted using a paint brush and decided to clean it off and spray it? I need to know if theres anything that can strip the paint off? Looks terrible! Haha

3). Are there any electrical mods that people have done in the past? Might be worth doing them now!

I will try and get some pictures up, tomorrow.

#55 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:19 pm

Ive deleted some older pictures that I have attached, seems to have worked. Heres a before and after. First was taken on Friday, and after a couple of hours working today, the second is what it looks like now!
Oops, uploaded the recent one first.

Attached Files

#56 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:44 pm

Yep the frame around the swing arm joint has been found to crack on a few mk1's, solution was to weld it up, think i would plate it as opposed to just a weld.

Painting, some info on Studleys bloggerydooda and a ton on the web, if your removing spray me thinks.. you could probably brush paint the cylinders, would spray the rest though.

Only electrical mod i remember is a gear change light in the speedo, on here someplace if you search about.

Be interesting to see as it comes along Tom, post up piccies wont ya :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#57 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:36 am

I painted the head, cylinders and casings but left the covers as they were in good condition.  I had the engine in bits at the time and I sanded the parts before painting.  Took me a while to get them prepped mind and I lost half my fingernails in the process. :lol:  iirc I used Simoniz Engine Enamel.

#58 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:25 am

Im going for simoniz, too! I need to get the engine stripped as well, maybe new gaskets etc.
I know with cv carbs pods are a pain, so what type air filter has proven more successful? Kn?

#59 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:46 pm

Item circled, in red. Im missing one in one of the forks. I just remembered since the last rebuild I did. I had to get them built up so I could ride it home from work. I reckon its something important, else why would it be there? Searched high and low, cant find them. Anyone got one knocking about? Haha

#60 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:08 am

Engine is out, there was two bolts in the bottom at the back, one of them caught me out. Took me five minutes to realise! Haha
Ive looked at the frame and theres no sign of a crack yet. I do need to clean t up, but I cant see there being any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users