• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:58 pm

Bit of a query here folks.

My 91 TDM 850 came to me with kind of naff LED front indicators screwed directly into the top fairing.  They were feeble at best and completely invisible from head on.

[attachment=11157:TDM LED Front Indicator..jpg]

I got a pair of standard looking 21w front indicators from a local shop and I'm now in the process of fitting them.

[attachment=11155:TDM Front Indicator.jpg]

But the big puzzle is, there is no mounting bracket to fit them to !  On the headlamp mounting subframe there should be a bracket in front of the vertical bracket with three holes and a threaded hole at the bottom.  I can see no sign of the original mounts being cut off...?

[attachment=11156:TDM Headlamp Frame.jpg]

So I'm just about to fabricate a pair of mounting brackets for the indicators, I didn't want to mount them onto the fairing plastic.

But has anyone else seen this before ?

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:34 am

Monsieur Le Legend,   do ya have a pic of yer TDM afore ya dis-assembled it?  Normally 3VD winkers are bolted to a bracket below the headlight fairing.  i tink it is a brilliant idea as the winkers on a 4TX are bolted thru the fairing and onto a bracket which PUNCH a gert hole try the plastic if the boike falls over,  then yer left with replacing the fairing or doin a repair and straightening out the bracket!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:11 am

Thanks for the reply Wicklamulla, here's a picture of the bike as I got it ....

The white LED indicators were fitted by the previous owner by drilling holes into the plastic fairing.

[attachment=11158:Yamaha TDM 850 at Rue de la Fosse aux Loups 3.jpg]

I've only seen pictures of the official mounting point on the headlamp mounting bracket.....my headlamp bracket certainly doesn't have them, so I've no idea where the original indicators were mounted ??

Is it possible that the headlamp bracket is from a 4TX ?

I agree with you that it's a much better idea to have the indicators mounted separately from the fairing plastic. Makes maintenance easier too....less to disconnect.

But I'm a curious sort and not a fan of mysteries.....

#4 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:09 am

I think you already have the bracket.  This might help;

http://i64.tinypic.com/5wyuj5.jpg

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:19 am

So I'm just about to fabricate a pair of mounting brackets for the indicators, I didn't want to mount them onto the fairing plastic.

But has anyone else seen this before ?

It looks like the mounting lugs aren't there anymore:

Have a look at this: https://picclick.co....ml#&gid=1&pid=2

Edited by Bjørge, 04 July 2018 - 10:20 am.

Bjørge

#6 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:49 pm

It looks like the mounting lugs aren't there anymore:

Have a look at this: https://picclick.co....ml#&gid=1&pid=2

Exactly, but where did they go ?  There's absolutely no sign of them being cut off and the surface smoothed over.  

Plot thickens....

#7 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:55 pm

I think you already have the bracket.  This might help;

http://i64.tinypic.com/5wyuj5.jpg

On the bike in the picture the headlamp mounting bracket has the indicator mounting points.....which mine doesn't have.    But the bracket illustrated doesn't have the fairing mounting brackets which should be just abaft oft the indicator brackets.  That's understandable because the fairing's been removed from the bike.

#8 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:49 pm

OK, so here's the state of play so far......Christ, if I still had access to my bloody service department, I would have cut out and brazed on a pair of brackets in minutes....!!

However, using bits of scrap lying around before madame reads the riot act about tidiness, here goes....

[attachment=11161:Front indicator bracket for '91 TDM 850.jpg]

[attachment=11162:Front indicator bracket for '91 TDM 850.1.jpg]

[attachment=11163:Front indicator bracket for '91 TDM 850.2.jpg]

[attachment=11164:Front indicator bracket for '91 TDM 850.3.jpg]

[attachment=11165:Front indicator bracket for '91 TDM 850.4.jpg]

[attachment=11166:Front indicator bracket for '91 TDM 850.5.jpg]

Bit rough and ready, but it should do and at least I've got front indicators that people can see.

Mystery as to why there were no existing brackets remains to be solved.....dammit !

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:24 pm

good job CL. It is odd how the brackets appear to be AWOL.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:04 pm

Nice mod Curly, good job and i see you've wrapped the fairing so tell us how that went, easy or a pita, considering a wrap or paint for mine ??

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:56 pm

Nice mod Curly, good job and i see you've wrapped the fairing so tell us how that went, easy or a pita, considering a wrap or paint for mine ??

Ha !  the photos flatter !   It was not nearly as easy as I thought.  The results, for me, are just adequate.  If anyone examines it close-up, I deny all knowledge of it and say that I bought the bike unseen !

Truthfully, if the base is sound and you're prepared to learn as you go, vinyl wrapping is cheap and easy.  My fairing had a rather unsightly gash on one side. Structurally it was sound but when I filled it in and rubbed it down smooth it really needed painting....or something !   I hadn't actually got quotes for painting, but I reckon it would not have been cheap.....I'm a bloody pensioner don't forget !  So I reckoned if I could get a suitably disruptive patterned vinyl I would give it a go.  Which I did.   I think if I'd been less nervous about using the heat gun I might have avoided some of the wrinkles.  When I did the headlamp fairing the other day I found it a bit easier.  It now looks.....acceptable ??

[attachment=11172:Vinyl Wrap on TDM.jpg]

[attachment=11173:Vinyl Wrap on TDM 1.jpg]

#12 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:55 am

So it needsa bit/lot of practice :um: well i'm quite handy with a hairdryer, maybe i'll give it a bash, looks good to me on the photo's so stop slacking and get the rest done now  :D 

Mine need quite a lot of prepping so could go either way once it's ready, prehaps i'll toss a coin.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#13 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:02 am

It reminds of the undercover new car models that are sometimes revealed while lurking around. They all have those sharp black/white patterns to make it harder to see the body shape.

"Yamaha's New TDM spotted today ?" 

Bjørge

#14 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:06 am

It reminds of the undercover new car models that are sometimes revealed while lurking around. They all have those sharp black/white patterns to make it harder to see the body shape.

"Yamaha's New TDM spotted today ?" 

That was the general idea.  I was inspired by the fabulous DRP camouflage schemes they used on First World War ships.....pure modern art !   But I also wanted something that would increase the bike's visibility, hence the predominantly white colouring.   A question that used to be frequently asked was " why are police Motorcyclists involved in less accidents that ordinary motards ? "  The arrogant sods mostly replied that they were just better riders but I think the truth was that their bikes had a much higher road presence......mostly white and with often Hi-Viz patterns.   Whereas your average rebel without a clue was thrashing along in black leather on a fetchingly brown coloured Honda 750......with lights firmly off !.....in case the coppers saw them …..

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:36 am

So it needsa bit/lot of practice :um: well i'm quite handy with a hairdryer, maybe i'll give it a bash, looks good to me on the photo's so stop slacking and get the rest done now  :D

Mine need quite a lot of prepping so could go either way once it's ready, prehaps i'll toss a coin.

I've done wrapping on a couple of bikes, and the same as Curly I was a bit cautious at first, but it's actually amazing how much it will stretch. The more it stretches the more distortion of the pattern . Also the last piece I did I found it's best to start on the flattest area and stretch out to the wider areas, because it really doesn't shrink. If you need it to shrink the trick is to use a razor blade and lit it, then put one flap over the other, it sticks well to itself.

There's no shortage of tutorials online, and if you get it really wrong it pulls off pretty easily and you can just start again.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:04 pm

Watched a whole bunch of tutorials on wrapping and it looks so easy :huh: if i do wrap i think i'll use some of that knife tape and have at it that way, i'm not expecting it to be pristine but so long as i have an improvement on present looks it will do...

#17 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:27 pm

Watched a whole bunch of tutorials on wrapping and it looks so easy :huh: if i do wrap i think i'll use some of that knife tape and have at it that way, i'm not expecting it to be pristine but so long as i have an improvement on present looks it will do...

Aye, go for it ! If you don't try, you'll never learn.

Like fixitsan found, solutions tend to present themselves.

Let us know how you get on....

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:52 am

Will do but likely to be over winter me thinks.

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:20 pm

Hm, well i knew if i wanted to wrap i would have to address the current paint work on the plastics, it all needs rubbing down before hand or a wrap is gonna look just as bad as the current paint job, so after a little searching it appears i would need to use an epoxy primer to seal the old paint after sanding down as regular primer is hydroscopic and will bring issues later on ! if i have to spray an epoxy primer i may as well find somewhere and just paint the flippin thing, could be i end up just riding a grotty looking bike to the death instead...

Sorry curly we've gone of on a tangent.. i'll post another thread..

#20 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:04 pm

what about plastikote type paints  ^%£% it up just peel off and try again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users