I was just about to start a whip-round.

Glad ur sorted.

#22 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:33 pm

Cheers JBX,

I was just about to start a whip-round.

Glad ur sorted.

Steady on !  I thought this was a family site ?

#23 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:49 pm

Wow, that is one big ugly piece of plastic...  ;)

But, if it helps, all is good  :good:

Jings, you think that's bad ?   Wait till you see what I'm experimenting with...…

Photos to follow, don't hold your breath !

#24 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:31 pm

Jings, you think that's bad ?   Wait till you see what I'm experimenting with...…

Photos to follow, don't hold your breath !

OK folks here it is.... an aberration, a blasphemy a calumny, whatever you want to call it.

I had to agree with so many posters that the original TDM probably never graced a wind tunnel, if it did, someone should have had their arse well and truly kicked ! 

At least half of the reports from users about changing/modifying the original screens are not really enthusiastic, are they ?

So I decided to go back to basics and think out the box a bit. The original screen and fairing looks quite good but it just doesn't work !  That is, it doesn't create an area of still air for the rider at any air speed at all. Basically what is needed is a screen big enough to keep the rider inside a pocket of still air. I didn't want to get rid of the original screen and fairing so I decided to experiment with a handlebar mounted screen to see if that would work.  I found a really cheap and cheerful screen on Ebay and have mounted that to try before I invest in a more expensive one.

Well, it actually works ! Not perfect, but it works.  I replaced the original mounts to give more of a rake to the screen but this has caused a bit of a flutter at speeds in excess of 110kph. I might be able to cure this with an extra mount though. 

But what a difference !  Almost no wind blast at all at cruising speeds around 100kph. It's significantly changed my perception of speed, so much so that I found myself going into corners far faster than I did previously, but I'm getting used to it !

I'm going to continue experimenting with the angle and mountings before I spend serious money on something like a Puig Custom screen, but so far, despite the looks, I'm pleased with the results.

Now I've just got to watch out for the Style Police.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users