• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hamselv

Hamselv

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:59 am

Is it possible to put a mark 2 engene, on a mark 1 bike ?

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:31 pm

Yes, it requires a change of oil tank, wiring harness and other electricals. Physically the cases are the same though

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 Hamselv

Hamselv

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:16 pm

Thanks. I Will try to find out hos much that has to be changede... The problem is also most my gearbox , maybe Can just change that instead OFF the hole engine.. :)

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:35 pm

Thanks. I Will try to find out hos much that has to be changede... The problem is also most my gearbox , maybe Can just change that instead OFF the hole engine.. :)

Yes. I did just that with my MK1. If you get the later MK2a gears you get a better gearbox,

BUT - You have to strip the engine completely. There is no easy way to take the gears out without splitting the cases, after removing every other rotating and reciprocating part first. And then you need a new set of gaskets (about £100) !

#5 Hamselv

Hamselv

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:01 am

Hmmmm, - it seems that chancing to at mark 2 engine is the simple solution... Did you change the eletronic and wiring, youself ? And was it difficiult :) ?

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:25 am

Hmmmm, - it seems that chancing to at mark 2 engine is the simple solution... Did you change the eletronic and wiring, youself ? And was it difficiult :) ?

I only changed the gearbox, I put a mk2a gearbox into my mk1 because the mk1 output sprocket had been welded onto the shaft and then later broke off. I think that's why there's a lot of mk1's with welded sprockets - if it was easier to change the output shaft then folk would have done that

I didn't swap the whole engine but are familiar with them having had a mk1 and a mk2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users