#1 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:48 pm

.....anyone tried one of these?.....they seem to have appeared on the marked recently.....a manually operated setup, easier to install, I imagine than a Scottoiler, and cheaper......though any attempts to purchase seems to lead to questionable price hikes.

#2 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:48 pm

Spooky as mine arrived today. They have shot up recently, this was £16 del uk but I paid £28.

Chris R has one and rates it as good. 1/4 turn a day

I Have a scottolier under the seat but never managed to get it working

Cats

Attached Files

Edited by catsbum, 05 May 2021 - 04:55 pm.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:19 pm

Yup i have one fitted, 1/4 turn once in a while, no maintenance required just top up..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:48 pm

There seems to be a fair few products on ebay advertised at x pounds, then when you click on the options, you find it's the price for the bracket or some other part, and the actual part advertised is more ££££.  I'm surprised ebay let them get away with this mis-selling ploy.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:19 am

Although spraying with a can of grease on the chain on the way worked fine in itself, I was looking for an easier solution.

All kinds of expensive electronic systems to get a drop of oil on a chain doesn’t do it for me …….

There should be a simple and affordable way to deliver that drop of oil. Continuous lubrication based on gravity is influenced by the outside temperature. Continuous lubrication does not seem that useful anyway, does it make sense to lubricate on the highway or is all the oil immediately flung off at a speed of 140km/h?

Anyway, I soon came up with a manual system. I like to stay "in control" as it is apparently called nowadays.

I was charmed by the Gidibi / Cobrra Nemo2 system. Very affordable on Aliexpress (now half as expensive as then) and easy to order.

360.jpg

Delivered in a few weeks and very complete with a spare hose connection and an extra o-ring for between the two halves, the piston and the cylinder.

What have I done?

First of all, I disassembled the oiler and removed a small piece of aluminium between the cylinder and piston (residue from the CNC process), greased and reassembled. Such a wafer can cause leakage between the two halves.

Furthermore, I did not intend to mount the oiler on the handlebars but somewhere on the engine block. Made a bracket from a piece of stainless steel, in such a way that it fits exactly on the 2 bolts on the left side of the engine block.

360.jpg1k0.jpg

Then the question remains: how do you lead the hose to the rear wheel? As a result of the placement on the engine block instead of on the handlebar, the length of the oil hose is a lot shorter. Both with this oiler and with an Osco oiler, it’s important to have a certain amount of back pressure in the lines, because otherwise, due to the manual operation, a splash of oil ends up on the chain in one go, which then will be flung off quite easy. Back pressure is caused by resistance in the pipe. Reducing the diameter of the hose/pipe increases the resistance. To this end I ordered a copper pipe of OD = 3mm and ID = 1mm. I used about 0.5m of this length at the end of the rather short plastic oil hose. The plastic pipe runs from the oiler through the opening in the cover over the front sprocket, along the lines of the lambda sensor, under the left side of the swingarm pivot point. Self-explanatory.

Filled the oiler and tested first. With a quarter turn, approx. 35 small droplets of oil came out in a period of approx. 4 minutes. In the beginning a bit faster in succession than at the end of course. But in my opinion it gave a good dose towards the chain.

360.jpg360.jpg360.jpg

Also at the rear axle itself I’ve made a bracket of 1.5 mm stainless steel.

360.jpg

In practice, a 1/4 turn around every refuelling turns out to provide more than sufficient lubrication. Do not use it just before you arrive at your final destination, but preferably immediately after driving off at the start of your ride. Then you drive relatively slow for a good oil distribution on the chain and you have no risk of a slight dripping afterwards.

At least that's how I do it and not once in the morning have I seen oil drops next to my rear wheel.

There will be much better and finer and automated systems.

This works for me (as long as I don't forget that 1/4 turn at least).

I hope this information will be of any use.

Greetings Peter

Edited by PeterM91, 09 May 2021 - 08:22 am.

#6 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:07 pm

Nice write up Peter, so from what i can gather the position of my (same) oiler situated on the rear footpeg hanger leaves the delivery tube a little short and will result in a dump of more oil instead of a longer tube to gain a slower delivery ! in which case it needs moving, not a fan of having it up on the handle bars either.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:41 pm

Nice write up Peter, so from what i can gather the position of my (same) oiler situated on the rear footpeg hanger leaves the delivery tube a little short and will result in a dump of more oil instead of a longer tube to gain a slower delivery ! in which case it needs moving, not a fan of having it up on the handle bars either.

Thanks!

I just used the copper tube 3x1mm: https://www.aliexpre...earchweb201603_

You could even curl it op to get the length of 0,5m. and keep the plastic tube as short as possible behind the oiler.

Now it produces slow and steady drops of oil to the chain. That did it for me.

BTW I use chainsaw bio oil from Husqvarna. Cheap and rather thick!

#8 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:02 pm

Thanks for the link, haha i like the idea of curling it up, will look like i'm distilling....still have a litre of Blue Scott oil to get through but have used chainsaw oil in the past.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:45 pm

Just had a quick read of the Cobbra Nemo 2 manual  (same operation as the Gidiall I assume) and it states.....

For every 90 ° turn of the container oil will be fed to your chain for 3 minutes, with the majority of the oil dispensed within the first 30 seconds.

Soooo, sounds like it'll do this regardless of where the reservoir is situated.  Sounds like you've overcome this Peter. :good:

Not sure it's a problem if you're careful when you use it, or at least one could lessen the chance of wasting the oil on the floor and getting more on the chain.

Got one on order from Aliexpress, lookin' forward to fitting it, sometime in June apparently. :rolleyes:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:14 am

linky for copper tube wont ship too uk now

sorted now

Edited by madmopedracer, 10 May 2021 - 09:18 am.

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:50 am

linky for copper tube wont ship too uk now

sorted now

On ebay for an extra £1...

#12 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:57 am

Quick look and the oiler appears to be £25 - £30 for the kit. Like the idea of the mobile still copper worm.....

#13 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:13 pm

Quick look and the oiler appears to be £25 - £30 for the kit. Like the idea of the mobile still copper worm.....

Nope!

Just 15: https://www.aliexpre...earchweb201603_

And delivery 5 june

#14 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:55 pm

....with $3 off but plus any import duty.

Tempting but I'll stick to my oil can for now.

Edited by TKH, 10 May 2021 - 08:00 pm.

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:15 pm

I just bought one off Aliexpress and there's vat to go on and that's all.

#16 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:04 pm

I just bought one off Aliexpress and there's vat to go on and that's all.

You're gone like it!

Don't forget to check for CNC flakes between the two parts.

They are easy to take apart.

Good luck.

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:02 am

Will do Peter. :good:

#18 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:08 pm

You're gone like it!
Don't forget to check for CNC flakes between the two parts.
They are easy to take apart.
Good luck.

You mean swarf from the machining ?
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users