#21 slartybartfarst

slartybartfarst

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:07 am

I wondered where this had got up to.

The link in the first post is a solicitors involved in the case and they now predict a trial in April 2012!! The accused were arrested in 'dawn raids' in November 2010. So what ever the outcome of the trial they will have had this hanging over them for 18 months - given the what they are charged with and that this seems to be some spurious test case this is surely totally unacceptable.
Chris
Honda CB100N, BSA C15G, Honda 400/4, Kawka Z250, BSA A65 Firebird Scrambler, Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk1, Suzuki GP100, BSA B44 Special, Ducati Pantah 500, Yamaha XS 650 Flat tracker, TDM 900.

#22 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:36 pm

wifgeni.gif

Couldn't agree with you more !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#23 Whippet

Whippet

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:46 pm

QUOTE(slartybartfarst @ Sun 6th Nov 2011, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The link in the first post is a solicitors involved in the case and they now predict a trial in April 2012!! The accused were arrested in 'dawn raids' in November 2010. So what ever the outcome of the trial they will have had this hanging over them for 18 months - given the what they are charged with and that this seems to be some spurious test case this is surely totally unacceptable.
Chris

I agree, the timescales involved are extremely lengthy, however think about the families of parties killed in fatal collisions (this particular case is unusual and obviously the full facts of it won't be disclosed until trial) - they also have to wait to get some form of closure on the deaths of their loved ones. That being so it is also worth pointing out the amount of time and effort that goes into the investigation of any road death not including pre trial hearings and discussions between prosecution and defence along with further report requests. I'm sure no one would want a rushed through investigation if it involved a family member, whether on the right side of the brass rail or the wrong.

Most members of the public simply do not comprehend how many people die on our roads each year, each week, each day... I'm not preaching it's just a fact that we all put things out of our minds if it does not directly involve someone close. It's laughable really how anal health and safety laws are and yet a 17 year old in theory can jump in a 200 mph sports car. Weve got 40 tonne artics moving about our roads with some god awful chemicals in most of which go into some of the most propriety household products... I'll shut up now , cos I've gone off on a tangent and I love my bikes but you get the point. rolleyes.gif wink.gif
TPLQHCSRSFC No.2 Fan!

#24 paulb

paulb

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:38 pm

... for Causing death by Dangerous Driving

Know a couple of these guys well and regularly rode with them a couple or so years go.

Any of you guys remember the case?

Well.... this is my post on another forum, where we had some severe doubters and judgemental people

To those people all over the place who declared that the Law should be trusted and that there must be something for the CPS to push this case through....and seemed to take delight in trying to put doubt into people's minds without knowing much about the events....

THE CASE HAS BEEN DROPPED!!!

Nuff Said

Happy Christmas Lads
PB

Honda CBR1100 xxx
BMW R1150 GSA se 2005
Yamaha WR450f

#25 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:49 pm

I should bloody well thinks so.

IMHO it is just a ruse by North Yorks police to put the frighteners on other motorcyclists who fear they might be penalised for being part of the group of "spirited" riders where one of them has a mishap.

BD

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#26 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:16 pm

About time, we have too many bigoted Chief Constables in this country they are public servants and want to behave as such.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#27 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:25 pm

Great news ! at last ! drinks.gif

Anyone seen any news about the case ? Somehow don't think it'll grab the headlines.

Edited by Studley Ramrod, 05 December 2011 - 04:28 pm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#28 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:29 pm

That's great news and as Dave says ' I should bl..dywell think so!'

I still personally believe we should have a note on all our G2G and RTT arrangements to set out

- meeting points for coffee and lunch stops so there's no pressure
- need to travel at your own pace
- that safety always comes first

There is a virtual paper trail of all we do and I think its useful that our safety awareness can be shown on the website

Pete

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#29 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:42 pm

good.gif

Sensible good news for a change, but what a lot of time & money wasted in the interim.

Locally we've had very spirited "who's liable?" discussions recently about .......... when the shit hits the fan.

I'm one of only a few local riders who enjoys leading a group of other like minded riders (sometimes up to 25 riders have turned up) through varied terrain in a smooth & flowing manner.

The question was asked, who is responsible if one of the group has an 'incident' & causes injury to himself, his bike or some one else.

I know most of my mates would be ok with accepting responsibility for their actions, but what about new comers you don't know or a victims family when their bread winner can no longer work. Plenty of "no win no fee" lawyers about these days.

I'm no legal eagle myself, although I did receive favourable positive comments from a real solicitor to my 'common sense' direct wording approach.

So I added a "no frills" disclaimer to my sig. which initially caused some flack from a few guys, but I'm now being asked by others if they can use it too when they are about to organise a group ride. You can go into full written disclaimers etc, but who wants that hassle, I just wanna go riding myself.

Although it may not stop all legal action, it sets out clearly who I like as riding mates. Any legal action whether it has merrit or not costs an innocent defendant heaps.

drinks.gif

#30 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:17 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Mon 5th Dec 2011, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone seen any news about the case ? Somehow don't think it'll grab the headlines.

http://www.visordown...ared/19654.html

Visordown News, Judges comments:
The judge said that Mr Slater is thought to have lost control due to excessive speed, compounded by braking when riding over a bridge and faced with a car coming in the other direction.

“Mr Slater, on the evidence, made a voluntary and informed decision to ride in the way that he did rather than in another way. The cause of death was the free, deliberate and informed decision of Mr Slater and no one else.”

“Each rider made his own decision to ride in the way he did,” said Judge Geoffrey Marson.

Signature test

#31 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,445 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:19 am

QUOTE(tullyhubbert @ Tue 6th Dec 2011, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.visordown...ared/19654.html

Visordown News, Judges comments:

Still sad, but a victory for common sense.
Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#32 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:07 pm

QUOTE(pete7 @ Mon 5th Dec 2011, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's great news and as Dave says ' I should bl..dywell think so!'

I still personally believe we should have a note on all our G2G and RTT arrangements to set out

- meeting points for coffee and lunch stops so there's no pressure
- need to travel at your own pace
- that safety always comes first

There is a virtual paper trail of all we do and I think its useful that our safety awareness can be shown on the website

Pete

http://www.carpe-tdm...p?showtopic=807
do you think we need something more?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#33 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:06 am

Reading 2 wheel mag last week I picked up something interesting. A recent study, concluded this year, in Europe found that Motorcyclists are 37.5 times more likely to be
injured or killed than those driving cars. The interesting part though is that they also found that cyclists are 47.9 times more likely to be injured or killed than motorcyclists.
Which means 1800 times more likely than car drivers. blink.gif
Now I really think the whole statics thing should be taken with a large pinch of salt but something is definitely wrong here.
Why do the establishment go out of their way to appease the vocal requests of cyclists < 1% of road users & also actively encourage the pursuit when it is clearly
an almost certain fast track to meet the grim reaper? huh.gif
Yet they obviously target us respectable motorcyclists at every chance they get in a concerted effort to be rid of us entirely & for who knows what misguided reasons. mad.gif
What they should be doing is encouraging a major decrease in larger vehicles on roads & fiercely promoting motorcycling as a clean green & obviously far safer means of transport than cycling. good.gif STOP treating motorcyclists like criminals

OK, had my whinge now, all done. tongue.gif
cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#34 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,445 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:23 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Thu 8th Dec 2011, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.carpe-tdm...p?showtopic=807
do you think we need something more?

I think Pete's suggestions have merits as it is certainly up to the individual. My first G2G was a trip to Aviemore and I remember following Tonydevil from Perth up the A93 with Tiff and ChrisG behind. It was fine until we cleared the built up areas and got on to the A93 proper when Tony disappeared into the distance. We had already discussed the route and knew that we would not be turning off, so Tony rode at his pace and I at mine. I would catch him up at a lay by having a fag. I am old enough and wise enough not to try to keep up with a far more experienced and quicker rider.
This continued at the G2G when we had some 17 riders and it evolved where the quicker ones were in front with the rest following.
No problem. Seemples.
I am an infinitely better rider as a result of the experience and met some great people too.
Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#35 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:48 am

I have for a number of years been the organiser of long distance charity rides over a period of 7 to 10 days, I give all riders a list of locations that we are staying at and the times and locations of the meet ups for the charity locations in person for photographs etc with an hour window, SAMPLE HERE and also HERE it was a little more difficult this year due to the Air Ambulance sites to have a firm arrival time, at no time did we have a large group of motorcyclist riding together as all parties have their own agenda they wish to adhere to, some wish to ride a particular route to satisfy their lust for twisties and/or speed needs, others for a relaxing ride enjoying the views. With today's riding aids the old fashioned paper route is rapidly disappearing into history and GPS locations only need to be given to riders.
This works well and suits all individuals. good.gif good.gif

Edited by Rallyist, 09 December 2011 - 08:54 am.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users