73 replies to this topic

#1 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:12 pm

I'm gettin a new helmet for this season. I'm on a budget, so I had a look at CABERG and SCHUBERTH opening helmets.

I like both of these since they have integrated sun visor (commute to work is riddled with tunnels... hell to drive into with sunglasses).

- Any good reasons for NOT choosing an opening helmet? Yea, I know, they weigh more and can be noisier...

- Any pros/cons for these particular brands?

- Any other suggestions? I've heard about Airoh, but haven't seen them here in No-way.

- On a sidenote, has anyone seen helmets and other riding gear in silver/yellow?
Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#2 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:21 pm

QUOTE(Galilee @ Sun 18th Mar 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm on a budget........................... SCHUBERTH.....................................

wacko.gif unsure.gif blink.gif dry.gif

Top grade for build and safety, and reputedly very quiet, though.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#3 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:03 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sun 18th Mar 2007, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wacko.gif unsure.gif blink.gif dry.gif

Top grade for build and safety, and reputedly very quiet, though.

Caberg is gash don't touch it with a barge poll, I was wearing one when I wrote off my MK2 TDM & at 50mph almost ripped the flip up part away from the main body of the lid ( & no it wasn't open ) didn't land on my head but slid down the road on my right hand side, recon if I'd been going faster or had haken a big hit to the head the thing would've disinterated. Really realy shite quality

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#4 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:18 pm

QUOTE(nhstedium @ Sun 18th Mar 2007, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Caberg is gash don't touch it with a barge poll, I was wearing one when I wrote off my MK2 TDM & at 50mph almost ripped the flip up part away from the main body of the lid ( & no it wasn't open ) didn't land on my head but slid down the road on my right hand side, recon if I'd been going faster or had haken a big hit to the head the thing would've disinterated. Really realy shite quality

Thanks for the warning good.gif
I was talking about Schuberth though, which by all accounts are much the better, while more expensive?

Edited by Pict, 18 March 2007 - 09:28 pm.

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#5 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:22 pm

Schubert is a bit noisy and heavy, but fits very comfortably, my father was in a fairly serious accident wearing a schubert and it saved his head, so it does what it's supposed to do. I bought a Caberg, wore it once and it was possibly the most uncomfortable lid I've ever worn, but it might just be the wrong shape for my head, it's on a shelf in the garage with all the other stuff I need to get rid of. unsure.gif

#6 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:41 pm

Not sure what size your budget is, but Shoei now do a flip-up , it's around 250 UK pounds, which I'd say makes it mid-range in price. The reveiws I've seen of it are all positive. I've always liked the fit of Shoei and they've got a good safety reputation, second only to Arai. Available in siver, but not yellow according to the website.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#7 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:43 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Sun 18th Mar 2007, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shoei now do a flip-up

Dandywarhol has a scubert flip up, and he seems happy with it, and it's not like him to be happy about anything. wink.gif

#8 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:57 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Sun 18th Mar 2007, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dandywarhol has a scubert flip up, and he seems happy with it, and it's not like him to be happy about anything. wink.gif

Dandy's flip up is a Shoei isn't it?

#9 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:44 pm

hello,

i've been using a schuberth C2 flip up for al little over a year now.
positive aspects:
it's comfy, practical (i wear glasses), the sun visor ist just great, a little less noisy than my old arai full face. the air circulation is good, good peripheral vision and it's fiberglass, so it ages more slowly than polycarbonate helmets.

negative aspects:
expensive, heavy (it's ok for me though), it does not have an omk clearance for racetracks (i won't need that) at first it was very narrow for the ears when putting it on. (i used a balaclava for the first weeks, then it was ok) some riders had problems with the antifog coating peeling off (got the visor replaced free, mine is still working fine)

the shoei was not available at the time, and the chin strap of the model on sale last year did not agree with my larynx. otherwise the shoei was a very good helmet indeed

my father had two cabergs, both flip ups (the other brands did not fit his large head anatomy) but the quality of these was rather underaverage.

glückauf
ralf

#10 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:47 pm

Dandy HAD a Schuberth 1 and found it noisy and not too comfortable but wouldn't say so in public cos I shelled out 200 quid for it unsure.gif .............now got a Shoei Synchrotec2 and it's the most comfortable lid I've worn -and pretty quiet.

I do miss the flip down dark visor though sad.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#11 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:37 am

I have an Airoh SV55 which I quite like. It is a bit noisy but then I think all flip front lids are compared to full face. The integral sun visor is brilliant I would not want to go back to a lid without one.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#12 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:20 am

i've had a couple of caberg flip ups, 1st one was the cheapy, 2nd was much nicer, its the 'justissimo' model with the flip down sun visor
cost me £150 from MPS in Oxford and i couldnt be happier with it
its been in everyday use for a year now and has approx 15k miles, so the padding is starting to go a little
i recently decided to buy myself a quality lid for every day use, decided not to go for a flip up, it cost me a fortune and its no quieter that my caberg, doesnt fit aswell (even after a couple of weeks use) and is no where near as convenient to use
i wont buy another lid that isnt flip up and doesnt have the sun visor

that nice shiney new lid is at the back of the wardrobe as a 'spare' and i'm back to my old caberg

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#13 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:50 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i've had a couple of caberg flip ups, 1st one was the cheapy, 2nd was much nicer, its the 'justissimo' model with the flip down sun visor
its been in everyday use for a year now and has approx 15k miles, so the padding is starting to go a little
i recently decided to buy myself a quality lid for every day use, decided not to go for a flip up, it cost me a fortune and its no quieter that my caberg, doesnt fit aswell (even after a couple of weeks use) and is no where near as convenient to use

that nice shiney new lid is at the back of the wardrobe as a 'spare' and i'm back to my old caberg

I've just bought a second Justissimo - Number one was very comfortable and no complaints Except the flip up catch wore out and didn't allow the flippy up bit to remain flipped.

Just replaced it with a new 2007 justissmo - looks even nicer, is evern more comfortable and the flip up bit now has little replaceable bits, so you don't have to bin it when it stops flipping.

Oh and the cheaper Caberg flip ups don't have the magnesium catches (they're plastic on the "Trip") so probably i wouldn't want to have an accident wearing that.

#14 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:50 pm

QUOTE(Galilee @ Sun 18th Mar 2007, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(commute to work is riddled with tunnels... hell to drive into with sunglasses).

Living in a city with many tunnels I came across a 'fix' to having to remove or simply 'deal with' sunglasses when you go into a tunnel. I close one eye a hundred meteres (or so) before the tunnel and then open it once I am in. The closed lid seems to allow the pupil to open up and you have better vision in the first (darkest) part of the tunnel. One eye can see better than the other of course but it's not a major distraction.

I'm just guessing on the distance, and different eyes probably recover at different rates anyway. But it works.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#15 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:13 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Sun 18th Mar 2007, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure what size your budget is, but Shoei now do a flip-up , it's around 250 UK pounds, which I'd say makes it mid-range in price. The reveiws I've seen of it are all positive. I've always liked the fit of Shoei and they've got a good safety reputation, second only to Arai. Available in siver, but not yellow according to the website.

I have got one of these it is the multitech & they are a really good flip front helmet, but they don't have the internal tinted visor. I was also loooking at the shubetr concept 2 helmet before opting for the shoei.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#16 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:50 pm

QUOTE(Galilee @ Sun 18th Mar 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a sidenote, has anyone seen helmets and other riding gear in silver/yellow?

Not flip-front, but.. here for example

#17 ROB1

ROB1

Knight of Postsalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:56 pm

just last week i was trying flip lids mainly for the integral sun glasses.tries a shuberth-possibly the daftest looking visor when opened & another brand i cant remember the name of.THEN the guy said have you tried the shoei xr1000? with pinlock insert what a difference ,it fit perfect just like my roof.the shoei doesent have the glasses but a tinted pinlock is £15 and can be fitted in seconds.tough call on what to buy

#18 Kpnuts

Kpnuts

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 157 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:29 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second all that.. got a cupboard full of helmets myself and I always wear the Justissimo.. I told Pict theres a guy sells em much cheaper at the peterborough show in May.. I got the flip ups because of my glasses but I decided to have da old Laser treatment so I can now slip any helmet on but even so full face just doesn`t agree wit me.
Well, everyone knows that the speed of light is 299,792,456 meters per second. and thats all very fine and dandy, and it explaines a lot in our universe ......or is maybe it opens up more questions than answers, and the most important of those is....what is the speed of dark?

#19 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:42 pm

QUOTE(Kpnuts @ Wed 21st Mar 2007, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I decided to have da old laser treatment so I can now slip any helmet on.

Good move, to get the ears and nose removed. dry.gif good.gif

#20 Kpnuts

Kpnuts

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 157 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:36 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Wed 21st Mar 2007, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good move, to get the ears and nose removed. dry.gif good.gif

Hi Pict

I suppose you have to be attentive with the wording on this site... you never know who`s reading it.. dry.gif
Well, everyone knows that the speed of light is 299,792,456 meters per second. and thats all very fine and dandy, and it explaines a lot in our universe ......or is maybe it opens up more questions than answers, and the most important of those is....what is the speed of dark?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users