Photo
- - - - -

HELMET : Caberg rhyno (flipup + sun visor)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:46 am

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sun 21st Oct 2007, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First thing......Fogging up!!!

Fogcity! Only thing I've found that works as well is a pinlock but they're way more expensive.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#62 Yellowasp

Yellowasp

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:08 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sun 21st Oct 2007, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well done!! what colour did you go for?

Matt Black good.gif
Yellow Tdm 900 with lots of bits added

#63 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:20 pm

Learnt a bit more today. Under the 'chin' of the helmet flip there is a draught excluder. Remove this, it slips in, and loads more air gets into the face area. Much better. Problem not solved but better

Came back from lunch today to meet a group of smokers in the car park. My new name (including name badge) is Judge Dread. Work it out.

#64 Yellowasp

Yellowasp

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:57 pm

Tried my Trip today and hers my thoughts

1. quieter than my Arai Motard
2. Anto fog not too bad
3. Fits very well, very comfortable

I like it
Yellow Tdm 900 with lots of bits added

#65 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:19 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Tue 23rd Oct 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Came back from lunch today to meet a group of smokers in the car park. My new name (including name badge) is Judge Dread. Work it out.

Did you spot one of them smoking in an area that was more than 50% enclosed, declare "I am the law" and shoot him?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#66 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:41 pm

I did. That Bastard asked for it

Ordered a Blue Iridium Screen from Ebay today. Should top the Dread thing off quite well

Edited by CatsBum, 26 October 2007 - 11:41 pm.

#67 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:48 pm

Got a matt black GT myself. I like it but should have waited for the Rino as the GTs very close to my chin when closed.

#68 GIBBO

GIBBO

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:19 pm

QUOTE(shacks @ Fri 24th Aug 2007, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi I'm new to the web site and was just browsing but saw this... I have had a Caberg V2 which was really bad for wind noise and then went for the schurth s2 which is the non flip one.

This I got as abargin new off ebay £180 and it is quieter. However i would say it depends on your head shape , vents and your height of screen. After buying this lid it made no real difference to noise (still use ear plugs) but I had a touring screen o my previous bike (deauville) and it was diverting the wind onto my head, went back to orginal screen ...problem solved so not really the helmet.

Anyway I have a mark 1 TDM now..and i'm 6 2 so find it quite uncomfortable at any speed over 70mph. Any idea on screens to add protection but avoid putting air on head ??

Cheers Mark

Welcome, you'll find loads of advice on this site, regarding the screen try the search facilty. There are differeing theories re this matter. Some go for higher screens, some lift the screen of the bike by a couple of mill. Others shorten the screen
My body is a temple, that's why my shoes are on the outside.....

#69 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:05 pm

It's no good, I need to ask this:

istupid.gif Whats a Pinlock? istupid.gif

#70 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:12 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's no good, I need to ask this:
istupid.gif Whats a Pinlock? istupid.gif

It's an anti-fog visor insert. It locks onto two pins in a compatible visor. Dunno where they get the name from. laugh.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#71 BigC

BigC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:20 pm

Pinlock = anti fog system fitted as standard to a lot of arai and shoei's.

Its a plastic sheet that fits to the inside of the visor that works a bit like double glazing. You need a visor with Pinlock pins at the side to fit it.
It's removable, comes in tinted option, scores well on tests (supposedly the best anti fog system on the market).

Only downside is a slight reflection on the visor (i should imagine worse at night with oncomming headlights)

Fog City is a similar sysyem but you dont need the "pins" fitted to the visor. Supposedly once fitted is permanent but speaking to one user they have removed it and feel it can be refitted (soft gummy glue on edges).
Fog City also comes in Hyper Optiks (light reactive tint) version for extra £££.

Just ordered myself a new clear fog city on Ebay for £10 delivered.

Twin Carbon Can Co Exhausts, TomTom Rider, Scotoiler, Wingrack 2 with 2xGivi E360 panniers, Monokey Plate / Monolock Plate, E360 topbox / E450 topbox, Fenda Extenda, MRA Vario Touring Screen, Stainless Steel Rad Cover, Top Saddlery Tank Cover, Suzuki DL650 Handguards, Pressure Alert Valve caps

Unused - Blue Tall Screen
"Most of the gear, absolutely no idea!"

#72 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:33 pm

What's wrong with the old fashioned anti fog methods?

Take a bit of white foamy shave creme, rub it into the interior of the visor till it completely dissapears.... no fogging.

Try it on half of your bathroom mirror (when dry) then take a steamy shower and look.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#73 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:43 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try it on half of your bathroom mirror (when dry) then take a steamy shower and look.

Waaaaaahhhh!!
I really need to loose weight blink.gif
rolleyes.gif
That was not a banana, Dougal

#74 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:09 am

Big C, thanks for the details. Will have a looksee,

Oh, Caberg GT. Are they Pinlock ready?

#75 BigC

BigC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:54 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 23rd Feb 2008, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Big C, thanks for the details. Will have a looksee,

Oh, Caberg GT. Are they Pinlock ready?

Dont think Cabergs are pinlock ready. My Trip certainly isnt.
The only Pinlock ready visors i have seen are Arai and Shoei.

You can drill the visor and fit the pinlock pins yourself but its a costly mistake is you fupp that one up.

Last month Ride did a test on Anti Fog products results were:
1. Pinlock (15/15)
2. Fog Tech Wipe (14/15)
3. Fog City (14/15) This only lost a point due to ease of use (permanent, and fidlly to fit?)
4. Respro Foggy Mask (14/15) Works well on my Shoei but there is not enough room around the chin area on the Caberg trip to fit and hinders the flip up a bit.

Twin Carbon Can Co Exhausts, TomTom Rider, Scotoiler, Wingrack 2 with 2xGivi E360 panniers, Monokey Plate / Monolock Plate, E360 topbox / E450 topbox, Fenda Extenda, MRA Vario Touring Screen, Stainless Steel Rad Cover, Top Saddlery Tank Cover, Suzuki DL650 Handguards, Pressure Alert Valve caps

Unused - Blue Tall Screen
"Most of the gear, absolutely no idea!"

#76 DevoTDM

DevoTDM

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:40 am

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Tue 17th Jul 2007, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mrs TDMTAM has the justissimo GT & likes it alot say it very comfy & not to noisey for a flip up. The buckle on it is a bit like the ones you get on MX boot but with a springloaded action it can be used with light gloves not tried it with winter gloves though. the blue tooth attachment is £149 BTW
I liked the idea of the flip down sun visor but ended up going with the Shoei Multitec
TAM

TAM, how do you find the Multitec? I'm looking at buying a new helmet soon and from what I've read the helmets with the flip-faces tend to keep the wind noise down (quality construction helps of course). Road Rider mag here in Australia did a review on the Multitec and it was very favourable. Not cheap at $799 but it is there to protect the head. Has anyone else found an advantage of using flip-faces over the full face helmets? I currently wear a Grex (Nolan) bucket and at $220 it was great for around town but it is a couple of years old and I would like a helmet of better quality when I do trips.

I ran into Davo Jones (FarRiders, GTS-AUS.com) at the local Macca's where he'd stopped on one of his cross country rides and he had a Nolan flip-face. He reckons it was a great helmet and had the communications gear hooked up inside of it. Is the ability to hook up earpieces and microphones something that needs to be considered when buying a particular brand of helmet?

And visors. Get rid of them if you're travelling? I think the visor on my Grex was the cause of the issues I had with the head-wind trying to snap my head off on the ride out to Silverton yesterday.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I can't just walk into a dealer here and start trying helmets on, the helmets they stock are mostly dirt bike helmets. It would be good to know what I'm looking for the next time I'm in Adelaide.

#77 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:14 am

QUOTE(DevoTDM @ Mon 21st Jul 2008, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TAM, how do you find the Multitec? I'm looking at buying a new helmet soon and from what I've read the helmets with the flip-faces tend to keep the wind noise down (quality construction helps of course). Road Rider mag here in Australia did a review on the Multitec and it was very favourable. Not cheap at $799 but it is there to protect the head. Has anyone else found an advantage of using flip-faces over the full face helmets? I currently wear a Grex (Nolan) bucket and at $220 it was great for around town but it is a couple of years old and I would like a helmet of better quality when I do trips.

I ran into Davo Jones (FarRiders, GTS-AUS.com) at the local Macca's where he'd stopped on one of his cross country rides and he had a Nolan flip-face. He reckons it was a great helmet and had the communications gear hooked up inside of it. Is the ability to hook up earpieces and microphones something that needs to be considered when buying a particular brand of helmet?

And visors. Get rid of them if you're travelling? I think the visor on my Grex was the cause of the issues I had with the head-wind trying to snap my head off on the ride out to Silverton yesterday.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I can't just walk into a dealer here and start trying helmets on, the helmets they stock are mostly dirt bike helmets. It would be good to know what I'm looking for the next time I'm in Adelaide.

Flip front are usually noisier than a std helmet, personally I really like he Multitec it is the quietest & lightest (1650g) flip front I have owned esp with the "whisper kit" fitted.( I still use ear plugs though)
I wear glasses so flip front mean I dont have to take my glasses off to put on or take off my helmet, also not having to remove helmet for the like of refuelling etc. The pinlock system is great in stopping any fogging & there are cut out moulded in for intercom speakers & the lining can be removed for washing. It cost me £275 with the whisper kit & a tinted visor delivered.
It is expensive but as the old saying goes " A two bob hat for a two bob head"
For a cheaper alternitive try the Carberg Juttissimo GT my wife has one & rates it highly.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#78 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:49 am

the Schuberth C2 rocks badgrock.gif

its the quietest lid i've worn, even in the heaviest rain it dont fog and i've never treated it
and the ventilation is great for all occasions good.gif

the only down side is it took a long time to wear in, it used to hurt after around 2hours continuous wear
it tool almost a thousand miles before i could wear it for longer
and it doesnt have the easy speaker(autocom headset) mounting that the multitech & justissimo have

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#79 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:02 pm

Iv had my Carberg Trip since they came out in the shops.
I find it very noisy especially if there is a strong headwind,reason Visor rattles very loud, the pivot system wears which makes it loose fit and cannot be adjusted back for a tighter fit against helmet unlike my FM Endoro this is really quiet without any noticeable noise at all.
Otherwise i find the TRIP good fit and the inner visor a blessing just let down by the wind and visor rattle noise another strange thing is cause of the forward vents do get some strange noises coming from them so blocked mine up.

#80 Oigres

Oigres

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 126 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:36 pm

So my 16.500 cents (the price of the helmet),

Basically it“s a really noisy hat. I gotta use earplugs or the MP3 all the time if i want to go anything higher than 90 KMH. The wind seems to go directly into my eardrums.

Never really had a problem with fog, mostly because were i“m located probably.

I talked to a shop owner the other day and he say“s there“s a wind stopper that goes at the bottom of the chin. It doesn“t
stop it all the way but minimizes it. Cost about 10 Euros.

QUOTE(Bulldog @ Tue 9th Oct 2007, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Caberg and they do work well and the sun shade is excellent. I would add though that at the end of the day, it's on the heavy side.

Agreed. The heavy factor was only noticeable on my recent trip to Faro, after 300 Km“s it show“s a bit.

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's wrong with the old fashioned anti fog methods?

Take a bit of white foamy shave creme, rub it into the interior of the visor till it completely dissapears.... no fogging.

Cut a potato in half. Rub it on the glass. Used it on the car and it works. Would“nt use it on a helmet tough. The nose is too near hehe.

All and all i like the imbeded sun glasses laugh.gif

Behave

Oigres
Black MK1, 40k, CenterStand, Mushrooms, Alarm, Givi TopBox and Givi semihard bags on the side, leather tank cover, Lidl magnetic tank bag, Renthal 755 handlebar, hand guards (flucked when dropped), taller screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users