- - - - -

Cyclists

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:46 pm

I was on my way home today, stopped at a red light, and once it went green I rode on.......about 5 foot. I had to brake hard to avoid a cyclist who broke the red light. This caused the car driver behind me to hit me from behind, very gently, I don't blame the car driver, cars don't stop as quick as bikes, and she didn't do any damage. The cyclist never stopped, or apologised, or even aknowledged his mistake.

Normaly I'm more cautious at traffic lights, but these particular lights have cameras at them, so drivers never break them, and I was 100% sure that the cars on both sides had stopped. The cyclist was flashed by the camera, but what good will that do?

From what I understand, because the car hit me from behind, she would be responsible if there had been any damage, but is that fair? The poor lady was on the brink of tears, and had a child in the back of the car. I'm beginning to think that bicycles or cyclists should be licensed, if they were tracable, ie a registration number, then they could be tracked down in the event of an accident.

#2 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:55 pm

I agree with that Emmett. It wouldn't be before time either.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Nothing to add, has it all. :)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

In bits. :huh:

#3 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:08 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Mon 26th Nov 2007, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was on my way home today, stopped at a red light, and once it went green I rode on.......about 5 foot. I had to brake hard to avoid a cyclist who broke the red light. This caused the car driver behind me to hit me from behind, very gently, I don't blame the car driver, cars don't stop as quick as bikes, and she didn't do any damage. The cyclist never stopped, or apologised, or even aknowledged his mistake.

Normaly I'm more cautious at traffic lights, but these particular lights have cameras at them, so drivers never break them, and I was 100% sure that the cars on both sides had stopped. The cyclist was flashed by the camera, but what good will that do?

From what I understand, because the car hit me from behind, she would be responsible if there had been any damage, but is that fair? The poor lady was on the brink of tears, and had a child in the back of the car. I'm beginning to think that bicycles or cyclists should be licensed, if they were tracable, ie a registration number, then they could be tracked down in the event of an accident.

That must've been a bit messy............. blink.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#4 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:10 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Mon 26th Nov 2007, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That must've been a bit messy............. blink.gif

............................fuck off.

#5 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:17 pm

How did she manage to drive in that condition? She must have very long arms

#6 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:17 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Mon 26th Nov 2007, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did she manage to drive in that condition? She must have very long arms

See my last post.

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:10 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Mon 26th Nov 2007, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See my last post.

rotflmmfao.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 Yellowasp

Yellowasp

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:30 pm

I agree. Ban them then hang them wink.gif

They are a damn nuicance and take up far too much space. When driving the artic the worse thing on the road to meet is a cycle. They are too slow, take up to much room, unpredictable and I have to slow right down and stay behind them until I can pass by them without knocking them off !! And they NEVER pull over or stop . I followed this twat for nearly 3 miles before I could get past even though we passed two layby's the cunt never pulled over

Yellow Tdm 900 with lots of bits added

#9 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:25 pm

happens at EVERY set of lights up town

I prefer to take aim and open the throttle now, ignorant f*ckwits

the pedestrians who walk out without bothering to even look at road/lights etc are even better

my favourite was the cyclist who ran a red light & just missed t-boning me
then started to have a pop at me "and my kind, u f*cking bikers are all the same, wanker"
before riding off...

I sat there slightly gobsmacked blink.gif

so did you wrap the newborn in your scarf? tongue.gif
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#10 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:06 am

QUOTE(Emmett @ Mon 26th Nov 2007, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm beginning to think that bicycles or cyclists should be licensed, if they were tracable, ie a registration number, then they could be tracked down in the event of an accident.

Yeah, and pedestrians. Especially them bloody kids that run all over the road when they come out of school. Bloody nuisance! Should have electronic shock collars to stop 'em running in the road when the green man ain't flashing. And horses! Let me tell ya. No bloody lights, no bloody road tax, crap everywhere and them little girls riding them have no responsibility. And them bloody tractors! Shouldn't be allowed on the road. 15 mile a bloody hour. You can't see past 'em cos of that trailer overloaded with hay for the bloody horses. And they never indicate, like they know what it means, just turn right right in front of ya. ranting.gif

Next time don't brake so hard. Your cyclist will stop when he hits the floor. wink.gif

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:00 am

S'funny how we expect everyone to tolerate us on M.bikes. But don't seem much tolerance for others in this thread. rolleyes.gif

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:12 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 27th Nov 2007, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
S'funny how we expect everyone to tolerate us on M.bikes. But don't seem much tolerance for others in this thread. rolleyes.gif

i agree and i see this kind of activity most days from cyclists rolleyes.gif
this topic is just a rant, taken in that context and its not a problem good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#13 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:19 am

I like to think I give everyone a fair crack o'the whip, and tend to only loose my tolerance for others after they demonstrate a huge lack of tolerance towards me

or demonstrate crass stupidity on a persistant basis

cyclists and pedestrians persistantly demonstate both on a daily basis in London
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#14 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:33 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Tue 27th Nov 2007, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like to think I give everyone a fair crack o'the whip

Yeah but it means either learning to use the whip left handed or letting go of the throttle & brake. rotflmmfao.gif

My father got reasonably good with a bull whip left handed which worked fairly well at preventing his collie for nipping at the front tyres of his quad to turn it laugh.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#15 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:25 pm

No problems at all with bicyclist here... Have no problems with cars either when I'm on my bicycle... no clue where you're talking about. The only place it can get crowded is on nice summer days on old twisty dikes, too many bikes and motorbikes. But since the folks with money that built big villas next to them are bothered with the noise some bikes make, they just close them for all motorcycles, so that's solved unsure.gif .
Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#16 Lunlunzai

Lunlunzai

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:25 pm

A cyclist at Oxford jumped a red, ended up never see a red again.

He got run over by a bin truck and killed himself.

I have seen a lot of cyclists jumping on and off pavement and road like riding on thier own private land but never seen enough police holding the law.
2002 HONDA CB250 NIGHTHAWK (SOLD)
2003 HONDA TRANSALP XL 650 V
2003 YAMAHA TDM 900 (SOLD)
2003 APRILIA CAPONORD ETV 1000 (SOLD)
2005 HONDA VARADERO XL 1000 V

#17 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:29 pm

I wasn't trying to suggest all cyclists are dangerous, or careless, I just think that if a cyclist causes an accident it's impossible to track them down, I think there should be a registration type system, and a compulsory basic training. They are road users and should be held just as responsible as the rest of us for their actions.

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:11 pm

Cycling proficiency?

What about pedestrians, should they undergo training and registration aswell?

#19 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:43 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Tue 27th Nov 2007, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't trying to suggest all cyclists are dangerous, or careless, I just think that if a cyclist causes an accident it's impossible to track them down, I think there should be a registration type system, and a compulsory basic training. They are road users and should be held just as responsible as the rest of us for their actions.

All car drivers should, in principle, have gotten training, plus theoretic and practical exams. Still, that doesn't seem like a guarantee for them to stop doing stupid stuff now and then. The thing is of course that a car, like a motorcycle and moped, are slightly more complex pieces of machinery, requiring higher skills, with more mass and especially a lot more performance with the ability / potential to kill and hurt a lot of people. That's where the registration / licensing originates from. A bicycle doesn't carry that risk. The biggest risk he has is killing himself while making a scratch on someone's hood.

Still, I'm sure the current governments are already working on ways to have everybody registered and monitored constantly. In a few years we'll all have proximity chips so that the government, together with the network of cctv cameras, can check how responsible we are behaving. But of course the reason will be "security" then, because of these enormous risk for terrorist attacks unsure.gif . Of course we're all very responsible folks, we never break any law, so we have nothing to worry about. It's just against those bad people, like foreigners and cyclists rolleyes.gif .

Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#20 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:13 pm

QUOTE(E-njoy @ Tue 27th Nov 2007, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A bicycle doesn't carry that risk. The biggest risk he has is killing himself while making a scratch on someone's hood.
Sorry but that is
Bollox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users