#21 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:01 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Wed 30th Jan 2008, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Sparky sorry mate but weaving coming up to a juction aint gona help you as it will only confuse the poor old duffer waiting to pull out cos he think that you are going right then he'll pull out only to find you changed direction and are going left.... and wollop you're sat on his bonnet!!! huh.gif

If you get my drift unsure.gif

Nah, you misunderstand, JG. I only weave enough to shake the headlight around a bit and hopefully get it noticed (perhaps I should call it a wiggle laugh.gif ). I don't alter my road position at all. I only do it when passing side roads with other vehicles waiting to turn right across my path. There's a question on the theory test that illustrates this particular scenario and asks how to deal with it. The two 'correct' answers required are (1) Be prepared to slow down (well, duh rolleyes.gif ) and (2) Consider using your horn (!). blink.gif Hmmmm....I think it would get a bit confusing if I beeped every time I approached a side road, so I'll stick to wiggling laugh.gif .
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#22 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:30 am

JG - Riding a 'Z line' may indeed make you more visible. Some discussion here

Stu

#23 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:33 pm

Never believe this but this morning I was given a brand new pair of hi-viz trousers.

Gonna wear them on the bike tomorrow!! laugh.gif

#24 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:44 pm

QUOTE(Sparky @ Wed 30th Jan 2008, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah, you misunderstand, JG. I only weave enough to shake the headlight around a bit and hopefully get it noticed (perhaps I should call it a wiggle laugh.gif ). I don't alter my road position at all. I only do it when passing side roads with other vehicles waiting to turn right across my path. There's a question on the theory test that illustrates this particular scenario and asks how to deal with it. The two 'correct' answers required are (1) Be prepared to slow down (well, duh rolleyes.gif ) and (2) Consider using your horn (!). blink.gif Hmmmm....I think it would get a bit confusing if I beeped every time I approached a side road, so I'll stick to wiggling laugh.gif .

Ok wiggling is fine rolleyes.gif

Ooh don't get me started on the theroy test tongue.gif tongue.gif

Me and a mate done the pratice theory test online, both parts for cars and bikes after we had a few ales and after much sillyness we both passed all of it whislt drunkish blink.gif and it's been 20 yrs since I passed my bike test by wobbling round the block with some bloke looking through alleyways at me rotflmmfao.gif banana.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#25 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:54 pm

I will NEVER wear a hiviz jacket, a sam browne or the like, cos that is just the start of a slippery slope, and before long, they will be compulsory.

Think I'm being paranoid?

OK, headlights, up until recently it was a free choice as to whether you chose to ride with them on. Most riders I think decided that yes, they will switch them on. Not all however. Called freedom of choice.

Now look what has happened.

Ya can't turn the damned things off even if you wanted too, cos someone managed to get a little rule through wherever that now makes all new bikes have to have their lights on all the time, so no "off" switch any more. I don't recall being asked / polled / informed that this area of choice was being removed from us, yet no-one seemed to complain at the time.

Whats next? Oh, lets see...... lets ban bikes .... keep it quiet, no-one will notice ..............
RIP STORMY - killed by careless driver Oct 2009

currently owned ....
1996 YAMAHA TRX850 gone away for little holiday with Andrea
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
1998 DUCATI 748 ... one way of keeping an old man broke.
1999 YAMAHA Thunderace there is STILL no finer motorcycle
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#26 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:09 pm

wifgeni.gif Couldn't put it better myself wifgeni.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#27 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:31 pm

QUOTE(stormy @ Tue 5th Feb 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya can't turn the damned things off even if you wanted too, cos someone managed to get a little rule through wherever that now makes all new bikes have to have their lights on all the time, so no "off" switch any more.

Not strictly true Mrs Landy's 5 month old bike has an off switch for the headlight!

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#28 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:54 pm

I will NEVER wear a hiviz jacket, a sam browne or the like, cos that is just the start of a slippery slope, and before long, they will be compulsory.

Think I'm being paranoid?

OK, headlights, up until recently it was a free choice as to whether you chose to ride with them on. Most riders I think decided that yes, they will switch them on. Not all however. Called freedom of choice.
Now look what has happened.

Ya can't turn the damned things off even if you wanted too, cos someone managed to get a little rule through wherever that now makes all new bikes have to have their lights on all the time, so no "off" switch any more. I don't recall being asked / polled / informed that this area of choice was being removed from us, yet no-one seemed to complain at the time.

Whats next? Oh, lets see...... lets ban bikes .... keep it quiet, no-one will notice ..............

Buy a Mark one, you'll be fine chap tongue.gif

#29 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:40 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Tue 5th Feb 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not if he buys it in the states he wont rolleyes.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#30 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:47 pm

From the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Operator's Guide (pdf ver)

HEADLIGHT
Motorcycles manufactured during
or after 1973 are required by law to
use headlights at all times. The
headlight is the best way to help
others see you. Studies show that
during the day, a motorcycle with
its light on is twice as likely to be
noticed.

The problem now is the increasing number of cars with DRL's...
A good thing considering how many drivers operate grey cars at dusk and dawn with no lights.

If they are legal in your country you may want to consider the use of a headlight modulator during the day.
Modulators are now legal in all 50 US states. (It used to be hit and miss)
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#31 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:25 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Tue 5th Feb 2008, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not strictly true Mrs Landy's 5 month old bike has an off switch for the headlight!

What bike is that on then? unsure.gif

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Tue 5th Feb 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ahem, I do have standards ya know.

ok, low they may be, but standards all the same........ laugh.gif

Edited by stormy, 05 February 2008 - 11:26 pm.

RIP STORMY - killed by careless driver Oct 2009

currently owned ....
1996 YAMAHA TRX850 gone away for little holiday with Andrea
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
1998 DUCATI 748 ... one way of keeping an old man broke.
1999 YAMAHA Thunderace there is STILL no finer motorcycle
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#32 Landy

Landy

• 1,387 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:33 pm

It's a Hyosung Aquilia.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light

#33 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:25 pm

Just to pour petrol on to the fire, I can always get some Hi Viz vest screen printed with the carpe logo tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

TAM. running away ducking for cover tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#34 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:21 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Wed 6th Feb 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to pour petrol on to the fire, I can always get some Hi Viz vest screen printed with the carpe logo tongue.gif
TAM. running away ducking for cover tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Run very fast and very far!!! uhmyeah.gif

Then the TDM will have a real image prob... Think I better start running now wink.gif tongue.gif

Spose I could wear one at work?? dry.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#35 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:22 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Wed 6th Feb 2008, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Run very fast and very far!!! uhmyeah.gif

tongue.gif laugh.gif
TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#36 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:35 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Wed 6th Feb 2008, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a Hyosung Aquilia.

Shit thats spooky

Tonight partner giving me lift to pub, orange bike chopping up traffic, go's left and gets knocked off by old git in red hyinda

thing is, i get out to help thinking,, this is not a Harley

its the bike in your pic

weird

#37 Landy

Landy

• 1,387 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:11 pm

Well thank god it was not Mrs Landy, I hope the rider was OK?

#38 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:57 pm

Heard a story about an old guy who was emigrating because o' them homeysecshalls, using a similar argument - used to be a capital offence, then it was reduced to imprisonment, then de-criminalised. Next up civil partnerships were legalised. He was leaving before it became compulsory.

Stu

#39 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:49 pm

Ya can't turn the damned things off even if you wanted too, cos someone managed to get a little rule through wherever that now makes all new bikes have to have their lights on all the time, so no "off" switch any more.

A real pain for the people who work on sites where the gate guards not only have signs saying "SWITCH OFF HEADLIGHTS" but also carry guns blink.gif I don't visit them any more though, but there are valid reasons for wanting to turn them off.

I hate this one for dipped and the other for full beam business too, I find a twin headlight is much more noticable as being a bike than a single light.

Thomas, what do you mean by a modulator?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#40 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:07 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Sat 9th Feb 2008, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A real pain for the people who work on sites where the gate guards not only have signs saying "SWITCH OFF HEADLIGHTS" but also carry guns blink.gif I don't visit them any more though, but there are valid reasons for wanting to turn them off.

I hate this one for dipped and the other for full beam business too, I find a twin headlight is much more noticable as being a bike than a single light.

Thomas, what do you mean by a modulator?

They make your bike do this during the day (not legal at night)

Google 'Motorcycle headlight modulator'

(edit: That was a pain... that image is in 3 parts!)

Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users