#21 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:02 am

If you think you don't need gloves for 'slow cruising', try this:
At jogging speed (similar to idling in 2nd?), throw yourself forward on tarmac and catch the fall with your hands.
For a pants simulation, try one of them footballers kneeslides, but on paved road.

I think you'll find that riding gear has it's place, even for 'slow' speeds.
Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#22 themusicbox

themusicbox

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:10 am

QUOTE(Galilee @ Wed 27th Aug 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you think you don't need gloves for 'slow cruising', try this:
At jogging speed (similar to idling in 2nd?), throw yourself forward on tarmac and catch the fall with your hands.
For a pants simulation, try one of them footballers kneeslides, but on paved road.

I think you'll find that riding gear has it's place, even for 'slow' speeds.

Well said... at 65 this is what tarmac did to my bike. I ended up overtaking a car on my arse and had just a few scrapes rather than needing skin grafts good.gif

#23 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:23 am

with the introduction of draggin jeans (other similar products are available) i see no need for riding without protective gear, but that is my opinion
i wear draggins (or similar) all day everyday, chinos for work, silverbacks if i'm going out, standard dragginjeans when pootling about, zip-offs if its warm and i want shorts when i stop
no one even notices they are bike gear

but....it is everyones own choice and i would fight for that right. Fred Hill was a god wink.gif
as long as the decision is made with all the facts available (eg. slide at 30mph will cause you to loose 1inch of skin) i have no problem with it

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#24 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:51 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Thu 28th Aug 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(eg. slide at 30mph will cause you to loose 1inch of skin)

Brill I'm gona wear my leathers everywhere apart from my belly and crash very fast and lose all my weight very quickly tongue.gif

I wear leathers all the time to show I am a gnarlly and hardend biker even in the heat badgrock.gif

Reminds me I must clean the before the G2G on sat (Nice bright clean Jolly Giant clapping.gif yahoo.gif)good.gif

Then when I do come a cropper I just bruise or break not wear away good.gif

Have seen people wear all their leather gear apart from gloves yeahyeahyeah.gif Wots the first thing you when falling...... Reach out yeahyeahyeah.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#25 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:16 pm

this has been chewed over many times.
of course : to each their own, the only thing you HAVE to wear by law is a helmet

and as previously mentioned before : want to do that to your family? the burden, the cost.
plus, dealing with the NHS cant be that enjoyable.
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#26 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:45 pm

[quote name='themusicbox' date='Wed 27th Aug 2008, 11:55 AM' post='95350']
Well said... at 65 this is what tarmac did to my bike. I ended up overtaking a car on my arse and had just a few scrapes rather than needing skin grafts good.gif
congratulations, might i say how wonderful you look at reaching pensionable age laugh.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#27 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:10 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Thu 28th Aug 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
with the introduction of draggin jeans (other similar products are available) i see no need for riding without protective gear, but that is my opinion
i wear draggins (or similar) all day everyday,

<snip>

as long as the decision is made with all the facts available

bear in mind that road slides often end with an impact, (and often begin with them) and abrasion resistance does nothing to prevent broken bones

Stu

#28 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:34 am

QUOTE(stu @ Thu 28th Aug 2008, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bear in mind that road slides often end with an impact, (and often begin with them) and abrasion resistance does nothing to prevent broken bones

i know wink.gif
i wear full length knox back protector, moto-x knee armour, torsion boots and my jacket has armour for elbows & shoulders
dunt thinks i can do much more than that

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#29 Cavey

Cavey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:34 pm

QUOTE(Guinness @ Thu 28th Aug 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
of course : to each their own, the only thing you HAVE to wear by law is a helmet

blink.gif
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

#30 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:29 pm

as moderator of this forum I have to stand up for the women riders that feel left out in that pictorial.
with the demographic statistics in mind in that post there should be at least one image with a female subject in simular attire on a motorbike.
please auto correct. tongue.gif

argh, that one on the custom, with the boots, hope its not THAT guy with THE "boots". shudder
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#31 BarneyS

BarneyS

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:15 pm

Now.....I had what might be termed a hot date in industrial terms...I had to meet a gorgeous young lady on a site, had various options but decided against naked on the bike cos I knew if I did I would get off and forget to put the side satad down!

Epirb.
It went E,S,E,S,A

#32 McHammer

McHammer

seems to like Carpe

• 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:34 pm

i always wear full kit.....even when goin round corner t shops good.gif you no it makes sense
clapping.gif
Mc Hammer
My Father was my mentor, and hero.
The older I get, the smarter my father becomes, he makes lots of sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users