14 replies to this topic

#1 bigboat0

bigboat0

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:08 pm

Following on from the "tours in Belguim" thread, it would put a dampener on the trip if some thieving ba$tard was to make off with any of the bikes, I usually just use the discock but have a decent chain & padlock that weigh a bit but doubt the practicalities of riding with that in the panniers to & from Germany....

What do you recommend?

06 TDM 900 - gone but not forgotten.

Triumph Sprint ST1050

#2 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:32 pm

Last time I went over to Euroland, we just chained the bikes together in a circle with one chain. 1.5M chain goes through 4 bikes.

Linky dink

Edited by trevini, 13 February 2011 - 09:33 pm.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#3 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:36 pm

I plan to definitely bring my good heavy chain AND disclock as well. If everyone brings the same and then just lock them together front and back. I don't use alarms as from the sound of it they just end up giving too much battery trouble.
APW

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

#4 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:45 pm

i use camoflage
mines so covered in dirt they'll go for your nice shiney ones first good.gif
cheers boys

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#5 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:51 pm

good.gif
QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 14th Feb 2011, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i use camoflage mines so covered in dirt they'll go for your nice shiney ones first good.gif
cheers boys

rotflmmfao.gif

#6 bigboat0

bigboat0

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:01 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Sun 13th Feb 2011, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i use camoflage
cheers boys

Good plan Tony, I'll bring the chain then biggrin.gif

Triumph Sprint ST1050

#7 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:21 pm

Balls, & there's me just cleaned all the camouflage off my TDM900. Oh! well just need to get it dirty again.
TAM

BTW can someone go around to see Martin & give him CPR as he has just seen the photos of me TDM in camouflage mode on FB

Edited by TDMTAM, 13 February 2011 - 11:25 pm.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#8 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:16 am

Ambulance has gone Tam, Gave me a tin of Mr sheen to hug

Im taking my chain for the tour and will be looking for a Chain Buddy, This year I'm travelling light, means old t shirts that wil go in the bin and not return home
Wearing leathers and shorts under. Im not mucking about this year!!

#9 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:06 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Sun 13th Feb 2011, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i use camoflage
cheers boys

That means Catsbum will have to bring awhopping big chain!!!!!

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#10 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:25 am

QUOTE(bigboat0 @ Sun 13th Feb 2011, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Following on from the "tours in Belguim" thread, it would put a dampener on the trip if some thieving ba$tard was to make off with any of the bikes, I usually just use the discock but have a decent chain & padlock that weigh a bit but doubt the practicalities of riding with that in the panniers to & from Germany....

What do you recommend?

It never crossed my mind. Its probably no worse than here.

I will have my disk lock and that will be it!

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#11 Chris

Chris

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:20 am

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Mon 14th Feb 2011, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wearing leathers and shorts under. Im not mucking about this year!!

Leather shorts...

#12 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:21 am

QUOTE(bigboat0 @ Sun 13th Feb 2011, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you recommend?

I have never used more than a disclock at each end - IMHO a chain for one bike is not worth the weight/aggro/space and generally has next to no extra deterent value/use.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:09 pm

My Experience in that part of the world is that chains are not necessary,,, your gonna be out in the boonies as such and people are generally of the none theiving variety,,, i never used a lock at all when i was there,, each to their own though.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 bigboat0

bigboat0

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:09 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Mon 14th Feb 2011, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Experience in that part of the world is that chains are not necessary,,, your gonna be out in the boonies as such and people are generally of the none theiving variety,,, i never used a lock at all when i was there,, each to their own though.

Cheers, not concerned about Germany, it's more the 2 nights in Liege & the overnight stop at a UK service station......

Triumph Sprint ST1050

#15 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:19 pm

i always have a disclock and chain with me anyway, but cant remember if i ever actually used them in the past...

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users