#341 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:40 pm

current plan is to convert the bike to a mk1 in looks, as I much prefer those, and possible add myself a set of USD forks from an aprilia mille with the brembo brakes and 17" front wheel.  I need to find a cheap mk1 850 to use as a donor bike - any out there? none runner would be fine

or. I may just leave the bike as is, and start a new project. I fancy buying a vfr1200, ditching the frame and bodywork and building myself a new bike around a new frame of my own design, with the 1200 v4, shaft drive and single sided swing arm. 

If I find one cheap enough i will do that.

Oh yeah, a MK1 with 900 running gear.....fantastic.

For everything else there's a KTM

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#342 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:37 am

Some of the Greek TDM fellas fit USD forks, damned if I can remember the members name though.

EDIT:  Might be Thrakiotis, I'll go check. Yup.

RE-EDIT:  Showa USD forks http://www.carpe-tdm...wtopic=19235=  Off a Multistrada 1100.  Only 1.2cm shorter.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#343 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:49 pm

Is anyone interested in any mk1 TDM bits?I am looking at buying a mk1 tdm for the body panels, but its a bit more expensive than I want to pay. 

I will put a listing on the for sale section but basically I will have the full bike apart from the fairing panels, seat, tank, headlights.

So it will be engine, frame, wheels, swing arm, suspension, blue spot brakes, clocks, carbs etc.

also has a 2 into 1 system on it that looks quite funky. 

I need to justify the outlay for the panels really.  

#344 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:19 pm

So i thought I best put the TDM battery on charge given that its not been started all winter, and we might all get a lot of spare time suddenly when boris shuts the country. 

Its running a JMT lithium battery, I pressed the test button which showed 2 of the 3 lights illuminated, so decided to have a bash at firing up.

Fired up first time!  very happy with that. 

#345 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:18 pm

Self isolation means pay at pump and empty roads.
Result!

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#346 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 March 2020 - 03:50 pm

Yep, since our Picos / France trip has been kyboshed, we're planning long days out with a flask and butties. Other option is...engine outfor painting.....nah, days out!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#347 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:32 am

4 days up Scotland with some dodgey weather, and epic roads. brilliant time had by all, the TDM behaved flawlessly. It was built for those roads. 

At some point in time the bike ticked over the 100,000 mile mark, its now got 101500 miles on it, and still going strong. 

the plan for the rest of the year is to just ride the bike, and maybe wash it a few times. but come winter I think I will be making some changes.  I am just not a fan of the looks of the bike. so I am going to change them.  I also have a front end from a VFR1200F that I might sneak in there, although I will have to be very careful about this as the bike handles amazingly well now and I wouldnt want to ruin that. 

I am thinking a mk1 tdm fairing with the vfr upsidedown forks, wheel and brakes.  

#348 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:38 am

4 days up Scotland with some dodgey weather, and epic roads. brilliant time had by all, the TDM behaved flawlessly. It was built for those roads. 

At some point in time the bike ticked over the 100,000 mile mark, its now got 101500 miles on it, and still going strong. 

the plan for the rest of the year is to just ride the bike, and maybe wash it a few times. but come winter I think I will be making some changes.  I am just not a fan of the looks of the bike. so I am going to change them.  I also have a front end from a VFR1200F that I might sneak in there, although I will have to be very careful about this as the bike handles amazingly well now and I wouldnt want to ruin that. 

I am thinking a mk1 tdm fairing with the vfr upsidedown forks, wheel and brakes.  

Y'never sit on yer arse do ya Coxxxxxxy?  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#349 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:01 pm

not often. if i do sit down i just start eating chocolate

#350 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:43 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement exhaust end cans that are old bent akras? 

Edited by Coxylaad, 21 May 2021 - 03:57 pm.

#351 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:55 pm

scratch that. does anyone know where i can get a couple of replacement oval sleeves for my akra end cans? 

Im tired of looking at them all dented. i want the bike to be minted 

#352 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:20 am

These guys should have what you need Ian. https://pjengineerin...pages/home-page

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#353 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 11:02 am

hmmm. 130  quid for a pair of carbon tubes, 24 quid for exhaust packing... for another 100 quid i could just buy brand new pair of end cans. 

#354 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:57 pm

back to original question. looking for a pair of decent exhaust end cans 

#355 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:13 pm

Some Fuel cans in for sale section.  http://www.carpe-tdm...7768&hl=exhaust

#356 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:20 pm

I had Fuel on my VTR they sounded luvverly

#357 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 02:49 pm

Howdy. been a while since I posted on here. Ive ridden the bike now for 2 years, and honestly I might get tempting by the lure of modern technology every now and then, but every time I get on the bike there is nothing It cant do on the road. its fantastic. 

Only thing that I still cant get away with is the looks of the 900. its just not for me. So as previously threatened I have managed to track down a complete nail of a mk1 3VD, and the plan is to turn my 900 into a 900 3VD.

I intend to keep everything from the frame down over. thats frame, engine, wiring, suspension, wheels etc.

I will be utilising the front headlights and fairing of the mk1, as well as the fueltank (in a potentially modified fashion), the side panels.  

Then I need to decided whether or not I am going to use the mk1 seat or the 900 seat. I like the back end of the 900, and I am not bothered about changing that. however the mk1 seat fits the mk1 tank, but doesnt fit the 900 back end. the 900 seat fits the 900 back end but doesnt fit the mk1 tank.  

I'll work something out. Id like to make the mk1 fuel tank larger, as its currently 2 litres smaller than the 900 tank.  I like my 200 mile tank range. 

some pics of my new acquisition:

YQ8zV3N.jpg

7sN6ACk.jpg

dRdo3IX.jpg

9znbKBa.jpg

ojcxPYR.jpg

IO30h0t.jpg

#358 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 09 November 2021 - 04:46 pm

Where there’s the will there’s a way!

The Mk1 is certainly the best looker of the TDM family but I do prefer the fuss free 900 as a practical tool. It’s a good combination that you’re looking at, I’ll be interested to see how you get on.  :tup:

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#359 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 November 2021 - 04:55 pm

The hamster cheeks are the only bit I don't really like about mine so that should be a good project, I'm just too lazy so put with mine as it is, I don't see it when I'm riding it.

I look forward to seeing it progress.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#360 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:04 pm

Have you got a 3D printer yet ?

Custom brackets in plastic are very doable, but if you're into metal it shouldn't be a problem to make the required brackets on your bench

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Norwegian