• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:15 pm

Prolly a bit late dabbers but alt holdy tool
http://www.carpe-tdm...-1264631253.jpg

Clutch holdy tool
http://www.carpe-tdm...-1264631345.jpg

Oooh lubberley, ya buy/borrow the alt holding tool, ya never knocked that up in the shed..............did ya :blink:

Aha the clutchy holder looks loike it may have been a cake trolley at some point in it's life ;) shall make one like it from two slot shelving uprights me thinks.. unless Dave lets me borrow a few more impact sockets of course.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#22 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:29 pm

Tis brilliantly simple dabbers.... Just a giant version of a strap wrench. Just a grooved belt bolted to handle, loops back and a metal tang to add tension. Use it alot on stubborn filters and alike.

I might even have a proper clutch holder somewhere if ewe need a loaner oi will have a brevit.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#23 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:15 pm

Would save quite a bit of faffing about if you do, it's a right ball ache setting everything up for a mini metal shop but ho hum when needs must.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:46 pm

Ah yes, clutch in neutral, now I remember. :lol:

A dremel should remove the lip/s on the camshaft bearings and you already mentioned prolly having to buy new buckets anyhoos.  Have at it, or let Nadi do it. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:03 pm

Ah yes, clutch in neutral, now I remember. :lol:

A dremel should remove the lip/s on the camshaft bearings and you already mentioned prolly having to buy new buckets anyhoos.  Have at it, or let Nadi do it. :)

Okeedokee but any advise on what to stick in the dremel, polishing stone mayhaps, dont think a grind stone might be such a good idea, i think 1st i will try and depress the bucket down onto the spring to see if it will do a zebedee :)

#26 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:17 pm

Burrrrrr removerz - gently does it with the dremel type machine

https://www.ebay.co....&frcectupt=true

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#27 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:39 am

Cheers Al, i got's one of them, but i think it's a ball, will order one thanks.

#28 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:36 pm

Found clutch hold tool, if you want lend just nod. Brand new unused.... I prefer me cakey trolley but not so easy to post.

Somewhere you posted about 29mm nut, which I thought were odd...can't find where posted now or may have imagined it but checked on one of garden ornaments. Clutch tool fits fine and 30mm socket will work fine for centre nut.

I also have short/long 30mm sockets if required. Non of my kit is impact though as don't have impact gun and never needed one... That might explain why I am so slow. ;0)

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#29 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:19 pm

Found clutch hold tool, if you want lend just nod. Brand new unused.... I prefer me cakey trolley but not so easy to post.

Somewhere you posted about 29mm nut, which I thought were odd...can't find where posted now or may have imagined it but checked on one of garden ornaments. Clutch tool fits fine and 30mm socket will work fine for centre nut.

I also have short/long 30mm sockets if required. Non of my kit is impact though as don't have impact gun and never needed one... That might explain why I am so slow. ;0)

Daps i hope you did'nt have to go hauling through boxes in the warehouse to find it :) thanks your a love however, gotta hold of Dave and will pick up a few more impact sockets before i'm off work to do the dirty deed, and yep about that 30mm clutch nut, since found out it's not 29mm, sure the 30 felt a little loose initialy ! maybe was the hot sun at end of the day, so should be good now mucka, thankee yew.

Edit..Slow is good eh.... just loike me sex life ;)

Edited by dablik, 23 April 2019 - 04:22 pm.

#30 Phracker

Phracker

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:27 pm

I see I'm not the only one stripping the motor down in this lovely weather.

#31 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:35 am

I see I'm not the only one stripping the motor down in this lovely weather.

Yup mines going the whole hog as well with a gearbox replacement and some more TLC.

#32 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:38 am

Clutch undone this morning

Attached File  20190426_094311.jpg   190.41KB   0 downloads

But having a little trouble wiggling the housing out, think it's caught on the primary gear maybe, anyone have a trick for removal ?

Attached File  20190426_094318.jpg   105.89KB   0 downloads

Other news, Flywheel removal not going to well, snapped an M8 HT bolt holding the puller in and the puller itself appears to be of the chocolate variant.

Attached File  20190426_092719.jpg   101.43KB   0 downloads

So need to decide what to do about the rotor now.

#33 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:42 am

oooops. :huh:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#34 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:00 am

While under tension a sharp tap on the centre bolt will often shock the rotor free. Oh and buy 10.9 or better bolts. HTH

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#35 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:40 am

Ooopsie. Did that chicken foot even have a flat side at the start?

HBs are normally reasonably tight but not rotor tight. It looks like a less bodgy solution than 3 legged puller but maybe not as useful then judging from that pic.

As favs says some tactical blows whilst under load can help.

Mayhaps we need to design a special robust tool for this job.

#36 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:07 pm

While under tension a sharp tap on the centre bolt will often shock the rotor free. Oh and buy 10.9 or better bolts. HTH

Cheers Al, will source some new bolts.

#37 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:14 pm

Ooopsie. Did that chicken foot even have a flat side at the start?

HBs are normally reasonably tight but not rotor tight. It looks like a less bodgy solution than 3 legged puller but maybe not as useful then judging from that pic.

As favs says some tactical blows whilst under load can help.

Mayhaps we need to design a special robust tool for this job.

No flat side daps it's rounded on both, dont think it's up to pulling this rotor off anyhoo, i can get steel plate of ebay, in fact one chap will centre hole a round steel disc which would help then i would need to drill for the tension bolts, dont fancy chuckin a 3 legged puller onnit but may be best solution now.

Biggest concern now is how to remove the broken HT bolt, not sure an extractor will remove it givin the amount of torque it broke off at, i expect i'll need to get it out as the puller becomes lopsided with only 2 bolts in, funny that as the proper Yam tool appears to only use 2 bolts.

#38 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:19 pm

Ewwww bolt broked off inth'ole, missed that bit. Booger.

Do you gots pic of the yam tool?

#39 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:29 pm

Oh this one has provision for 3 bolts

Attached File  yamaha_908900136200.jpg   25.09KB   0 downloads

It's the picture of the one in the Haynes manual which show's one with only 2 bolts.

Will have a measure up of the rotor, perhaps a 3 legged puller may fit, if so i can get one local, although not to mega excited about using it.

Edited by dablik, 26 April 2019 - 12:34 pm.

#40 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:38 pm

No flat side daps it's rounded on both, dont think it's up to pulling this rotor off anyhoo, i can get steel plate of ebay, in fact one chap will centre hole a round steel disc which would help then i would need to drill for the tension bolts, dont fancy chuckin a 3 legged puller onnit but may be best solution now.

Biggest concern now is how to remove the broken HT bolt, not sure an extractor will remove it givin the amount of torque it broke off at, i expect i'll need to get it out as the puller becomes lopsided with only 2 bolts in, funny that as the proper Yam tool appears to only use 2 bolts.

Similar to my homemade wan.  Takes a bit of thinking when working out where to drill the holes for the 3 bolts.  You'd also need the centrehole threaded, or a nut welded over it, so's you can screw the big bolt inunaaat like.

It's essential that the 3 bolts are perfectly level/in parallel as if one is slightly longer the puller will pull to the side, or the bolt will snap.

Feelin your pain bro.

Oh and, iirc the clutch basket should GENTLY wiggle/prise/lever off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users