Photo
- - - - -

Increasing Travel Of Front Forks , Possible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ratson

ratson

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 March 2020 - 11:15 am

Hi, for long time I'm thinking of increasing fork travel on stock forks of 900', I know it's done successful on V-stroms.

Yamaha claims 150mm of front fork travel but this is  so far from the truth, I've tried everything on bump road and ofroad and I've never have more then 100-110mm useful travel... around 15mm is taken from damper rod spring, so Yamaha sorry on front fork you can't get more then 130mm on stock setup.

On V-stroms is done by increasing fork damper rod length( some of them as far as 40mm), so increasing fork travel and ground clearance by almost 30mm.

My rear end is already higher by 20mm by adding shim under the top shock bolt(can be further increased no problem) or putting hayabusa rear shock first generation until 2006, 330mm rear shock 5mm longer then TDM and stock spring is rated same as TDMs ) with 6mm more shock stroke( should end up with 20-30mm more rear wheel travel).

My question is did anyone tried this already and can you dissemble damper rod, from pics looks like the tip is removable and can be extended or new one longer can be machined and put like sleeve. Pics are from CMSNL page and from one of CARPE members when he was modifying damper rod for emulators, ignore the extra holes .

I think extra 25mm can be added easily and that's extra 25mm of travel and around 15mm ground clearance.Or can the top of the damper rod where rebound adjuster is be dissembled and to machine longer damper tube and put it in place?

What do you think or know, and yes I ride TDM 900 light offroad too.

Attached Files

Edited by ratson, 08 March 2020 - 11:21 am.

#2 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:54 pm

This is just a guess but longer springs?

#3 ratson

ratson

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:58 pm

No need, nothing is changed in lenght after the damper rods in uper part of fork. Increased lenght of damper rods doesnt change the distance of upper legs. They just travel further down . And I already have Wilbers much longer then original shorties(poor excuse for a fork spring) and they have enough length in them so they don't bind on longer compression stroke.

So does anyone know are damper rods meant to be pulled apart(in different parts) or no

Edited by ratson, 08 March 2020 - 02:25 pm.

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:32 pm

No, they are one piece. The spring in the picture is the top out spring which stops the forks "crashing" on full extension. Have you measured your travel to include this?

The bottom of the damper rod fits into an alloy tapered spacer part number 1j2b0-300e1 

Both parts are secured to the fork leg by the 8mm allen bolt. It may be easier to machine a longer alloy spacer than cut and weld the existing damper rod. 

Spacer is #11-29 in the diagram yamaha-tdm900a-2010-2b08-europe-1j2b0-30

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users