32 replies to this topic

#1 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:00 pm

This is driving me nuts. My 9'er started and ran fine about 2/3 weeks ago. I've not been able to ride it (wrist is in plaster). Came to start it again just to keep running it until I can get out riding again and it won't start.

I've tried:

Charging the battery (twice)

Checked the plugs and there is a spark.

Fuel pump sounds like it's priming. 

I took one of the hoses off under the tank, switched ignition on and got sprayed with fuel.

Checked the error codes . History shows 19, 20, 22 and 30 but each shows clear now, but only the 30 should prevent starting(?) and the bike has run since is was dumped after being nicked.

The starter turns over ok.

Clutch lever pulled in to mitigate side stand sensor issues.

Half a tank of fuel.

Tried closed throttle and opening the throttle

However, I sometimes get smell of fuel but not always (?). 

I know it'll be something simple but at the moment I don't know what that something is.

#2 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:04 pm

So you've got evidence of fuel, spark and presumably compression. That should equal a running engine, provided all are present in the cylinder.

I can only suggest, given the bike was dumped, that some crud loosened by the dumping has finally worked its way into the fuel supply downstream of the pump and blocked it, preventing the fuel getting to the cylinder.

Good luck.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:23 pm

With the tank up you should be able to disconnect the return pipe from the fuel rail, above the throttle bodies. Also the pipes are self closing so when you disconnect them there is no flow, but, when you reconnect them , if they are not full mated you could find the fuel isn't flowing because the shutoff mechanism is active. It might be worth checking the fuel system. Also with the throttle wide open you should be able to shine a torch down the inlets and see fuel being sprayed, for additional confirmation

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:20 pm

Could it be a problem with the cold start mechanism I wonder ?

Also, I seem to remember someone having a similar problem that was caused by an iffy ignition switch, a few on n offs of said switch and it started.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:17 am

Thanks guys I'll give all those a try.

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:55 pm

how old is the fuel?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:06 am

I had to much stuff attached on  the key ring , took off the crap and left with the ign key only , less weight , problem solved , hope this helps :good:

#8 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:18 am

I had to much stuff attached on  the key ring , took off the crap and left with the ign key only , less weight , problem solved , hope this helps :good:

Excess metal work around the keys upsets the immobilizer coil located around the switch

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:04 am

not the first time i have read this.  I'd also hook up a different battery and give it a go.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#10 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:04 pm

how old is the fuel?

Put it in end November

Thanks. Sadly I only used single key. I tried both black and red.

not the first time i have read this.  I'd also hook up a different battery and give it a go.

Battery is only 6 months old (YUASA) but I'll give that idea a try. 

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:26 pm

Try starting again and re-check codes Kieth, wonder if the crank sensor has gone west, just a thought and it will swap with i think the speedo sensor to try, bit of a pain but might be last resort effort...Also a corroded connector cable under the tank has been found on 2 occasions i remember, wire had corroded through, CB was one of them...

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:11 pm

is there a tip sensor which shuts off  the injectors ?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:45 am

that fuel is getting on a bit,  cud be ok but i'd wanna rule it out. 

#14 SJCA

SJCA

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:17 pm

Have you tried bump starting it? You will probably need someone to give you a push !!

#15 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:42 pm

Try starting again and re-check codes Kieth, wonder if the crank sensor has gone west, just a thought and it will swap with i think the speedo sensor to try, bit of a pain but might be last resort effort...Also a corroded connector cable under the tank has been found on 2 occasions i remember, wire had corroded through, CB was one of them...

Thanks Cliff, I'll check all of them to rule out.

Have you tried bump starting it? You will probably need someone to give you a push !!

Thanks. The road is level by us so no nice hills to roll down, will leave that for now but it's one to remember.  

that fuel is getting on a bit,  cud be ok but i'd wanna rule it out. 

Thanks. Fuel has been on my mind too. I was concerned that any water would now be in the system. I'll go for Cliffs options first but draining and cleaning out the fuel system is now on my list to try.

is there a tip sensor which shuts off  the injectors ?

Thanks Andrew, do you mean the lean angle sensor? If so, I have had it trigger in the past but it shows as clear now.

#16 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:48 pm

I personally would not worry about the fuel if its been in since Nov 2019, lots of additives in it nowadays,

in the last month I have stared 3 bikes an SP1 fuel been in since July 2017, a Blackbird fuel been in since Feb 2017 and another Blackbird the fuel had been in since 2011,

all started with a jump, no fuel change, 

I think lots of people leave bikes with fuel in them for long period's, especially through winter, I bet Sidestand has a few that do?

#17 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:38 am

I know you have charged the battery, but is it a good one, the 900 needs a hell of a lot of whack to get it started, as for bump starting it from cold, good luck with that! I did it once and it nearly finished me off! Otherwise Im sure itll be something simple, like a connector or broken wire, the problem is finding it!

Edited by chrisr, 22 March 2020 - 10:39 am.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:35 am

I personally would not worry about the fuel if its been in since Nov 2019, lots of additives in it nowadays,

in the last month I have stared 3 bikes an SP1 fuel been in since July 2017, a Blackbird fuel been in since Feb 2017 and another Blackbird the fuel had been in since 2011,

all started with a jump, no fuel change, 

I think lots of people leave bikes with fuel in them for long period's, especially through winter, I bet Sidestand has a few that do?

ya i have managed to start bikes before on old fuel but i no longer risk it.  Fuel can go off quicker than you think. 

#19 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:08 pm

OK tried again today. Fuel is going in ok but now I don't have a spark, so will look at that next. Weird thing re the battery. My multimeter reckons I have about 12 volts across the battery but the diag mode reckons I have 11.1. Battery is a YUASA bout 6 months old. I tried charging with a different charger but same as the other. Will hook it up to my car battery next week.

Went through the diag modes again as Cliff suggested, cleared down the history. The only one that confuses me is number 2 atmospheric pressure says 101?

Something else, the manual I've got says when using diag mode to check things, for the coils (30,31) and injectors (36,37) the engine warning light should flash but it doesn't.

Will try to rig something to lift the tank - probably use a step ladder, hard work with one hand though :lol: . That'll teach me not to fall off steps!

I know you have charged the battery, but is it a good one, the 900 needs a hell of a lot of whack to get it started, as for bump starting it from cold, good luck with that! I did it once and it nearly finished me off! Otherwise Im sure itll be something simple, like a connector or broken wire, the problem is finding it!

Chris -  I have only got it started from cold once with a bump. 4 guys pushing down hill! The battery dies fairly quickly from cranking so might be a fault.

#20 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:31 pm

I'm still thinking of a dodgy ignition switch. Graphite grease down the lock and copious wiggling sorted mine - don't use WD40

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users