#21 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:49 pm

A healthy battery should be reading around 12.8v anything less than 12.5v could be an indication as to why it won't start.  It might not have the oomph (amps).

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#22 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:11 pm

A healthy battery should be reading around 12.8v anything less than 12.5v could be an indication as to why it won't start.  It might not have the oomph (amps).

Thats what I was worried about. Trying car battery today.

I'm still thinking of a dodgy ignition switch. Graphite grease down the lock and copious wiggling sorted mine - don't use WD40

Thanks, i'll give it a go.

#23 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:12 am

Thats what I was worried about. Trying car battery today.

Thanks, i'll give it a go.

yes there have been a few cases with TDM 900 ignition barrels playing up,  personally i reckon they suffer if they have too much weight dangling from them with additional keyfobs, house keys, padlock key to the male only S&M gear, etc etc

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#24 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:28 am

yes there have been a few cases with TDM 900 ignition barrels playing up,  personally i reckon they suffer if they have too much weight dangling from them with additional keyfobs, house keys, padlock key to the male only S&M gear, etc etc

but I do find the gimp mask appropriate for supermarket shopping these days

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#25 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:42 am

but I do find the gimp mask appropriate for supermarket shopping these days

the mask on it's own wouldn't be too much of a problem but the cue ball is a step to far.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#26 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:11 pm

I don't have a padlock key or fob on mine.

#27 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:20 pm

OK so I've tried new battery and gone through all the connections under the tank. I've opened the up each connector, blast with brake cleaner to get rid of any loose dust, checked each connector for continuity - ie tested each end of the connector where the wires go in. I've checked the immobiliser connection and it appears to be working i.e. bike will turn over but no fuel pump when it's disconnected. I've loaded the barrel up with grease, tried both black keys again and given them a wiggle. 

I'm still not getting any errors in diag mode. The resistance of the coils is within tolerance. I guess the next thing is off with the ignition barrel.

While I had the tank up I checked the cold start mech just in case. 

I'm still not getting any errors in diag mode. The resistance of the coils is within tolerance. I guess the next thing is off with the ignition barrel and see if I can find any problems with that. All the fuses look test ok. 

Edited by TKH, 25 March 2020 - 01:27 pm.

#28 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:19 pm

OK so I've tried new battery and gone through all the connections under the tank. I've opened the up each connector, blast with brake cleaner to get rid of any loose dust, checked each connector for continuity - ie tested each end of the connector where the wires go in. I've checked the immobiliser connection and it appears to be working i.e. bike will turn over but no fuel pump when it's disconnected. I've loaded the barrel up with grease, tried both black keys again and given them a wiggle. 

I'm still not getting any errors in diag mode. The resistance of the coils is within tolerance. I guess the next thing is off with the ignition barrel.

While I had the tank up I checked the cold start mech just in case. 

I'm still not getting any errors in diag mode. The resistance of the coils is within tolerance. I guess the next thing is off with the ignition barrel and see if I can find any problems with that. All the fuses look test ok. 

I would put the multimeter on the switched side of the coil, while the engine turns over, to check it's switching down. And then do the same on one of the injectors. Both coils and injectors have a permanent 12V supply on one side, and the other side is switched down to ground to activate it

If they're both being pulsed then you can probably infer that the ignition control system is working.

I would take the fuel rail return pipe off and see what's happening with the fuel as you crank the engine, obviously some petrol could spurt out of there so have something to hand to catch it. Then that would prove that fuel is moving through the fuel rail , preferably under pressure.

I would normally think that if the fuel pump is activating then fuel will be flowing, but if the pump or fuel pipes in the tank have split or have another fault, then you won't have much pressure at the injectors

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#29 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:07 am

I would put the multimeter on the switched side of the coil, while the engine turns over, to check it's switching down. And then do the same on one of the injectors. Both coils and injectors have a permanent 12V supply on one side, and the other side is switched down to ground to activate it

If they're both being pulsed then you can probably infer that the ignition control system is working.

I would take the fuel rail return pipe off and see what's happening with the fuel as you crank the engine, obviously some petrol could spurt out of there so have something to hand to catch it. Then that would prove that fuel is moving through the fuel rail , preferably under pressure.

I would normally think that if the fuel pump is activating then fuel will be flowing, but if the pump or fuel pipes in the tank have split or have another fault, then you won't have much pressure at the injectors

Thanks. That's a good thought. I'll give that a go.

#30 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:04 am

Fixitsan / Studley / et al

Isn't there one particular electrical plug/socket that corrodes or suffers from vibration and one of the wires needs to be cleaned up or re-made?  I cannot remember where it is but i assume tis under the fuel tank.

#31 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:09 am

Your right Ken, been mentioned further up the posts, but oi fink he's been and checked it, bit of a mystery this one innit..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#32 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:16 am

Fixitsan / Studley / et al

Isn't there one particular electrical plug/socket that corrodes or suffers from vibration and one of the wires needs to be cleaned up or re-made?  I cannot remember where it is but i assume tis under the fuel tank.

Yes it's a relay under the tank. The symptom which I had was that the fuel pump wouldn't fire up, but everything else seemed okay. Off the top of my head I think I had an error code

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#33 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:46 pm

With a dicky ignition switch the engine turns over as per normal but the engine won't fire up. It happened with mine a few times til I cleaned down the barrel with electrical cleaner spray and used graphite grease down the keyhole, wiggling it on/off for ages til it worked

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users