#1 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:47 pm

Just toying with the idea of removing the LHS (alternator) cover from my 900 engine to repaint, as it's badly corroded / blistered, and I appear to have looaads of time on my hands, but,I did an oil change not a couple of hundred miles ago, to the tune of £40, so, how much oil will I loose. I assume most will be in the tank, and if I keep the bike leaning to the right, loss will be minimal. Am I wrong?
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:10 pm

If you keep the bike leaning to the right, loss will be minimal capn.

Edit: hmmm I did have a spare Juan of them in not bad nick but that mighta gone to SR at some point, might be worth seeing if he still gorrit.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:13 pm

Thanks Daps, I thought of a replacement, but not many aboot. Then I'd probably paint this one for the learning curve anyway, so given the time I have, may as well paint anyway...but....are you listening Studley??

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:16 pm

Unfortunately, mine was passed on to the buyer of my 9'er.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:18 pm

He's a good listener though Capt. :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:24 pm

More of a plain old nosey bassad really. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:19 pm

Thanks for earwiggin' Ian,it's plan A then. Right....on line shopping.....

#8 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:30 pm

Yep, as our badgery master says, lean it to the right and there won't be much oil loss. I did mine a couple of years back, I managed to find a nice case on the bay of eees to replace my old one, which had almost corroded through!. A couple of points to watch for:

1. Brace yourself Captain!! The stator magnet is a powerful beast. Get yourself comfortable and gently ease it off (and back on again), while maintaining alignment. The magnet will attempt to pull everything off line.Be firm and masterful .
  2. Be gentle too. The wiring to the stator won't take much abuse, so go gently removing everything. Won't be a problem for you I'm sure, I'm told you have a very gentle touch  ;)

Good luck  :good:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#9 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:55 am

Where'd you get your paint Captain? Need some for my old girl.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:58 am

ya does anyone know the paint code for TDM 900 enjuns?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:09 am

Thanks chaps, especially Chris for the compliment, but I'd be wary of your source!!

Havn't got paint yet, but I'm not really bothered about a colour match...(I'm sure that's been covered here somewhere) because like old Fordy said..."any colour as long as it's black".......black...everything's black...black as jet....black as coal.....

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:29 am

Can you get dayglo black?

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#13 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:07 am

Tip to get cover off without problem from the magnet grab, screw three pieces of all  thread (6 inches +) equally spaced around the casing after removing case screws and watch out for the starter pinion dropping out, with shim. Good luck :good:

Edited by Rallyist, 27 March 2020 - 09:07 am.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:07 am

Yes Capn it aint so scary and although Chris is right about your gentle touch (oh the memory) it's time to be firm and masterful, forego the girly touch this time :wub:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:55 am

+1 wot Rallyist sez about the M6 dreaded bar (studding) coz it saves clonking the stator windings orf the rotor

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#16 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:30 am

Tip to get cover off without problem from the magnet grab, screw three pieces of all  thread (6 inches +) equally spaced around the casing after removing case screws and watch out for the starter pinion dropping out, with shim. Good luck :good:

Great idea.  :good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#17 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:33 pm

Bit concerned now after Matlock's comment about being corroded almost completely through. Got feeling mine may be too, so, delaying this and sourcing a replacement just in case.

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:18 pm

Bit concerned now after Matlock's comment about being corroded almost completely through. Got feeling mine may be too, so, delaying this and sourcing a replacement just in case.

mmmm best check mine on No.7 as thas paintless (pantless if it was a 9er) too.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:28 pm

Tip to get cover off without problem from the magnet grab, screw three pieces of all  thread (6 inches +) equally spaced around the casing after removing case screws

Actually, I think that's what I ended up doing, I've probably still got the threaded bar knocking about in the garage somewhere. I can post them to you if I can find them and and you can't get out. 

Took me a couple of years to find a decent one. Mine was the worse one I've ever seen, it'd done 88k miles of all year riding when I changed it. I doubt that yours is anywhere near as bad as mine was, it'll rub down and respray fine, I'm sure :good: . 

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#20 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:04 pm

ya does anyone know the paint code for TDM 900 enjuns?

I used this on my 850 and it was a good match.  Looks close to my 2004 9er.

Sorry, pic won't upload.

MOTIP AUTOLACK ACRYL 51084

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users