6 replies to this topic

#1 Tedious93

Tedious93

sticking around

• 21 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 April 2024 - 02:25 am

Hi All,

I have a USA '93 850 that I'm putting back into service. After removing the battery and bracket to get batter access to the carbs I'm reinstalling the bracket only to encounter a small tab with a hole welded to the right (as you sit on the bike) frame rail. Try as I might, it keeps me from lining up the bracket correctly with the mounting screw holes on the same side. Following the service manual for routing the hoses properly (or improperly IMHO), I cannot for the life of me surmise what early good this tab does.

I'm thing of just flattening the sumbitch against the rail for more clearence. Am I missing something?

#2 Tedious93

Tedious93

sticking around

• 21 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 02:32 am

Make that the LEFT frame rail and EARTHLY good ... blame the Buttery Chardonnay.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,777 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 April 2024 - 07:40 am

Hm, cant think on which tab your talking about now, had mine in and out eleventymillion times without muchado, needs a peruse of photo's.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Tedious93

Tedious93

sticking around

• 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 10:14 pm

Here's a bit of what's going on. On the left side of the bike there were no less than 5 hoses running in this area (under the battery bracket) I have rerouted the vacuum line under the bracket to the right (out of the picture) and virtually eliminated the airbox drain hose. I am holding the vacuum line in my hand next to the two fuel lines. The dumb tab is shown next to the bracket flattened against the frame rail. All of this made a getting the fuel petcock in and out with the tank much easier.

Why Yamaha chose to run all these hoses at this one choke point is anyone's guess. Maybe it looked good on paper.

The second pic is what I did to the airbox drain. I don't over oil my filter nor do I get into deep water so there it is.

Attached File  TDM Hose 1.jpg   132.59KB   0 downloads

Attached File  TDM Hose 2.jpg   124.7KB   0 downloads

#5 dablik

dablik

• 10,777 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 09:54 am

It's been a few years now and the bike is long gone, however in the photo where your fuel lines run and just about where they have the sleeve over to protect is a frame guide for the hoses which i think is what your referring to, i simply eliminated mine by cutting it off because as you mentioned it was very crowded, especially as i had replaced the hoses with more E10 friendly stuff with a bigger outside diameter, then used cable ties loosley to hold it all in place.. If i needed to remove the petcock after that i simply left the hoses in-situ and removed from the petcock itself, a bit fiddly but doable..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Tedious93

Tedious93

sticking around

• 21 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 02:55 pm

I'm glad to hear you disposed of the frame guide (dumb tab). I thought I was missing something important.

As for E10 and the lines, mine have had E10 in them as long as it's been in the US and yet to see any real degradation (keeping my fingers crossed). Oddly, my petcock developed a weeping at the brass outlet and I had to replace it as it was more than just the rubber bits inside.

I imagine larger dia. lines would dictate a similar strategy as mine as there simply isn't enough room in that area. Alternatively I've throught about running the coolant line down the right side of the bike, then over to the reservoir.

Anywho, thanks for your response.

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,777 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 08:10 am

No problems running E10 either but i had also fit the carbs with everything viton including the butterfly shaft seals, having initially put generic fuel hose (ebay special) on the bike it was utterley degraded after a year, the leak from your petcock was probably from the reserve nipple on the back, it's held in with the tiniest of o'rings which i could never find a replacement for..easy to dislodge if the holding bolt on that side is a smidge too long.. done the same with the coolant pipe also, and re-routed other stuff as necessary.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users