6 replies to this topic

#1 Max1983

Max1983

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:45 pm

Hi All,

So, when I bought my 3DV last year the previous owner has attached a cigarette lighter charger to the battery, so over the winter I have ran my car sat nav wire from the handle bars under the tank into said socket. I also have a battery optimizer attached to the battery. I took the bike out yesterday with the sat nav attached so I could test, however after a couple of hours when I stopped  for fuel the bike wouldn't start again and the battery was completely flat. This wasn't the first time I had stopped during the ride, it was probably about the 3rd time I fired the bike up in those 2 hours. I bumped started the bike and got home, plugged back into the optimizer and after a few hours the battery was charged.

Now what was the cause of this? Was it because I have attached the sat nav directly to the battery, therefore when the engine is not running the sat nav is still drawing power from the battery and thus eventually draining it?

In my mind there are 2 solutions to this and wondered what other owners had done.

Solution 1 - Each time I ride with the sat nav and come to a stop (for fuel, brew etc.) I should unplug the wire from under the seat to stop the sat nav drawing power. Simple solution, just need to remember to do it.

Solution 2 - Wire the sat nav up to the rear brake light switch so that it only draws power when the ignition is on. I am no expert when it comes to electrics, therefore has anyone done this and would anyone suggest that this is the better option, also how do I do this?

Thanks

Andrew

#2 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:05 pm

Can't you simply switch your satnav off? If you only filled up with fuel, it's unlikely a satnav would drain your battery in a few minutes. You sure your battery isn't in the way out?
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:19 pm

Front brake light switch might make more sense for satnav, my heated grips are wired through there.

Worth checking your bike's charging properly, reg/reg failures are fairly common on the Mk1, if you've got a multimeter have a quick run through this http://www.electrosp...ing-diagram.pdf

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 Max1983

Max1983

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:44 pm

Can't you simply switch your satnav off? If you only filled up with fuel, it's unlikely a satnav would drain your battery in a few minutes. You sure your battery isn't in the way out?

Thats what I thought, but as soon as I plug the wire into the charger, there is a green light on the sat nav wire indicating that power is being drawn, thus how I came up with solution 1.

Front brake light switch might make more sense for satnav, my heated grips are wired through there.

Worth checking your bike's charging properly, reg/reg failures are fairly common on the Mk1, if you've got a multimeter have a quick run through this http://www.electrosp...ing-diagram.pdf

Thanks, are there are stickies on here that gives a guide on how to do this?

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:18 pm

Best way is connect accessories socket through a relay so when bike is off socket is off. Use a feed which goes live on ignition to control relay.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:08 pm

I have a 12V cig socket in the dash - a marine one with rubber cover. It is wired from the ignition supply +ve and regulator -ve. A battery optimiser connects to it via a fused cig plug. Phone as sat-nav plugs in via a USB cig to USB plug.

There are no battery issues. Your symptoms sound like they would exist without the wiring mod.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:24 pm

Hi All,

So, when I bought my 3DV last year the previous owner has attached a cigarette lighter charger to the battery, so over the winter I have ran my car sat nav wire from the handle bars under the tank into said socket. I also have a battery optimizer attached to the battery. I took the bike out yesterday with the sat nav attached so I could test, however after a couple of hours when I stopped  for fuel the bike wouldn't start again and the battery was completely flat. This wasn't the first time I had stopped during the ride, it was probably about the 3rd time I fired the bike up in those 2 hours. I bumped started the bike and got home, plugged back into the optimizer and after a few hours the battery was charged.

Andrew, put a voltmeter across the battery and measure the voltage, with the ignition on, then with the engine idling, then with the engine at 3500rpm

Your problem is incredibly unlikely to be related to your satnav, which at the most will draw half an amp with a flat battery and much less if the internal satnav battery is fully charged. A half amp drain will reduce battery capacity (10Ah battery) 5% after 1 hour, if all other components are working correctly.

At least try the same without the satnav connected if you haven't got a voltmeter, but not having a voltmeter and having a motorcycle seems an unlikely thing to me :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sat nav, electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users