#1 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:07 am

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's EU law that all vehicle insurance must offer minimum (third party) cover in all EU countries. That being the case, surely that cover ought to be valid for the 365 days of the policy and not subject to different period limitations or any other vagaries insurance companies like to frighten us with. I say this because my policy states I can only ride in other EU countries for 30 day periods and a maximum of 90 days in a year and I wonder if that can be correct according to EU law. I want to stay for longer periods, maybe for 3 months one trip. Anyone know about this?

I'm surfing on my mobile and its harder to read all the different PDFs, etc.

Edited by muddy, 09 April 2016 - 11:08 am.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:56 pm

Hm not off hand Len, in years gone by i've had mates living in Germany with bikes/cars on English plates for a number of years so i'm assuming there must be a way, possibly a premium in the way of £'s but also considering the amount of people that are constantly on the road (bikers specifically) gotta be a way, no option to purchase on EU borders any more as their are'nt any, may soon change though  :rolleyes:

A quick look found this for starters, guess it's dependent on your Insurance company, should be doable.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:21 pm

Is your current policy fully comp ? There is an increased risk of accident while abroad, so even though you have the necessary third party cover anyway, you have an increased risk of accident the longer you stay abroad, and therefore increase the likelihood your insurance company will have to pay for the damage which occurs to others property.

But that all depends on the cover you expect to have while abroad. I'm fully comp in the UK, and I wouldn't like to think that I would be liable for the damage I may cause to others vehicles while abroad......and I don't suppose i would expect my insurance co. to charge me just the same whether i drive in a high risk location or just the UK

https://www.yourlega...aker-accidents/

Of course, accident risks quoted by insurance co's might sometimes be absolute worst case scenarios.... ;)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:10 pm

It would be interesting to see the stats, but I'm not convinced that there's an increased risk of accidents in many EU countries compared to the UK. The UK is one the most densely populated countries in the EU, so the roads are busy compared to say France, where I mostly tour. I certainly feel more vulnerable in the UK.

I am third party only, so was only wondering whether EU legislation compels insurance companies to offer same cover EUwide. I'm sure if it's the case they've factored it into their charges.

That article wasn't really that compelling. An increase in accidents without a breakdown of who, what, where doesn't tell us much.

Edited by muddy, 09 April 2016 - 10:19 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#5 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:40 am

If you are already third party, then it just boils down to whether the cover you have includes unlimited travel in Europe. If you have breakdown and recovery, in the worst case scenario, you could get the bike repatriated.
Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:27 am

It would be interesting to see the stats, but I'm not convinced that there's an increased risk of accidents in many EU countries compared to the UK. The UK is one the most densely populated countries in the EU, so the roads are busy compared to say France, where I mostly tour. I certainly feel more vulnerable in the UK.

I am third party only, so was only wondering whether EU legislation compels insurance companies to offer same cover EUwide. I'm sure if it's the case they've factored it into their charges.

That article wasn't really that compelling. An increase in accidents without a breakdown of who, what, where doesn't tell us much.

You'ld need to drill into Aviva to get the details.  I think that the situations described are easy to interpret as increased risks....but then there is little else in the article to compare to. (many people in the UK are confused by our own road signs sometimes !)

[Quote]

According to recent research by Aviva, nearly three quarters of UK holidaymakers become confused and are unable to follow the rules of the road and experience difficulties when driving on holiday.

Wrong side of the road...

Figures also reveal nearly 3 in ten of people say they have “misread or misunderstood” foreign road signs and more than 1 in five admit that they have actually driven on the wrong side of the road. More than a half of holidaymakers admit to getting lost when driving overseas (as well as in the UK) and 1 in 20 said they had been involved in an accident while driving on holiday.

Edited by fixitsan, 11 April 2016 - 08:28 am.

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:36 am

Maybe it's just the fact that virtually everywhere else in the EU is more dangerous than the UK (we have some of the safest roads in the EU), and therefore the risk factor is greater ?

[attachment=7884:EUroads.jpg]

Source - http://ec.europa.eu/..._evol_popul.pdf

#8 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:54 pm

Maybe it's just the fact that virtually everywhere else in the EU is more dangerous than the UK (we have some of the safest roads in the EU),

Not for bikers!

http://ec.europa.eu/...ty_rates_en.htm
Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#9 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:08 am

+1 to that....whatever the stats say !!

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:23 am

Not for bikers!http://ec.europa.eu/...ty_rates_en.htm

Nice stats....makes me think the weather is a factor for number of bikers per 1000 population .... !

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:40 am

Nice stats....makes me think the weather is a factor for number of bikers per 1000 population .... !

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the death rate by fault. Ild like to know if the death rate is a result of the actions of others, or how much the biker contributed. Something like 30% of all motorcycle accidents are single vehicle events, and mostly it involves excess speed on corners.

#12 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:29 am

Did you know most people have more than the average number of legs...... :)

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:53 am

Prolly because most peeps give birth to 2.4 children. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:24 am

Prolly because most peeps give birth to 2.4 children. :)

Not indigenous Europeans unfortunately. We're not even at replacement rates. And if you're German, you've beaten the Japanese in having the lowest birth rate of all, 8.2 per 1000. It's a very sad fact that at present rates we're going the way of the dodo and fast. So if any of you virile lot want to do a bit extra for Queen & country, or even help out our German friends when you're on tour, it would help. Think of it as a service :)

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:28 am

Not in the UK. Excluding immigrants the UK birthrate is under 1.8 ..... so thats one long leg and one slightly shorter one
Beat me to it Muddy !

All the fears of Britain being full will be gone in 30 years. ...when there aren't enough taxpayers to pay for pensioner's benefits

#16 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:05 pm

Not in the UK. Excluding immigrants the UK birthrate is under 1.8 ..... so thats one long leg and one slightly shorter one
Beat me to it Muddy !

All the fears of Britain being full will be gone in 30 years. ...when there aren't enough taxpayers to pay for pensioner's benefits

I think Britain will still have a high density population, just with fewer and fewer natives. I'm not going to get involved in who qualities as a native, there are many who can lay claim to that status (not me by the way), but it's terribly sad to witness a nation's people and rich history ebbing away. A tragedy really :(

#17 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:10 pm

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the death rate by fault. Ild like to know if the death rate is a result of the actions of others, or how much the biker contributed. Something like 30% of all motorcycle accidents are single vehicle events, and mostly it involves excess speed on corners.

How about very narrow country roads and plenty of potholes? I'm sure they help, I think the figures are not higher because of the paranoia of been hit in the wallet by big brother and his zillion cameras all over the place
Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:25 pm

How about very narrow country roads and plenty of potholes? I'm sure they help, I think the figures are not higher because of the paranoia of been hit in the wallet by big brother and his zillion cameras all over the place

Yep, I was thinking the same as i mulled the topic over on my commute this morning. A lot of Germans come to Scotland, particularly the northeast coast, to ride the empty rural roads. Accident rates on rural roads are high.....the accident rate for German bike tourists on rural roads might be hard to find ;)

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:43 pm

but it's terribly sad to witness a nation's people and rich history ebbing away. A tragedy really :(

Welll....England didn't exist until just 1500 years ago, and it got it's name from the Angles (Engles,) from Germany. Britains rich history comes from a majority of immigration settlement.....nothing new there !

My home county of Yorkshire has a very identifiable accent, which shares a huge amount with western Danish dialect, thanks to the creation of Danelaw on Great Britain, by Norse invaders just 1200 years ago. Explained in full here http://www.genuki.or...k/Chapter7.html

Britain is nothing short of one of the original cultural melting pots of the world.....and there are many myths - bagpipes are not Scottish, and Stonehenge is young compared to some most northerly henges.

On;y 300 years ago about 50,000 protestant French Hugenots escaped to, and settled in England. They were well received, but just like today they had their enemies....

[quote]

Industrious and unassuming, the Huguenots were generally well received - especially considering their numbers. Sympathy was extended to them as sufferers for the Protestant cause, although there was hostility on occasion, often motivated by fears that the French were depriving Londoners of work. One priest, Dr Welton, called them the 'offal of the earth'!

Integrating

976354c4a640e2089a6b1ebb0831b7dd268ef207
The mosque on Brick Lane was formerly both a Huguenot chapel and a Jewish synagogue.
© www. sublimephotography. co.uk

At first the Huguenots kept their own distinct identity, speaking in French and defending their religious congregations. As with many immigrant groups, the Huguenot churches were a connecting thread within the new community, providing welfare to the poor and support to new arrivals. Over time, however, the Huguenots assimilated into English society. There was a drift towards the Anglican Church, and names were anglicized - Ferret became Ferry, and Fouache became Fash - often due to mistakes made by English clerks!

With time the silk industry began to decline, and the Huguenots started to move out of the city, settling in the suburbs - a route which later immigrant groups were also to follow.

But traces of the Huguenots's stay are still visible in Spitalfields, despite succeeding waves of immigration. There are French-sounding street names, and the elegant Huguenot houses are well preserved. And it has been estimated that even today a quarter of London's population still has some Huguenot blood!

* More here http://www.bbc.co.uk...article_2.shtml

I have no idea how to drag this fascinating turn of conversation back to insurance......... ! :)

It makes me smile every time I hear Nigel Farage (UKIP party leader) complain about immigration, when record show that 300 years ago, the family name 'Farage' was held by just 4 British families, all new immigrants !

Edited by fixitsan, 18 April 2016 - 07:52 pm.

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:50 pm

Edited by fixitsan, 18 April 2016 - 07:51 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users