13 replies to this topic

#1 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:56 pm

I've had my TDM 6 years now, sold my last Blade 4 years ago with a view to replacing it with something other than a sportsbike, something that didn't have 4 cylinders and something that interested me. I'm a relative newbie to bike (17 years) so as gorgeous as they are I don't have nostalgia for bikes like quartermaster just bought, that and I wanted to buy something I could ride as much as I want.

So this popped up last week and I now find myself the owner of an SV1000K4 with 9,500 miles and a years MOT. For a 13 year old Suzuki its in pretty good condition, stand a pace away and you can take pride in it. Get up close and personal and there are plenty of imperfections, this isn't a bad thing as I can get pretty anal about keeping things mint (My TDM e.g.) Bought as it stands, no service book or history, no manual, no tool kit, no standard parts to replace the following 'improvements' Renthal bars, Yoshi cans (E stamped but removable baffles missing) tail tidy and mini indicators.

Its on badly worn road legal race tyres, I picked it up on a wet evening which made for an interesting ride home <shudder> These will be replaced with something much more road focused this week, and I've just returned all the suspension settings to standard.

My thoughts so far, it sounds epic and engine performance is very impressive. It would be unfair to judge how it handles as I've never ridden on tyres so badly out of shape e.g. the front tyre is squared off! My first V-Twin, looking forward to some sunny Sunday mornings now  :good:

Anyone any experience of Avon 3D Ultra Sport tyres? I use Avon 3D X-M on my TDM and really rate them.

Attached Files

• Attached File  5.JPG   191.07KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  1.JPG   221.91KB   0 downloads

Signature test

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:26 am

Doses'nt look bad at all Tully for a 13 year old, in fact it looks a lot younger, happy fettling, no experience of Avons i'm afraid, assume red is the faster version :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:35 am

Nice handling bikes the SV's.  I had a 650 and had a lot of character.

Check out "The Workshop" on YouTube.  He's got an SV1000 and is doing video's on maintenance and things that go wrong with them.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:49 am

Congratulations on yer noo steed.  Bet that'll be a lotta fun when you get it sorted. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:37 am

Bet it sounds nice

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:56 am

I rembember these when they came out. Stonking engine, but iirc these had tank slapper issues that had owners needing to fit steering dampers. Not sure if that ever got resolved, I think it put the mockers on sales.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#7 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:11 pm

I rembember these when they came out. Stonking engine, but iirc these had tank slapper issues that had owners needing to fit steering dampers. Not sure if that ever got resolved, I think it put the mockers on sales.

I remember the 90s TL1000s widowmakers. They had a weird rotary damper system in an attempt to reduce wheelbase. It didnt work. Seem to remember a Journo getting killed on one after it went into an unexpected slapper. Suzuki lopped of its balls and rebranded it the SV

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#8 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:30 pm

assume red is the faster version :)

Obviously, though its silver in 9ers  :lol:

I'm no expert in Suzuki (Or any brand for that matter) past models, but I believe the infamous widow maker - TL1000S had 130bhp and a rotary rear damper. The TL1000R had the same bhp with a more standard suspension set up.

The SV1000 to the best of my knowledge is a budget TL, it was re(de)tuned to 118bhp, smaller throttle bodies mean less bhp but better low/mid range performance apparently. Its fully adjustable front and rear, comes with a steering damper as standard across the front of the forks. I have rear they can be a but prone to a head shake.

All I confirm is it has more than adequate engine performance and sounds great. It's happy to pull without obtrusive vibration from much lower down the rev range than my TDM.

I rang today regarding getting the Avons fitted, my supplier can't get a rear as they aren't available from Avon atm and there's no estimated delivery date. (He can fit 016 Pros for £160 all in, an older design of tyre but much cheapness and not as old as the bike design!) I'm contemplating fitting a set of sports touring instead, Bridgetone T30 Evo or Avon 3D X-M or similar (Don't like the look of PR's) Maybe the less aggressive profile would help to settle the front, we'll see what he comes up with and make my mind up then. I'm not a fast now as I've convinced myself I once was  :lol: so ST would probably be fine. 

Signature test

#9 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:33 pm

My mistake. That was it, the TL. The SV must've been the softer rebrand.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#10 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:05 am

smaller throttle bodies mean less bhp but better low/mid range performance apparently. 

If I understand it right the smaller diameter TB's means air will travel faster through them, which at low rpm's improves cylinder filling and low down torque, but becomes a restriction at higher rpm's, so this is better for the road, less so for the race track.

#11 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:23 am

My tyre fitter sourced the rear 3D Ultra Sport from another supplier so my 9er (New tyres last week) and the SV are sitting on new boots ready to be scrubbed in, obviously in NI that means a dodgy forecast for the next few days, damn  :cloud9:

Attached Files

Signature test

#12 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:17 am

Looking better already !

Nice bikes those SV 1000's - always fancied one, but Suzuki pulled the plug before I got round to getting one - think they couldn't get it through the Euro 3 regs

Getting quite rare now

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#13 tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:19 pm

Over the winter a friend bought a DL1000 Vstrom (Mint 7 months old 2000 miles £7500) which is apparently based on the same engine as my SV. It's a really nice bike, not too tall, well equipped and at £10k new seems like very good value to me.

I was out for a run with him at the weekend, very impressive bike and perhaps worth considering as a TDM alternative as they become harder to find?

Signature test

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:23 am

The new model is a nice looker too.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users