#1 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:53 am

Been browsing t'interweb fer a noo flip helmet.  I was going to go for a HJC IS max 2 as I was assured they're waterproof, my LS2 isn't, neither is my Caberg. <_<  Anyhoos, went over to CMC and looked at the HJC and I thought they were a bit flimsy tbh, esp. the visor. Soooo, ruled that out and started interwebbing.  Price excludes me from getting a Shoei or Schuberth so I narrowed it down to Nolan.

First up is the N104 evo 

N104.jpg

I also found myself drawn to the N43e AIR. A modular helmet.

Nolan-N43E-Air-Voyage.jpg

I also discovered that Nolan do a helmet called a Grex which is a cheaper version of their Nolan helmets.  Here's the Grex G4.2

grex-g4-2-pro-kinetic-4.jpg

Soooooo, does anyone happen to own wanna these, or happen to have tried them on for fit ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:23 pm

I had an IS Max a while back - visor seal to helmet along top of visor was SHOCKING.

Might have improved with the v2.

Worth trying to find a Shark Evoline 3 for a good price, as they're meant to be great - and come with a good warranty.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#3 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:49 pm

If you have an extra small head then fc have a schuberth on sale at ~£200 at the moment https://www.fc-moto....Black-Matt-0008

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:38 pm

I had an IS Max a while back - visor seal to helmet along top of visor was SHOCKING.

Might have improved with the v2.

Worth trying to find a Shark Evoline 3 for a good price, as they're meant to be great - and come with a good warranty.

Interesting mine has been fine with no leaks whatsoever from the visor in 3-4 years of ownership, in fact it was my recommendation that got him looking at a HJC, i've had a few over the years without problems.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:44 pm

I have an IS Max (not the 2) and it leaks like a sieve along the top seal. Bloody comfortable though.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:16 pm

Think I need to find a Nolan stockist near me and go try one on, or wait for the NEC in November.

You tried adjusting the visor brackets Trev ?  Managed to get a tiny bit of play on my LS2 but still not enough to stop it letting water in.

Yeah, a small head would give me access to loadsa bargains.  Helmet city have Nolans at half price on xxs xs and some L sizes.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:18 pm

Ian Schuberth C3 has been superseded so expect some bargains floating around maybe some at the show

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:18 pm

Will do Graham. :good:  Think I'll wait until the show as I can try 'em on.  Can allus hunt for a bargain after the show if there's no deals worth having.

#9 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:22 pm

Been browsing t'interweb fer a noo flip helmet.  I was going to go for a HJC IS max 2 as I was assured they're waterproof, my LS2 isn't, neither is my Caberg. <_<  Anyhoos, went over to CMC and looked at the HJC and I thought they were a bit flimsy tbh, esp. the visor. Soooo, ruled that out and started interwebbing.  Price excludes me from getting a Shoei or Schuberth so I narrowed it down to Nolan.

First up is the N104 evo 

N104.jpg
I also found myself drawn to the N43e AIR. A modular helmet.

Nolan-N43E-Air-Voyage.jpg

I also discovered that Nolan do a helmet called a Grex which is a cheaper version of their Nolan helmets.  Here's the Grex G4.2
grex-g4-2-pro-kinetic-4.jpg

Soooooo, does anyone happen to own wanna these, or happen to have tried them on for fit ?

Studders, I had a Nolan N103 (predessor of the 104) for a good few years. Its probably the most comfortable helmet Ive ever had (easily equal to the Arai Tour X which I also loved). It had a great fit (obviously thats different for everyone) and seemed solidly made. Plush interior. Quiet (although I always wear ear plugs). Good venting (but also warm enough in colder weather). The visor was easy to get on and off. No leaks through the vents or around the visor. It was my first helmet with an integral drop-down sun visor - brilliant, I wouldnt buy a helmet without one now. The chin bar mechanism was easy to use even with gloves on (single handed operation) and felt really solid.

The only downside was the polycarbonate shell construction (though I never had a problem with that) and the weight, I cant remember what it was now, possibly approaching 1800g? Overall a fantastic lid though.

Edited by Jim, 07 October 2017 - 06:23 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:33 pm

Cheers Jim, good to get real life info. :)  Not too fussed about the weight, these Caberg's are around 1700-1800g. Waterproof is a must though, it can be really dodgy when the inside gets misted up and you're trying to navigate the A1 in a horrendous downpour.  And, once the inner gets wet that's it for hours, just keeps misting up.  :rolleyes:   Might go for a N103 yet, if the price is right, but I do prefer the look of the N104 evo.  The yellow wan is proper nice. 

#11 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:04 pm

I guess there are bound to be some improvements between the 103 and 104. Absolutely no problems with leaks on my 103 though. Im in the market for a new lid myself and might well have a closer look at the 104 too. The Blue one would go with my bike :)

Id like a Schuberth but tried a C2 when I bought the Nolan and they dont fit my head.

Edited by Jim, 07 October 2017 - 07:05 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#12 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:29 pm

You tried adjusting the visor brackets Trev ?  Managed to get a tiny bit of play on my LS2 but still not enough to stop it letting water in.

Probably a bit late for that now. The lid is over 5 years old and due for replacement. Despite the leaks, I'd buy another though.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#13 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:29 pm

I tried with mine, actually bought a new set of brackets as I wondered if mine were badly made...no real difference.

I got a really good seal from centre outwards for ~25mm, then it got worse to the point of non-contact on the outer edges of the visor.

I have to agree it was comfy, if a little on the weighty side for a flip.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#14 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:19 am

Having spent a small fortune on a Schuberth lid that went back to Schuberth twice but still leaked from the top of the visor I saw no point spending that sport of money again and have just splashed out £170 on a Nolan N87. So far it's all good, very comfy, quiet and no misting issues - Build quality looks good so it's hard to see what spending twice as much on a Schuberth gets you.

I've yet to give it the ultimate test in the rain but the visor seal does seem a lot better than my Schuberth.

I also picked up a Nolan N40-5 GT Classic Helmet which looks similar to the N43, (removable chin piece, visor etc) and while it has been perfect in the summer it is quite noisy and isn't really made for winter or wet weather as it leaked as much as the Schuberth.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#15 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:50 am

I did have a Nolan 103/102? flip helmet, seemed nice quality, well made, but veeeeery noisy, so didn't last ling, the noisiest helmet Ive ever had, but that would be prob 8 or 9 years ago, prob come on a  bit now, flip ups are never going to be as quiet as a full face though.

I know where there's a shoei multitec, white, doing nowt if someones after a flip

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:58 am

I might have had it if it'd had a sun visor Steve. :lol:

I looked at the N87, very nice looking helmet too, esp. the multi coloured blue red n white wan.  Still prefer a flip lid though.

Really annoying that helmet manufacturers don't seem to put any effort into weatherproofing their helmuts, I mean, we do live in the UK. :rolleyes:

Got an old Ride mag that reviewed 15 flip lids,  N104 didn't fare too well.  Webbikeworld were also disappointed with the sun visor mechanism, preferring the 103 wan.

Just dug out my old Justissimo helmet, only worn it half a dozen times.  Linings are in the wash so will see how that fares once I've freshened it up.  Seal looks good on this one, but it's a tight fit on me bonce.

Gonna wait for the nec show and try loads on before I go buying one.

#17 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:58 pm

I did have a Nolan 103/102? flip helmet, seemed nice quality, well made, but veeeeery noisy, so didn't last ling, the noisiest helmet Ive ever had, but that would be prob 8 or 9 years ago, prob come on a  bit now, flip ups are never going to be as quiet as a full face though.
I know where there's a shoei multitec, white, doing nowt if someones after a flip

What size is the shoei????

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:32 pm

It's a medium Chris.

#19 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:56 pm

Ian Schuberth C3 has been superseded so expect some bargains floating around maybe some at the show

My C3 leaks, but it's the most comfortable helmet I've had so far. A lot noisier than the C2 though. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#20 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:33 pm

I have had both original Concept and currently using a C2 and yes it does leak, on the original I glued a trimmed bit of a car wiper blade to the top edge of the visor which cured it, but it's a bit of a faf when replacing the visor. ;)

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users