#1 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:15 am

I bought these of EBay for £70, down from a much higher original price. Now I know why. They seem to be well put together with mouldef leather knuckle shield and a long wide cuff that makes it not too hard to get them over my jacket sleeves. So far, so good. I bought a medium fit and though the fit isn't bad for the span of my hand the thumbs especially are eeay too long and sort of flop about.

To operate I wired the connector socket directly to the battery and let it protrude through the top of the seat near the tank. To connect with the Y wires provided you pull some rather thick wires down each sleeve and another hang out from inside your jacket ready for connection. The sheer length of that wire is overkill and actually dangerous, which I'll get to in a sec.

This is where it all gets annoying. So I walk out to my bike on these cold and frosty mornings, with a long length of wire dragging behind me, having tumbled out of my jacket pocket. Never mind. Start the bike and get on, ease the gloves and connect each glove, then connect the plug from the long length running from the back of my jacket to the socket sat on the tank and the first thought is 'the fit is way too loose'. Sure enough not 10 minutes into my journey and there's a wire flopping around dangerously close to the bike chain. The weight of the slack and the lose connections mean constant disconnects.

In operation the back of my right hand felt nice and warm, the left hand less so and my fingers were icey. Since your fingers are the first part of your hand to get cold why no elements to warm them? And I found that the heat was erratic, toasty warm for a mile or so, then barely a glow. The gloves felt cumbersome and because of the long thumbs it was hard to use the bike switches. Poor design.

So I have to give these gloves a massive thumbs down.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:12 pm

I have the Weiss battery operated ones, hot enough for a winter's day and my commute but only two hours of life in the batteries on full power.
This is just enough for me to get to work and back but for a day out you'd have to be selective on their use our only use half heat.
At 200 quid they aren't cheap but definitely worth it, they are adequate without hand guards but excellent with.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#3 daveRapide

daveRapide

sticking around

• 33 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:47 pm

I am quite happy with handguards and heated grips. But I do have an Exo2 heated waistcoat, and it is absolutely superb - makes winter riding a positive pleasure.

#4 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:54 am

Had some electric inner gloves years ago.

1) they burnt me hands at town speeds and low air flow

2) forgot I were attached and yanked them of the battery

3) shorted out when they got wet and didn't work

Conclusion: FU

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#5 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:11 am

I use the Gerbing XR-12 (http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=33888) heated gloves and they're great. Came with a wiring harness similar to the EXO range (I never went down that route for the same reasons as muddy) but also can be used with Li-on batteries which fit into the cuffs. Get around 2 hours from the batteries on full power and heat right to the end of the fingers. Heating elements in the gloves covered by a lifetime warranty also.

Not cheap but really good quality, comfortable and toasty. I use them all year round, sans power in summer.

#6 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:14 am

I use battery gardening heated gloves over my normal ones. Not sure they put out a lot of heat but what there is plus now wearing two pairs I am well served.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gloves, Heated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users