23 replies to this topic

#21 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 August 2023 - 10:59 pm

I believe saddles/seats are another of those topics that are totally subjective… like oil or tyres.

If we’re just talking about arse comfort I find the standard 9er seat alright. For me, it’s back ache that calls time after an hour and a half. The first Mk1 I had way back when was also pretty comfortable for 100 miles or so when, again, back ache became the limiting factor.

I’ve come to realise that, in my case, the riding position - the relationship between the handle bars, foot pegs and seat - is far more important than the seat itself.

My KTM’s seat is rock hard but, strangely, very comfortable and the ergonomics are far better for my back than the 9er.

52671182886_909ae9c20b_c.jpg

Same with the Buell (now sold). A rock hard seat but very comfortable over distance and great ergonomics.

50986105077_07ca315fb1_c.jpg

I’m keeping the TDM though  :good: as Mrs James prefers the pillion ergo’s and I still like to ride it too. The Yam engine is quieter, smoother and the whole thing is more refined. The KTM is a bit more of an animal  :badgerrock:

26531921196_d19150b911_c.jpg

I first tried an Airhawk on my Africa Twin about 20 years ago, and that was after spending a lot of wonga on a custom seat job. Neither made any real difference to my riding range. 

3038831642_d6867e1004_c.jpg

On longer hauls I still tend to stop and stretch after an hour or so, particularly if I’m on Motorway’s, Peage, etc. if only to relieve the boredom.

Edited by James, 21 August 2023 - 11:05 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#22 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 23 August 2023 - 08:02 am

I keep changing feet positions as off parts of my bum come into contact with the seat.
Adding highway footpads give an extra dimension (when i remember to fold them down)

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#23 LeoD850

LeoD850

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 54 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 29 August 2023 - 10:44 am

I have not been on here for a long while. Went and got a VFR 800 FI, after my off on my 850 Mk2. Found the original seat a bit hard to take , and had to vacate after an hour or so on the road. I have since got a local car upholstery guy to shave a about 30 mm, off the top of the drivers seat position and insert a gel strip into this position. The difference is really good. 2 to 3 hours no stopping. It might be an idea. Goodluck !!!

#24 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 September 2023 - 09:15 am

Going back to 1990 when I joined the Prison service I was doing weekly 230mile trips from hampshire upto wakefield on a XT600 Tenere (kick start big tank jobby) did the 230 in one hit and when my bum went numb I could just about dangle both my feet just above the road and rock backwards and forewards until the blood started to flow and my backside woke up and I would be fine again for ages,that also warmed me up as well as it was October till Feb time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users