• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyRT92

JimmyRT92

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:29 pm

Getting a lot of crackle and pop on decel since swapping my carbs, the new ones are setup correctly (she runs better than ever) and I've checked for air leaks everywhere, including the exhaust - it's a viper 2 into 1 system. She wasn't doing this before the carb swap but she wasn't running correctly due to the Mikuni's developing their typical issues. Anyone got any ideas what it could be? Thanks.

#2 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:37 pm

Check your spark plugs are tight - had plenty of crackle & pop just before one of the plugs evacuated the engine
All gone now - I do miss it though

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:54 pm

Re-check carb rubbers to airbox.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:54 pm

Try riding my KTM, it sounds great because of the crackle and pop !

Carbs have to leak some fuel, that's just a product of the way they work so on over run you're getting a small amount of idle fuel. it might not all burn off because when you let go fo the throttle the timing retards quite a lot when compared to when you're accelerating.

Just enjoy it and smile ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:38 am

I had lots of it and found airbox leak, fixed it and still have the odd pop but kinda like it :)
Recently fitted db killers that took all of the popping away but removed them again cos bike was way too quiet
Enjoy those sounds it keeps it interesting

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#6 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:07 pm

I get crackle, pop and boom through the Kerker pipe when my mulching tubes are worn.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#7 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:17 am

i wouldnt have thought an airbox leak would make any difference at all to popping and crackling - its north of the butterflies. 

Unmetered air will cause problems, ie leaking in between the carb and the head, or an air leak on the exhaust.

Infact, I ran a trx850 with no airbox, you cant get more leaky than that!

Edited by Coxylaad, 26 April 2019 - 11:18 am.

#8 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:31 am

Also, you cab get loud pops and bangs when your idle mixture is too lean. I had this with my other bike, fitted with pod air filters. People next to the road got scared when I released the throttle... It in the end took me bigger idle jets to fix it. Probably not as bad in your case?
So if you're sure no air leaks are present, checking with brake cleaner or dedorant in a spray can with a running engine, try checking and adjusting the idle mixture screws

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users