#21 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:45 pm

Here's a 1980's Honda manual showing the fork oil specified is ATF https://www.bobisthe...0613_091940.jpg

The FT500 and XS750 had ATF in forks too

Edited by fixitsan, 12 April 2019 - 02:28 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#22 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:49 pm

ATF for forks, it is a long time since I heard that.  We used to use it in our bikes in the 60's and 70's and not just for light road use, also used it in my MX bikes. 

+1

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#23 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:38 pm

ATF is good for lubing guns if anyone is interested. Careful not to get any on the seals or it my end up deiseling on an airgun when you fire it. ............I'll get my coat :hide:

Edited by TKH, 12 April 2019 - 02:40 pm.

#24 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:43 pm

Proper furks don't need oil. Girdraulics.

You might find 15w a tad tick in comparison to old pickled onion water but maybe ya won't and since you already gots it, give it a go and report back.

The crazy Frenchman uses ATF and it's never done him any harm....
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#25 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:29 pm

The right stuff always was ATF, before fork oil came along.

Which fork oil should I use ? A 7.5W of one brand has the same viscosity as a 10W rated other brand, and even a 12.5W fork oil can have the same viscosity as another brand 10W, or even 7.5W.....which leads me to conclude one thing - if there is no standardisation of viscosity, relative to the weight rating, and considering that fork oil performance is directly related to viscosity, not 'Weight' rating, then what we need is an oil that is seal friendly, designed for pressurised hydraulic systems, has low moisture absorption, wide temperature range,and no matter which manufacturer you buy it from it has much tighter viscosity ranges than any fork oil. For example Dexron 2 has an almost identical viscosity across all manufacturers, because it is rated and specified , properly, in terms of viscosity.

You know where you are with ATF, it is a safe to use, standardised viscosity, with a predictable performance range, which is useful.

Here's a table of different viscosities of fork oils - https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/J/JakeSabre1_ForkOilCap1.jpg  Do you know which one you need ? Do you buy it by weight rating 'W' or buy lab tested viscosity ? Do you know that one manaufacturer's light oil is the same viscosity as another manufacturers mid weight oil ?

Dexron 2 has a viscosity of 37.5 at 40 celsius, and thins predictably with temperature. Meeting the standards set out for  General Motors Dexron II, Mercedes Benz and Detroit Allison C-3. In fork use, it is of about the same viscosity as Bel-Ray 10W. Possibly a bit too high for cartridge forks, but for TDM forks it's absolutely fine.

Super info there, Thanks  :good:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#26 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:34 pm

ATF also has higher anti foaming values than fork oil - it's designed with minimum foam for autoboxes which burn out their clutched if foaming occurs. Ideal for the shitty damper rod fork damping in the TDMs

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#27 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:46 am

Proper furks don't need oil. Girdraulics.

You might find 15w a tad tick in comparison to old pickled onion water but maybe ya won't and since you already gots it, give it a go and report back.

The crazy Frenchman uses ATF and it's never done him any harm....

Whale oil beef hooked ! :P

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#28 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:47 pm

Thought the crazy frenchman used mint sauce in his forks :huh:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users