• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:36 pm

So ya used ta be able ta leave fuel in the tank and not worry about it going 'off or stale'.  I get twitchy now if me chainsaw fuel is more than 4 weeks old but seeing as i get thru a fair bit s'not bin a problem.

On yer TDM's do ya drain the tank dry in the winter (will it rust a bit internally with no fuel in dare?) or do ya brim the tank and mix in an additive loike Seafoam etc?

What do ye recommend?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:01 pm

Change oil.
Fill fool tank if I can be bothered.
Don't leaf suspension hanging too long.
Check tyre pressures and start every month or so.

There are lots of other things but I never needed them: fuel additives, remove battery etc etc
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:12 pm

I use Millars dry fuel, absorbs water out of the fuel and gets burned with the rest.

optimate on a rota basis with the other bikes, wheel it back and forth every now and then.

I'm lucky my garage is part of the house so its quite warm in there although I put cloths on for dust

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:50 pm

If truly leaving never to be used for the whole season:

I'd drain the oil and leave it empty, drain the tank and run the carbs dry (for carb'ed bikes).  Take battery out and bring inside to the warm and give it a little charge now and again.

If a possibility you might use it now and again:

Fill tank with premium fuel (less ethanol, if any) and add a dash of stabiliser straight away.  Brim back up with premium fuel after any runs.

Personally I don't agree with the regular start up.  It simply means your cold starting your engine routinely and not getting the revs up to properly pump oil around.  Also possibility of then leaving condensation in there.  Better to take it for a proper run if you're going too to burn off any condensation.  If the choice is to start now and again, run it fully up to temp and let the fan cycle a couple of times at least to really get some heat into the oil and then give it some revs to get the oil flying around.

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:58 pm

$0.02

Battery on a normal battery charger via a timer switch set 4 times a day for 5 - 10 mins each time.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:53 pm

Battery monthly top up, never left on a battery disgorger/deoptimiser. It's not a religious thing, i have a voltmeter to hand and just check the batteries of my bikes once-every-time-it-feels-like-it's-been-a-while-since-I-last-checked, or ran it. It's amazing how quickly they can deteriorate once they drop below starting volts.

Never had a stale fuel problem, certainly not anything under 6 months of storage wise at least

Edited by fixitsan, 21 January 2019 - 04:54 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:01 pm

Oooh forgot most important thing .... Claim back remaining tax.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:22 pm

Fill the tank, battery on tender sharing, carpet under the wheels. Never had a problem. I would only start the engine for a run.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#9 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:26 pm

Nov - give it a damn good wash and polish up, lube chain, stick it up on paddock stands, fill the tank to the brim with fuel & additive and smother it with Oxford bike cover with heaps of blankets underneath especially under rear mudguard around seat/shock/battery box area, just to keep the chill & dust off in the garage, been doing it for yonks never had any issues yet on start up in April when it'll get another damn good clean, sling the battery on charge, fire it up, check it over - brakes, lights, so on and so forth, change the oil and away we go again  :good:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#10 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:45 pm

So ya used ta be able ta leave fuel in the tank and not worry about it going 'off or stale'.  I get twitchy now if me chainsaw fuel is more than 4 weeks old but seeing as i get thru a fair bit s'not bin a problem.

On yer TDM's do ya drain the tank dry in the winter (will it rust a bit internally with no fuel in dare?) or do ya brim the tank and mix in an additive loike Seafoam etc?

What do ye recommend?

Hang on. Do you actually get winter in Devon? ;)

Edited by Jim, 21 January 2019 - 10:45 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#11 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:50 am

Didn't think there was a need to add fuel stabiliser nowadays, especially for a few months?

oil change, top the fuel up, disconnect the battery, wipe down with ACF 50, all good for a lay off.

mind you mine does get used now and then, did 180 miles last wednesday, 150 of it twas pissing it down,

I have a mate who has numerous bikes with fuel in more than a couple of years old, all start and run first time, he does as above,

I personally wouldn't worry about petrol going off in a year 

wicki think your chainsaws different matter, 2 stroke ? 

#12 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:21 am

Didn't think there was a need to add fuel stabiliser nowadays, especially for a few months?

Completely agree it should be fine, as over winter the cold weather and brimmed tank reduces the higher volatiles from evaporating off.  The stabiliser is just a belt and braces approach.

It wont do any harm and I have some to put in the lawn mower as that gets left longer so I think why not.

As I say, using premium (super etc) is best as there's less ethanol (I think there's actually none at all in the UK super unleaded, not sure) so less chance of water absorbing in too.  Either leave it full or completely empty, not inbetween.

#13 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:30 am

Good covering with ACF before roads get salted and ride it on sunny winter days 😎😃

#14 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:49 am

I've never done any of this In the last 5 years after I stopped riding to work. 

Last ride of the year is usually September upto Scotland. Then I just pop it in the garage and put the optimate on. 

I always do a service in the spring or before the first ride of the year to make sure everything is OK before getting back on, then have the MOT a couple of months later in June. 

Not really Ideal, but its still chugging along.

#15 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:53 am

Searching around for info on ethanol content, I have come across Esso. It seems it depends where you fill up as to whether or not your premium fuel contains ethanol. For most of us premium fuel is ethanol free.

https://www.esso.co.uk/fuels-faqs
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#16 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:08 pm

cover it in acf 50 and ride in all weathers me

#17 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:24 pm

I was advised by a proper old school bike mechanic to fill up with the higher octane fuel from a none supermarket supplier at the end of the season due to having less ethanol, and leave older oil in and change for the new season ahead closer to spring time and the start of the season.

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#18 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:59 pm

Esso say:

The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5%ethanol as required under the Government's Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO). There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Shell say:

Ethanol is a renewable non-fossil fuel. ... This means that, in the UK, Shell regular unleaded and Shell V-Power unleaded are likely to contain some ethanol, but it will not be present at more than 5% (in accordance with current UK specification requirements).

BP:

It is restricted to special vintage car and powerboat racing applications. BP Ultimateis the highest octane retail fuel that BP has on the market. It has an octane rating between 98 and 100 and does not contain ethanol.

So it depends where you buy it from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users