#1 Phil McLaughlin

Phil McLaughlin

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 164 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:54 am

Hi All,

Car insurance is due and Im thinking about a 6 wheel policy (car and bike :-)  )

Has anyone got one of these ?  Any reccomended / avoid like the plague ?

Ive been browsing and the reviews of the companies are varied to say the least :-0

cheers

Phil

#2 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:50 am

Hi Phil,

I haven't got joint car and bike accident insurance, but I have got joint vehicle breakdown insurance with Start Rescue.  Their rates seem economical and getting breakdown insurance with them was cheaper for me than buying it bundled with the accident insurance.  Start Rescue also include "free" legal assistance if that's something you're interested in you won't need to purchase it via your accident insurance.

I have got two bikes insured through a multi-bike accident insurance policy.  This is cheaper than two seperate policies, but the drawback is that the policy only applies to me as a single rider, and I cannot add named drivers.  This has now added cost for me as to enable my son to ride one of the bikes I need to split the policy into two seperate insurance policies

Cheers

#3 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:50 am

I am in the same position but further complicated by my son residing in Ireland. I need that insurer to behave cos such cover is almost impossible to find. The other benefit of separate policies is that if the insurer is playing silly b....rs then you've got two vehicles to find cover for elsewhere. I am fortunate in having very low premiums anyway (so far..)
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:53 am

I'm not 100% sure but, it might be that you lose your NCD on your bike if you do get this type of policy should you revert back to insuring them separately.  Deffo worth finding out before you go ahead with it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:09 pm

......Alert!.......imprecise information to follow

I was tempted by the 'six wheel insurance' proposal (from Carole Nash).....
but when I investigated further, the complications / downsides proved to make it an undesirable venture...

Why's that (?) you might reasonably ask......and I have to admit that I can't remember
but a few points that may (have been) relevant:

'max.' NCB on both existing bike & car insurances...but possibly the overall benefit on a 6wheel policy not as significantly beneficial as on individual policies
I also had a multi-bike policy, so, in some way, an 8 wheel policy (even more so) didn't work

......and, by the bye, I've discoverd this year, that since one bike is on a SORN, it's cheaper to insure the bikes separately, the sorned one, accidental damage, fire & theft.....the TDM on a fully comp.

There! I warned that you'd be none the wiser......Jiff.

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:17 pm

The main problem I found when I had a quote was getting my bike and car policies in sync, I'd have needed to insure one for 6 months to get them inline, and then go to the 6 wheel, and the quotes just weren't competitive for me.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:02 pm

......Alert!.......imprecise information to follow

I was tempted by the 'six wheel insurance' proposal (from Carole Nash).....
but when I investigated further, the complications / downsides proved to make it an undesirable venture...

Why's that (?) you might reasonably ask......and I have to admit that I can't remember
but a few points that may (have been) relevant:

'max.' NCB on both existing bike & car insurances...but possibly the overall benefit on a 6wheel policy not as significantly beneficial as on individual policies
I also had a multi-bike policy, so, in some way, an 8 wheel policy (even more so) didn't work

......and, by the bye, I've discoverd this year, that since one bike is on a SORN, it's cheaper to insure the bikes separately, the sorned one, accidental damage, fire & theft.....the TDM on a fully comp.

There! I warned that you'd be none the wiser......Jiff.

+1, enquired about this with auntie carol as well , not as cushty as it sounded at the time

#8 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:12 pm

The main problem I found when I had a quote was getting my bike and car policies in sync, I'd have needed to insure one for 6 months to get them inline, and then go to the 6 wheel, and the quotes just weren't competitive for me.

........Ah yes!.......that was another factor

Jiff.

#9 Phil McLaughlin

Phil McLaughlin

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:47 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated. The policy renewalls are 6 months apart, so I did wonder about that. I had similar NCD issues when running a comany lease car alongside my own so that confirms my doubts. Mind you ive alreday saved £30 on the renewall by letting them know im looking :-) cheers

#10 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:05 pm

Two policies with CN are cheaper for me than a 6 wheel variety - they seem to be pretty good at letting you know.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#11 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:20 pm

I got well spanked :punishment: by Carol Nash a few years ago when I had one of these especially on the cover for 3 months for the Bike to bring it in line with the Car and the renewal premium the following year was eye wateringly expensive so I have gone back to separate policies.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#12 Phil McLaughlin

Phil McLaughlin

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:52 am

decision made then

thanks again