9 replies to this topic

#1 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:57 pm

Aha! but wait. It's not a which should I buy thread.

I have 2 wrenches

The first is a 3/8 drive Sealey covering 7-112 Nm.

The second is a 1/4 drive Nielsen covering 2.25-22.5 Nm.

Both wrenches were lent to my son in law to do some work on his motocrosser.

Just returned after a long absence, forgot he had then tbh.

Just check on them, & the Sealey has been left with tension on it for how long  :dunno: .

The small one has been left fully backed off, again not sure how long.

Now, I thought I had read somewhere that you leave with the slightest amount of tension on (i.e. not past the bottom mark, nor halfway up the scale), otherwise it can affect the calibration.

Can anyone confirm or deny for me.

Should I think about getting them calibrated, or would that be too costly. 

However, the last thing I want to do is damage something on the bike by over tightening a bolt.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:22 pm

Hm, leave mine with Tension off Rolf, think dappers is ya man for this one..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:42 pm

The sealey one may well have been poop before it was left wound on. :-)

If its a spring design (which those will be) then yes it can booger up the accuracy.

Drop it over next time ewe come over to help TAG with his front sprock and oil give it a lick wolfie.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:13 am

Take that to mean it's better to tension off then daps !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:43 am

A bit like an oil thread dabbers. Some manufacturers have advice such as rest at 30nm, some have a "halt" marking. Some have a dotted range for rest.

From doing thousands of wrenches I would say they are more likely to be out if left wound on....but is this cous its bad for wrench or cous peeps who leave them wound up dont look after their kit as well? Anywaya apprentices still get a kick up the rissole fur leafing them wound on.

In the case of the sealey... I would leave it at zero after use. Particularly if not used every day.

There is a useful torque wrench info thing somewhere onlion somewhere will have a dig ferret later

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:53 am

How far out have ones you've tested been, and do they tend to be out in a particular direction?  I'm guessing even 10% out on a 70NM nut isn't going to be a major problem but on an 8NM bolt in to a soft ally head it's more of a problem.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:14 am

Okay good info, mine gets to lie around for ages in between use and i is only a novice fettler so i'll leave em wound off cos i dont want a boot up me jacksy, i guess if the springs not under constant tension it cant get tired.

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:39 am

Sounds good to me dabbers is what I do wid mine.

UK industry standard is +/- 4%. Some companies insist not lower at all if for major safety critical raisin.

Elsewhere/some manufacturers is 10%. . . So you could buy a nice new snap on from US and it might be outside 4% as snap on have 10% tolerance. Haa! Or a snap on fails our 4% gods back for repair and still fails! :-o
Having said that it would be very unusual for snap on to be more than 4% out repaired or new.

#9 mototdm

mototdm

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 157 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:52 pm

Sorry posted in error DELETED

Edited by mototdm, 08 July 2016 - 06:54 pm.

#10 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:09 pm

The sealey one may well have been poop before it was left wound on. :-)

If its a spring design (which those will be) then yes it can booger up the accuracy.

Drop it over next time ewe come over to help TAG with his front sprock and oil give it a lick wolfie.

Whereaboots are you situated Dappers?

Off on Holibobs next weekend, but could do with a rideout when back.

For the record. I have always left mine wound back to the bottom scale mark.

Told the son in law that also  :rant: .

Funny how, when the kids bring back things that are no longer working, they didn't break it (pressure washer & wallpaper stripper spring to mind).

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users