• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:24 pm

Ok, Ok, this does no-ones street cred any good. But just a question for older folk, I've noticed some of my on-line motorcycling suppliers are offering support stockings and wonder has anyone tried using compression stockings on long rides ?   Are they any good ? Do they work ?

And don't worry, this will go no further, from me anyway. There will be no mention of astronaut nappies and peculiar tastes in other types of underwear.....this is a family show folks !

#2 poppykle

poppykle

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:27 am

Not stockings but I have started using lycra cycle shorts with gel padding on longer trips.  Picked them up at Aldi in one of their cycle sales.  Airhawk plus gel padded shorts certainly improves the comfort level.

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:15 am

I wear compression tops and cycle shorts on longer forays.

When I run I use compression socks and shorts for support (got an arthritic hip)

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:37 pm

If your concerened curly stick em on, no different than wearing them for a long haul flight, i tend to take an Aspirin every 2nd day if i have mega miles to do, a bit counter productive if you have a bad off i suppose, but it's not like you can do leg gymnastics while riding..

You would be better off spending a bit more on medical stockings/socks as they are more suitable than the ebay variants and take em off at night regardless off what the misses likes :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:31 pm

If your concerened curly stick em on, no different than wearing them for a long haul flight, i tend to take an Aspirin every 2nd day if i have mega miles to do, a bit counter productive if you have a bad off i suppose, but it's not like you can do leg gymnastics while riding..

You would be better off spending a bit more on medical stockings/socks as they are more suitable than the ebay variants and take em off at night regardless off what the misses likes :)

I only asked because I would like to increase my daily distance to more than 400-450 km.  But I'm an old fart and I kind of suffered in the saddle region after three or four long days.  I'm not convinced radical changes to the saddle itself would help.  You see, I can only really manage five or six days away a couple of times a year and if I'm only doing 400km a day it kind of limits me.  If I could increase my daily mileage without suffering the world would be my lobster....or some sort of shellfish.....

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:07 am

Well i dont think compression stockings are going to keep ya arse comfy curly :P try the padded bicycle shorts as mentioned above, another idea which everyone kind of poo poo's is a barrier cream such as Sudacrem or Conitrane but it can make a big difference.

I agree muckin around with the seat is a bit hit and miss, i put a gel pad in mine which made it somewhat comfier but in summer it was like sitting on an oven on a hot day and in winter would be really  hard, a sheepie sorted that out though, now i just shift about a bit, left side off for a while then swap over to the right cheek, works for me.....also i personally think the mk1 seat is the more comfy from all the TDM's :)

Big miles are summit you may have to work up to though if you've not done em for awhile, i'm finding a 1000 miles a bit much these days as well :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:21 am

I only asked because I would like to increase my daily distance to more than 400-450 km.  But I'm an old fart and I kind of suffered in the saddle region after three or four long days.  I'm not convinced radical changes to the saddle itself would help.  You see, I can only really manage five or six days away a couple of times a year and if I'm only doing 400km a day it kind of limits me.  If I could increase my daily mileage without suffering the world would be my lobster....or some sort of shellfish.....

Just ride faster. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:25 am

You took the words out of my mouth  :lol:

Bjørge

#9 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:55 am

Ha, Ha, Like it !

Kind of defeats the aim though. If I'm blatting down an Autoroute at 140kph  I'm not really seeing anything am I ?

In the early eighties I frequently travelled between Glasgow and  Bracknell on a variety of BMW motos, my favourite for this trip being the R100RT with the big barn door windscreen.....and even heated grips !

I often did that trip in 7 hours or so with one stop to refuel and stretch my body.  I used to find that a good general average speed.....including all stops....was 60MPH, a mile a minute or 100KPH.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:25 am

Well, if you want to go further afield you could perhaps sacrifice a day or two by doing motorways to get to a place where you can tour at your usual pace.

I found using an airhawk helped a lot in reducing numb bum, along with stretching my legs, standing on the pegs and even leaning on my tank pad during the high speed 'boring' stints.  Also, really twisty roads didn't give me numb bum at all, I put that down to moving around a lot more than usual so Dablik's tip for resting one cheek then the other might help.

Frequent high miles or long days is prolly the best cure of all though, although I appreciate this isn't really an option.  2 weeks and 3000 miles virtually cured my numb bum. As Dappers said to me afore my tour, you do get used to it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:22 pm

Thanks for all the comments, I'll be putting a lot of that into practise over the next couple of months...if I get a day off here and there.  I'm telling you, this being social crap doesn't sit well with me. That's the thing about good weather, it brings out all the damn pests.... like visitors !  And I'm expected to entertain them ?

I know, I'll just leave the key to the wine cellar lying about and when they're all nursing hangovers the next day I can get out on my TDM..... sorted !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users