10 replies to this topic

#1 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:08 pm

I know you’re all up for a bitta kulchur, so for the benefit of RTT attendees, and particularly campers, I thought I’d add a note about the special wildlife in the area.

Firstly, the Kerry slug, which is found only in SW Ireland, Spain and Portugal (evidence of the old “land bridge” between these countries (when Wicky cuuld walk over for his duty-free). It’s quite a decorative wee beastie, and comes in two main team colours:

so if we find any we can have races on a wet evening (possibly using a Mk 1 TDM as a pacemaker....). As a topic for the pub, btw, there’s a bit of controversy on the go, about protecting their habitat:

“Kerry's Mayor Michael Healy-Rae's call for the Kerry slug to ‘go to hell' has been met with a vigorous response from the environmental lobby group Friends of the Irish Environment [FIE]. FIE submitted a report to the Minister for the Environment in February of last year which, with many other representations, led to the Minister instructing the NRA to seek a route for the N22 that would avoid Cascade Woods, a habitat for many species, including the protected Kerry slug.”

Moreover ". It is quite a big slug, up to five centimetres long, but amazingly it can stretch itself out to a long thin shape up to twelve centimetres long. This special habit means that it can slither Houdini-like even out of a closed matchbox through the very narrow opening crack." We'll have to test it on a certain Scots wallet, eh? And maybe we could flog some as "guaranteed 100% earplugs" to Harley owners for beer money?

Interestingly, there’s a local dance rhythm called the “Kerry slide”. Despite rumours, I don’t think it refers to sluggy “Close Encounters of the Turd Kind” as you totter barefoot across a darkened campsite to relieve yerself in the wee hours – but ye never know.... blink.gif

Then there’s the nattarjack toad (another slippy creature, oddly enough – back to those rumours again.... smile.gif ) which is also quite colourful:

These will keep you entertained at night if you get bored – audio sample here.

Rest assured these species are rare - but we all know the strange magnetic attractions of the TDM dry.gif

Edited by Pict, 22 June 2008 - 12:23 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#2 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:47 pm

Pict,

Are you trying to scare us happy campers !!!!

After 10 pints of Guinness ... I'll be doing the "Kerry Slide"..... puke.gif

And I can stretch to 12 cm , without trying, longer if theres a couple of bricks handy. disbig.gif

And if you think a "CrackerJack Toad " sounds bad.. wait till I start SNORING .. ranting.gif

Bring them on...... punishment.gif
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#3 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:02 pm

QUOTE(Geordie Guy @ Sun 22nd Jun 2008, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And if you think a "CrackerJack Toad " sounds bad..

Did anybody tell you about the exploding sheep?? laugh.gif

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#4 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:06 pm

Iain, you need to get yer sel another TDM and get out more mate unsure.gif

Edited by Baron, 22 June 2008 - 04:07 pm.

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#5 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:21 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Sun 22nd Jun 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iain, you need to get yer sel another TDM and get out more mate unsure.gif

Haud awa' Baron. Fit's adee up yonder, an' foos the haar 'is efterneen? Hae ye gotten 'at boatie hooter workin yet an' gaen the Hairburmaister a fleg? laugh.gif tongue.gif

#6 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:47 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sun 22nd Jun 2008, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haud awa' Baron. Fit's adee up yonder, an' foos the haar 'is efterneen? Hae ye gotten 'at boatie hooter workin yet an' gaen the Hairburmaister a fleg? laugh.gif tongue.gif

rotflmmfao.gif it'd tak me oor lang tae rite yae a Doric reply, me being an honorary local an all, so I'll stick to ma ain twang if yer nivna mind rolleyes.gif

Not got around to inserting me horn (ooer missus) into Sminky just yet, to busy with all this "oil money" business Mr Broone has been telling us to get on with. Maybe a summer job, just a bit worried it'll confuse the ships in Aberdeen harbour during those haar days we get so many of during the summer tongue.gif

Glad to see you haven't abandoned us for scoot world forum, there's room fer all sorts here eh laugh.gif

How you getting on with fitting a supercharger to yer scoot ? blink.gif ;-)
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#7 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:52 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Sun 22nd Jun 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How you getting on with fitting a supercharger to yer scoot ? blink.gif ;-)

Well the standard upgrades are:

1 LeoVince 4Road stainless exhaust ~£180 (no other option)

2 J. Costa variator ~ £135

3 Malossi Maxi-Fly clutch ~ £100

4 PowerCommander ~£230

Fitted the first, can't afford the rest. Not sure I want to burn more fuel on #2 and 3 anyway, and 4 offers only limited help (i map, OE system), so I'm jest a-cruisin' easy.

#8 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:08 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sun 22nd Jun 2008, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the standard upgrades are:

1 LeoVince 4Road stainless exhaust ~£180 (no other option)

2 J. Costa variator ~ £135

3 Malossi Maxi-Fly clutch ~ £100

4 PowerCommander ~£230

Fitted the first, can't afford the rest. Not sure I want to burn more fuel on #2 and 3 anyway, and 4 offers only limited help (i map, OE system), so I'm jest a-cruisin' easy.

What's a J. Costa variator?...........sounds like a coffee making machine...attachment...thingy rolleyes.gif

#9 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:40 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Sun 22nd Jun 2008, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's a J. Costa variator?...........sounds like a coffee making machine...attachment...thingy rolleyes.gif

Yup! laugh.gif

It's actually part of the twist 'n' go world's "constantly variable transmission" (CVT), and couples the engine's output proportionally via the drive belt to the clutch (which is attached to the final drive at the back wheel) as explained here and shown in action here and here - kinky, eh?? It''s all based on sloping drive surfaces and centrifugal force via sliding weights. The Italians seem to have the knack in these CVT matters, beating the Japanese in performance, and Costa have a particularly good, novel design. The main reason for swapping is to get a quicker and smoother response off the mark - no real benefit to top speed.

Edited by Pict, 22 June 2008 - 11:04 pm.

#10 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:30 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sun 22nd Jun 2008, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup! laugh.gif

It's actually part of the twist 'n' go world's "constantly variable transmission" (CVT), and couples the engine's output proportionally via the drive belt to the clutch (which is attached to the final drive at the back wheel) as explained here and shown in action here and here - kinky, eh?? It''s all based on sloping drive surfaces and centrifugal force via sliding weights. The Italians seem to have the knack in these CVT matters, beating the Japanese in performance, and Costa have a particularly good, novel design. The main reason for swapping is to get a quicker and smoother response off the mark - no real benefit to top speed.

Ah, I see now.

Some lawn tractor manufacturers (and I'm not being condescending(?) here!) use the same technology in their variable speed drive, but some use an hydraulic drive instead, like my Countax job. I've found the belt drives to be okay but susceptible to belt wear and slippage when wet, whereas the hydraulic drive works fine in all conditions and only needs a coat of looking at once a year if that.

Do any scoot manufactuters use hydraulic drive units?

#11 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:41 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Mon 23rd Jun 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, I see now.

Some lawn tractor manufacturers (and I'm not being condescending(?) here!) use the same technology in their variable speed drive, but some use an hydraulic drive instead, like my Countax job. I've found the belt drives to be okay but susceptible to belt wear and slippage when wet, whereas the hydraulic drive works fine in all conditions and only needs a coat of looking at once a year if that.

Do any scoot manufactuters use hydraulic drive units?

Funnily enough, I refer to the scoot as The Lawnmower, owing to the sedate pace and the one-pot sound.

I think there may have been some attempts at hydraulics/fluidics but I don't know of anything on the market.

Edited by Pict, 23 June 2008 - 02:42 pm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users