154 replies to this topic

#1 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:18 am

Whilst out yesterday in the +90's micro heatwave my '04 900 started to misfire badly under load.

I'd been out for a couple of hours at this point without any suggestion of a problem, then whilst tickling along the A6 for 20 mins or so in traffic I notices the odd mis, but when I tried to overtake it missed badly and wouldn't accelerate until I lifted off, at which point it picked up. If at that point I added a little throttle it would lurch and stall (not completely). 

I nursed it home, whipped out the plugs to find they looked slightly lean.

The bike's done 40k but I've only had it for around 6 months and it'd not long been serviced when I got it so the plugs have only done a couple of thousand miles, although the guy who sold it told me it had hardly had any use for a couple of years.

I do remember the first time I took it for a spin it was raining and after a quick 5 mile blat up the local test track (A675) I noticed it missed and hesitated as I backed off the tap. I put it down to the leads and expected to have to change them somewhere in the near future but since then almost nothing until yesterday.

Has anyone any idea what this could be? a common thing maybe? Fuelling issue possibly?

Any help or pointers are always appreciated (especially when it's 90° outside)  :help:

I'm not the messiah, I'm a very naughty boy!

#2 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:40 am

Don't rule out that you may have a faulty plug. Sometimes it is the simplest thing.

#3 Chris B

Chris B

just half a litre to go

• 827 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:54 am

Find out what cylinder it is on.

I've had misfiring a few times and it has been down to a few different reasons...

Knackered plugs they need changing every 18k, mine had done less than 20k when they started playing up.

Corrosion in the ends of the leads (or coils/caps) - check for any visible corrosion and clean or cut the ends of the leads off.

Knackered Coil (switch them and see if the problem moves.)

Spark arcing from lead to to flame. (normally only in the wet so probably not)

02 TDM 900, Silver. 85k miles 

Givi Box + panniers, Baglux Cover, Baglux Bag, R&Gs, Remus Cans, PC3, Air Box Mod, DL handguards, Hel Hoses, Heated Grips, LED Lights on handguards, Scottoiler, Scorpion Rad guard, Top Sellerie Seat, Gear Indicator, Stebel Nautilus, Wilbers Rear Shock, MCT reworked forks.

#4 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:57 am

so u don't think it could be running lean?...I was gonna try making the fueling a tad richer...an' how would I find which pot has the problem?...I tok the plugs out thinking there would be a tell but they were identical :unsure2:

Edited by wigwamclan, 20 July 2016 - 10:01 am.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:19 am

Wouldn't DIAG mode show up a faulty coil ? and possibly any other faults. :unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:24 pm

OK, so I turned diag mode on and got d01: 16  I'm not sure what the 16 represents but I went on to the coils and ran the check and got 00 for both. I also checked the throttle sensor and it passed. Next I checked the battery an' it made 11.6v. The stated minimum is 12v but I'm not sure that's enough to make the difference however, when I checked error 61 I got two codes, neither of which are listed :huh:, they're 19 and 33......any ideas?

#7 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:53 pm

just took it fer a quick spin and...nothing!...it's running smooth as...this is getting tricky :dunno:

#8 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:59 pm

Error 19 is very possibly down to a bad earth or plug connection under the airbox 33 is a coil problem I believe

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#9 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:10 pm

Ah, now that could be a likely candidate but I did the coil checks and got 00 for both....I'm presuming 00 meant OK?

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:12 pm

Mayhaps an intermittent fault ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:17 pm

Intermittent....now, THAT'S a dirty word :hide:

#12 Guest_Prof TDM_*

Guest_Prof TDM_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:24 pm

Is it possible for some sort of vapour lock, with pootling around in traffic, very hot day, making engine run lean? 

#13 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:24 pm

Check all your connections including the earth cluster on the ECU loom for error 19

Edited by Rallyist, 20 July 2016 - 01:24 pm.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#14 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:48 pm

Is it possible for some sort of vapour lock, with pootling around in traffic, very hot day, making engine run lean? 

I've just had a word with my neighbor (he's an old hand..builds and restores vintage tackle for a living) who told me the fj's fuel pump did something similar in v.hot weather due to the location so there could be something there..

Check all your connections including the earth cluster on the ECU loom for error 19

I'm on it as we speak :good:

btw, I forgot to mention at some point on the way home yesterday when things had gone all tits to the roof, I noticed the trip counter had reset itself...not sure if this is of any relevance but u never know

Edited by wigwamclan, 20 July 2016 - 01:48 pm.

#15 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:33 pm

btw, I forgot to mention at some point on the way home yesterday when things had gone all tits to the roof, I noticed the trip counter had reset itself...not sure if this is of any relevance but u never know

That's a symptomatic of a failing battery.

TDMs are sensitive to battery voltage

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#16 Guest_Prof TDM_*

Guest_Prof TDM_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:53 pm

Hot weather can see off a tired battery,had it happen a few times (on a car).

#17 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:05 pm

Hmm..when I did the voltage check it came up just short of 12v (11.6v) but I didn't think it was enough to make a difference..I've got it on charge to see if I can improve things.

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:53 pm

Well, 12.5v is considered to be a flat battery by mr Yamaha so 11.6v is deffo wayyyyy too low.  Best measure the battery voltage with a multimeter, seem to recall some discrepancy when checking it with DIAG mode.

#19 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:24 pm

Haven't trawled through all the posts,but error 33 is a bad connection on the low tension side of coil 1

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#20 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:24 pm

Diag mode battery test - and all other tests - must be done with the fuel pump disconnected, otherwise the result given is not correct.

So you shouldn't be too much worried by the 11.x volts you got.

That said, batteries don't like excessive low & high temperatures (*), as it increases the self-discharge rate.

(* : high temperature means above 30°C, I don't know if this is very common in UK...)

top_640.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users