#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:28 pm

None of these things are ever going to be a problem for me but maybe someone on ear will be!

https://www.bbc.co.u...gy-58507764.amp
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 September 2021 - 02:18 pm

Makes sense.

Unfortunate though, as a these days a phone is a great and usually cheaper alternative to a dedicated sat nav unit.

I've also never seen an anti vibration mount that actually stops vibrations, interested if anyone has any options there 

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,394 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:08 pm

No Apple shoite here (started programming on em in '79) - done 10s o thousands miles  using PDA. then Samsung s5, s8+ and s20+ on TDMs without problems other than battery overheating on the Dell 51v PDA & S5 (s5 sorted by using usb type B cable dunno why tho). As the s20 is a reasonably pricey bit of kit I've gone back to the s5 and the old ultimate addons case as I was concerned about vibes destroying the s20. S20 goes in pocket and is linked to the s5 if required for data eg live traffic, cameras & Polis etc

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:48 pm

I've got a Blackview BV7000 Chinese jobbie, and aside from being dropped regularly and rained on, it once flew off my bike in Portugal. Luckily it was on a town road and not the motorway. Needless to say, it survived with nothing more than a small ding on the stainless side trims. It survived the ride to Portugal in 40 degree heat with the sun blaring on it for hours on end on my handlebars and actually switched off once because it got too hot.  Iphones are great in what they do but they're a bit delicate for me and my clumsiness.

#5 MarshallStone

MarshallStone

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:10 pm

Makes sense.

Unfortunate though, as a these days a phone is a great and usually cheaper alternative to a dedicated sat nav unit.

I've also never seen an anti vibration mount that actually stops vibrations, interested if anyone has any options there 

Agreed, so we should go for Samsung? or Tim Cook gonna do something about this problem. :huh:  :hide:

#6 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:20 pm

Ordnance Survey. 1 :25'000. 

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,742 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:38 am

Ordnance Survey. 1 :25'000. 

Old Skool  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:57 am

Agreed, so we should go for Samsung? or Tim Cook gonna do something about this problem. :huh:  :hide:

The OIS tech in the cameras is pretty much the same across the board so I doubt it would make much a difference what make or model you go for. 

I don't think its a problem as such, more an inconvenience.

At the end of the day they are designed to be held in a hand or stored in a pocket or bag. Not strapped to a bike. 

One of those tough phones would work quite well, properly waterproof to a good IP level and a touchscreen that works with gloves too, but that means having 2 phones. 

#9 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:37 am

It's not just iPhones affected, it's anything with the latest image stabilisation cameras. They're not tough enough in phones. Presumably GoPros and the like are made a bit tougher. I used a Quadlock mount and case on my bike until the news about phone cameras breaking first came out, then I stopped using it. They've since brought out a vibration dampener which they claim fixes this: https://www.quadlock...=32019364905075 I got one when they first came out, they only charged a fiver then, but I see it's now £16! I can't say if it works or not, as I don't use my phone on my bike much now, I've gone back to using a dedicated sat nav. Mind you, my Crosstourer is the only bike at the moment that's as smooth as Leslie Phillips' chat up lines!

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#10 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:58 pm

I suspect the clue is the picture above the article.

High powered motorcycle is a bit mis-leading...

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 September 2021 - 11:18 am

There are plenty of anti vibration mounting systems. Its good to know the range of frequencies being damped first EG https://www.gelmec.co.uk/products/

A steel plate twice the weight of the phone, suspended on spring steel plate arms or rubber/silicon sheet would be good, but unless you assembled it yourself it would probably be expensive. And heavy

Heres one
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=B-YXPNbTV1I

Edited by fixitsan, 15 September 2021 - 11:23 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#12 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:19 am

QuadLock are the ones I'm always seeing adverts for, having a google for people with the effected issues seems to mention Quadlock quite a lot. 

So much so they have taken notice and kind of issued a statement/product release including a non exclusive list of bikes that are effected 

https://www.quadlock...=32019364905075

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:09 pm

It's not just iPhones affected, it's anything with the latest image stabilisation cameras. They're not tough enough in phones. Presumably GoPros and the like are made a bit tougher. I used a Quadlock mount and case on my bike until the news about phone cameras breaking first came out, then I stopped using it. They've since brought out a vibration dampener which they claim fixes this: https://www.quadlock...=32019364905075 I got one when they first came out, they only charged a fiver then, but I see it's now £16! I can't say if it works or not, as I don't use my phone on my bike much now, I've gone back to using a dedicated sat nav. Mind you, my Crosstourer is the only bike at the moment that's as smooth as Leslie Phillips' chat up lines!

Ding dong ! lol

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users