#1 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:51 pm

My trusty Hein Gericke Gortex kit has been through 4 winters now and it’s starting to show, although it’s still 100% waterproof. So it’s time to bite the bullet and get a replacement. My first choice has to be HG again, based on the quality of the kit, their 2 year warranty and after sales care. Their “Journey”, or “Summit” suits look good. The only niggles are the high cost, although I still think it’s good value (I have a 10% off voucher and some value on their loyalty card I can cash in) and their kit always seemed a bit short in the leg, making the knee protectors miss my knees! However, I notice their latest kit has height adjustable protectors in the knees and elbows, so maybe that’s been fixed.
Anyone suggest any alternatives to HG that are worth looking at? I’ve got a shop selling Rev-it, Richa and Spada kit near to me, so they’re all possible alternatives. Budget is £500 - £600, a lot of dough, but I commute daily, all year, so I want good quality stuff. Anyone know any brands that do a longer version of textile trouser?

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#2 Trapezoid

Trapezoid

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:19 pm

I value Rukka though it's expensive. Also I Don't know how there are resellers in UK.

http://www.rukka.com...ka/rukkawww.nsf

#3 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:05 pm

before shellin out for new HG kit take a look on their ebay store, i picked up 2 high end jackets and trousers for £330 and Farmer Gray got a Master5 jacket for less than a shelltex one....

ps. i always take the knee armor out of trousers as it never fits correctly, and just use moto-x knee armor instead

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#4 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:08 pm

Matlock, HG have sent an email out today 'trade in your old kit' for upgrading

follow the link

http://www.hein-geri...uk/tradeyourkit

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#5 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:38 pm

QUOTE(Trapezoid @ Wed 20th Apr 2011, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I value Rukka though it's expensive. Also I Don't know how there are resellers in UK.

http://www.rukka.com...ka/rukkawww.nsf

I bought a Rukka jacket last year after my old HG Master jacket finally fell to bits.
I realise now that I should have stayed with HG. The Rukka jacket is nowhere near as good as the old HG was. It is not as warm, not so comfortable, and while paying about 500 quid. I then had to spend another 100 on a back protector as there isn't one in the Rukka jacket and and not even a pocket to put one in.

Stick with HG. The warrenty is worthwhile, and the Goretex warrenty is 5 years.

#6 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:50 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 20th Apr 2011, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
before shellin out for new HG kit take a look on their ebay store, i picked up 2 high end jackets and trousers for £330 and Farmer Gray got a Master5 jacket for less than a shelltex one....ps. i always take the knee armor out of trousers as it never fits correctly, and just use moto-x knee armor instead
Cheers Tony, I've been watching their store, but nothing's come up that's suitable in my size.
QUOTE(Daveb @ Wed 20th Apr 2011, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matlock, HG have sent an email out today 'trade in your old kit' for upgradingfollow the linkhttp://www.hein-geri...uk/tradeyourkit
Thanks Dave, I'll pop down to HG at the weekend I think good.gif .
QUOTE(fatchap @ Wed 20th Apr 2011, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers Colin, Rukka is out of my price range anyway hidden.gif

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:04 pm

QUOTE(Matlock @ Wed 20th Apr 2011, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers Tony, I've been watching their store, but nothing's come up that's suitable in my size.

They tend to have a load of stock come on every month or so, well worth keeping an eye on if you've got the time, my Master 5 jacket was only a bit over £200, but the last 3 sales have had the matching trousers in either a size too big or a size too small ranting.gif

My previous kit was IXS (I think J&S are thier only retailer) lasted pretty well and I've have no problems buying more of that.

Quite impressed with the Halverssons kit I had a look at at the bike show, ET swears by it but I've not got a retailer near me.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 DazzerB

DazzerB

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:07 pm

Also got an IXS jacket and trousers (non goretex), had for 3 years and they're still waterproof. The leg length is very generous and fit me OK, if not a little long and i'm 6 ft 1 in (tall not round before anyone starts)

#9 SelinaXC

SelinaXC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:08 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 20th Apr 2011, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite impressed with the Halverssons kit

Taking a punt on some Halverssons/ Lindstrands GI pants off of Fleabay as I've heard good things and really like the look. Confirmed with seller they'd accept returns cos of fit, but didn't mention I'd probably been hopelessly optimistic ordering that size laugh.gif waiting for 'em to arrive now...
Tiger 800XC in black & WR400F rider, cohabiting with two TeDiuMs, a Mk1 and a Mk3.

#10 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:09 pm

Jofama (making Lindstrands and Halvarsson) it used to be textile=Lindstrands, leathers=Hallvarsson, but now it's a mix.

I have a lindstrand kit myself, quite happy with it. Fair weather protection, and plenty of openings for ventilation when the weather gets too hot.
The only niggle is that the weatherproof pants going into the textile pants are very low in the crotch area. So all the water running down your chest and belly goes throug the zipper and INSIDE the waterproof pants. A quick fix is a small plastic bag leading the water away.

The detailing is VERY good, solid seams and zippers everywhere. And the pants and jacket zips together wich is a nice safety feature. There's also pockets for back protection, elbows, hips and knees. I got mine in Sweden where the company is based, at a very fair price.

They also make very good boots and gloves, and the best neck buff i've tried so far (wind/waterproof in the front, ventilated in the back, and no seams).

The jacket:

The pants:

Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#11 Trapezoid

Trapezoid

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:13 pm

QUOTE(fatchap @ Wed 20th Apr 2011, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought a Rukka jacket last year after my old HG Master jacket finally fell to bits.
I realise now that I should have stayed with HG. The Rukka jacket is nowhere near as good as the old HG was. It is not as warm, not so comfortable, and while paying about 500 quid. I then had to spend another 100 on a back protector as there isn't one in the Rukka jacket and and not even a pocket to put one in.

Sorry to hear about Your bad experiences with Rukka. Odd that the jacket didn't have pocket for back protector as all the models I've seen here in Finland includes them and also the protector. Do You remember the model of Your Rukka jacket?

Here in Finland Rukka gives 5 years warranty and of course there is the Goretex specific warranty. I own Rukka's Mika jacket and trousers and I have found them to be an absolute joy. 5 pockets to store random stuff and 100% waterproof. Fits very nicely, so well that I really don't notice them as in they never hinder my moveability. They have removable extra lining which I use during spring and autumm. Downside is that i paid 900euros for them in 2009 August.

The HG Master jacket looks like really good product and the specs are very similar with the more expensive Rukkas. I try to test as many as I could and go for the one that fits well and packs enough in the spec side.

#12 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:05 am

Well I took the plunge on Sunday and bought a Hein Gericke Voyager Gortex 2-piece from the Liverpool branch. I’d tried the Spada stuff elsewhere and wasn’t impressed, but it is a lot cheaper than HG. Nobody else I visited seemed to have anything in stock I could try on in my size. HG seem to have addressed a few issues since I bought my last suit from them. The legs and arms are longer and the armour sits where it should on a lanky b*gger like me. Also the built-in back protector is a quality bit of kit compared to the bit of foam that came in my last jacket. They also use a lot less Velcro than they used to, it’s always the first thing to wear out if you wear the kit a lot and can fray other parts of the outer layer if it rubs against it. The price was right too, it was a discontinued range and was marked down to £580, I took the bargaining machine that is Mrs Matlock, and she got a further £80 off that! What a woman. While I was in HG, I tried on all their latest textiles from the “2011 range”, they seemed to be of lower quality than I’d expect for the price and the fit wasn’t brilliant for me. I also tried on that Master 5 suit that ChrisG has, which retails for £900 blink.gif . A nice bit of kit, but £900? I don’t think so.

Follow me on twitter

#13 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• 1,246 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:41 am

good.gif Glad you got sorted.

2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#14 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:00 pm

I'm very happy with my Master 5 for £200 but full price is silly money. Still not been able to get the matching trousers yet though

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users