#21 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:19 am

lucky fer them we toightened up their loose brake caliper !  

Loike this:

Attached File  adventure2.bmp   1.19MB   27 downloads

Think they had accidentally ended up on a slip road at some point, hence the rozzers and then when they checked boike details, one of em had only had it a day or so and there was some DVLA info that didnt match so they had hung around tryin to sort that oot.....was gonna be REALLY late by the time they got to wherever they were goin.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#22 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:06 am

Adventure riding is a state of mind, not a type of bike  :good:

Yarp. Bikes don't make decisions, we do. I've had countless adventures on numerous bikes. It's that whole gibbering like an idiot with eyes like pickled onions on a fork thing when you stop that defines it.

I had an adventure today but felt it unworthy of starting a thread, then spotted this one.

I went out for a jaunt with the missus after a weekends hot & hard labour, she suggested the first part of our ride would be Whangae & Oromahoe roads, sinuous gravel.. I baulked last time so felt obliged today.

Well bugger me side ways, the roads have been graded & are 4 to 8 inches thick in gravel. What I thought were tire grooves turned out to be dust on top of gravel, big puffs of powder when I rode into them.

I have to say the TDM on road tires reached it's & my limit today. I was sweating like a blind lesbian in a fish market at roads end.

To me, that feeling is a big part of the essence of adventure. Challenge. Chuck in some amazing scenery & locals with guns & you've cracked it.

I do feel a big step closer to riding in sand, though.

Edited by harvey krumpet, 24 November 2014 - 09:10 am.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#23 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:14 am

Cheers Lee good find,

I got hooked and watched the full 1 hour 20 version,

Mick you would'nt  fancy doing the James Dalton on a R1 then?  

#24 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:19 am

Loike this:

attachicon.gifadventure2.bmp

Think they had accidentally ended up on a slip road at some point, hence the rozzers and then when they checked boike details, one of em had only had it a day or so and there was some DVLA info that didnt match so they had hung around tryin to sort that oot.....was gonna be REALLY late by the time they got to wherever they were goin.

LOL day was goin to BUDE.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#25 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:24 pm

Cheers Lee good find,

I got hooked and watched the full 1 hour 20 version,

Mick you would'nt  fancy doing the James Dalton on a R1 then?  

how do they manage to corner with all that gear on the back,"carefully"

#26 RD400F

RD400F

really likes Carpe

• 99 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:48 pm

Attached File  NWT1.jpg   356.52KB   0 downloads

My adventure bike is my TDM

Moved to Canada and had to sell my 05 900.
OU55FRD if you're still out there, I miss you.

Now own two complete TDM's (3VD) and one parts bike.

#27 EeeTea

EeeTea

really likes Carpe

• 87 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:01 pm

the-honda-cross-cub-could-hit-forecourts

173 mpg BTW

about £1431 new (but you'd have to import from Japan)

PS http://www.motorbiketimes.com/news/makes/honda/honda-set-to-revive-the-iconic-cub-scooter-$21383093.htm 

Edited by EeeTea, 24 November 2014 - 05:28 pm.

#28 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:13 pm

:rotflmmfao:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#29 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:29 pm

I want one of those :clapping:

#30 EeeTea

EeeTea

really likes Carpe

• 87 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:35 pm

me too.  I mean seriously cheap to run, and goes anyway.  You really could just pack light and ride all the way around the world on that.  I bet its good for 60mph

Drop it and pick it up. One spark plug.   There's some seriously fun looking youtube vids on that.

#31 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:33 pm

173 mpg BTW

about £1431 new (but you'd have to import from Japan)

PS http://www.motorbiketimes.com/news/makes/honda/honda-set-to-revive-the-iconic-cub-scooter-$21383093.htm 

173mpg :yeyeye: I want one, if only as a runaround.

Edited by muddy, 24 November 2014 - 06:36 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#32 EeeTea

EeeTea

really likes Carpe

• 87 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:38 pm

That sounds too good to be true. Honda quote 61km/l...that is 173mpg isn't it?

Edited by EeeTea, 24 November 2014 - 07:19 pm.

#33 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,438 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:42 pm

Hey ET you're not far off, get a look at this.

http://www.maximumbi...62345ae6645eb1c

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#34 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:50 pm

I want!

Years ago I met a couple of lads who had re-opened an old gold diggings in Queenstown who used C90's for access.

Brilliant.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#35 howie

howie

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:54 pm

Off roading & "Adventure Riding" aren't necessarily the same thing

To go off roading, a 250 trail is an ideal machine - light enough to pick up time & time again, but enough power to get you through the tricky bits - I love going green laning in winter on my 1981 XT250. 
Also got a G650 X-Country, which is brilliant off-road, but I take this one out in the summer, on dry trails, because it's a handful for me in the wet
Have even been off-roading on an R80 GS & a 1200GSA .....but again .......too much for an ageing shortarse like me ......smashed my ankle up on the GSA

An 'Adventure Bike' is whatever bike will successfully take you & your kit (plus a pillion if you want to )  on a trip that is out of the ordinary for you ......so it can be anything from a fully tooled up Charlie & Ewan machine to take you round the world, to a couple I know that went from Nottingham to Barcelona & back on a couple of tiny restored Tomas step through mopeds.
I've been adventure riding on all sorts of bikes - GS's, TDM's, a Fazer 1000, a K1200S .....I often do dry offloading on my Mk2 TDM in the Pyrenees .......Masterbrewer does the hardcore stuff in the Australian Outback on a Mk1 

Adventure riding is a state of mind, not a type of bike  :good:

#36 howie

howie

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:12 pm

Yep side stand l enjoy a bit of green laneing on my 81 xt250 and then stop for a brew at devils bridge with the nobs on there gsa's my xt gets more interest than any of the 15 grand bm crap!

#37 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:24 pm

Not crap .......just not the right horse for the course !

In the right hands, a GS/GSA is awesome off road - but you have to be an off-road riding god to get the best out of one.

Smaller trailies are best for us mere mortals  :good:

No such thing as a crap bike these days .....just crap riders !

Edited by sidestand, 24 November 2014 - 09:25 pm.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#38 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:32 am

Right group buy then  :good:

put me down for one, when they make them ;)

Edited by ramo, 25 November 2014 - 09:50 am.

#39 howie

howie

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:37 am

Yep you are right sidestand,but i have three mates with new bm's and two have had loads of prob's and have now got rid one got a yam and the other got a kwacker.I once bought an honda dominator (650 single) cos i thought it would be ok on and off road,big mistake! it was unridable off road i tied meself in knots, prob cos i aint an off road god! but i can still have fun on the XT. 

#40 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:42 am

I agree Dommies were never a dirt bike but adventure bike? Most definitely.

http://youtu.be/cmmRwEx8Bsc

I also agree with modern bikes, they are not getting worse, but riders tend to plateau with their skills. It dawned on me that I could not have ridden the ride I did on Monday, 2 years ago. 2 years of training & practice. A personal revelation for me.

Prolly the best all round adventure bike I have ever owned was an XT 350. It was happy on the motorway with 60kg of luggage but tended to wheelie when pulling away, good fuel range & capable of some pretty extreme off roading. Hilarious on twisty West coast Scottish roads apart from the brakes cooking. Utterly reliable for huge mileages, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users