#21 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:00 pm

Cant really say its just young people though. I see more idiots on GSXR's and R1's in shorts and t-shirts when its hot than i do on 125's.

I, myself, have never ridden without gloves. and have a minimum of boots, jeans, jacket gloves, even when its sweltering its just not worth the risk.

At the end of the day Its their own life there risking, the only thing that bothers me is the then drain of tax payers money if they survive !

You could apply that argument to motorcycling in general - even with all the gear, the chances of death or serious injury are higher on two wheels than in four. Does that resulting drain of money not bother you  ?

Stu

#22 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:47 pm

Pavement: The world's fastest tattoo remover.

Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#23 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:50 pm

You ride on the pavement!!!!  Warra Hooligan gloves or not. :P

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#24 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:23 pm

You could apply that argument to motorcycling in general - even with all the gear, the chances of death or serious injury are higher on two wheels than in four. Does that resulting drain of money not bother you  ?

Not at all, when one tries to prevent it, or at least minimalism the risk. 

If you wanted to, you could apply the argument to anything.  

Take crossing the road. I would have less sympathy for someone who runs out in the road without looking and gets hit by a car compared to someone who's stood at the side of the road waiting to cross and gets hit.

#25 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:37 pm

You ride on the pavement!!!!  Warra Hooligan gloves or not. :P

What? Is that what you call the part pedestrians walk on? Here that is sidewalk, pavement is the road.. cement asphalt or whatever.

Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.

#26 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:40 pm

Is that what you call the part pedestrians walk on?.

Yeah. :)

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#27 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:48 pm

Then let me re-phrase.. asphalt is the world's fastest tattoo remover.

Posted Image

£

#28 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:39 am

Then let me re-phrase.. asphalt is the world's fastest tattoo remover.

and we call that Tarmac

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#29 scrumpymike

scrumpymike

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:50 am

Like someone once said about the Brits and Yanks: divided by the same language!!

#30 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:47 am

Not at all, when one tries to prevent it, or at least minimalism the risk. 

If you wanted to, you could apply the argument to anything.  

Take crossing the road. I would have less sympathy for someone who runs out in the road without looking and gets hit by a car compared to someone who's stood at the side of the road waiting to cross and gets hit.

Your analogy is flawed - Wearing gear doesn't prevent the crash, it may improve the chances of surviving one. Driving a car further increases the chances.

Wearing gear may have surprising pyschological counter-effects - I know that when I wear leathers I am inclined to push on a bit faster - in other words take more risk. If I was wearing shorts (not that I would) I'd do the opposite. I don't think I'm unusual in that.

But the OP is more about showing off, rather than a reasoned consideration of risk.

Stu

#31 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:44 am

I was

I was referring to preventing the risk of serious injury. Wearing a helmet may not itself prevent serious brain injury but it certainly reduces the risk

Basically, if someone thinks before they do, then the consequences are usually less heavy.

And just in case you want to make yourself feel big from picking this apart as well, I've used the term 'usually' so it doesn’t imply I’m saying this applies to everyone in every situation.

#32 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:05 pm

Our roads will never be subjected to pavementization ! :oldgit:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#33 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:32 pm

I was

I was referring to preventing the risk of serious injury. Wearing a helmet may not itself prevent serious brain injury but it certainly reduces the risk

Basically, if someone thinks before they do, then the consequences are usually less heavy.

And just in case you want to make yourself feel big from picking this apart as well, I've used the term 'usually' so it doesn’t imply I’m saying this applies to everyone in every situation.

Make myself big ? ?

FFS. Perhaps you should wear protective gear online too, with a skin that thin.

Don't post patronising smug shite in the first place if you can't take a discussion on it.

Stu

#34 scrumpymike

scrumpymike

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:00 pm

"Wearing gear may have surprising pyschological counter-effects"

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a wonderful old boy from Yorkshire. In his '70s at the time, he had started work as a wood-cutter in '46 - a job that involved climbing very tall (and often unsafe) trees on a regular basis. When I asked him about how he managed without all the safeguards introduced thru modern-day health and safety reg's, he thought for a minute and said: "It just made you very, very careful". He was wearing wooden clogs in those days by the way!

PS Let's stop beating each other up why don't we??  :good: 

#35 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:44 pm

Make myself big ? ?

FFS. Perhaps you should wear protective gear online too, with a skin that thin.

Don't post patronising smug shite in the first place if you can't take a discussion on it.

I don't think Norton do that lever of internet security yet.

Plus, I fail to see what was patronizing about the initial statement. Its pretty obvious that if you ride without protective gear your more likely to get hurt. I was only stating the obvious, if you don't agree with it no probs. 

And if you or anyone wants to ride in shorts and t-shirt because it makes them more careful no probs, All I'm saying is they wont have any sympathy from me when there bawling as they have skin and tissue ground from bones.

#36 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:32 pm

While we're talking chances/probability here and arguing the toss, I'd like to point out that nothing else matters if it turns out that you are the one that the accident is happening to at the given point in time.

No gear / some gear / all gear / two wheels / four wheels / pedestrian / bug, it's happening.

Risk is no longer an issue.

It all boils down to consequences and whether you are prepared to accept them.

The subject can't really be discussed as a this or that issue.

Last time I asked, I was told that I only had one shot at this instance of whizzing round a gravitationally maintained thermonuclear fusion reaction, borne by a magnetically shielded bio-sphere, in an as yet to be defined volume of mind boggling proportions.

No wonder I say fuggit and grab a fistful on a regular basis.

This guy on the other hand is a complete twat and should wear the bucket on his head.

rideri.jpg

#37 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:59 pm

Yeah I agree, 

just to clarify, as I don’t want to come across the wrong way I wasn’t talking about the general risk of having an accident, I was talking about minimizing the risk of subsequent injury after having an accident. 

Cheers ;)

#38 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:30 pm

It's a free world, If thats what they want to ride in thats fine with me.

If I see them fall off on the other hand I will walk up to them call them a twat and say cool now? and walk off.

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#39 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:05 pm

Love your response Jolly,

The angle I was going from was that it would be nice for a policman to be in the right place at the right time and have the power to catch someone riding stupidly, and be able to call them a twat themselves, give em a flick around the ear and be done with it. But that opens up a whole different can of worms, which I don't want to start.

#40 Readmarx

Readmarx

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:47 pm

Look... Let me be clear.... The safest way to make forward progress is to wear Hi-viz whilst walking on the pavement. Anything else is just courting danger. If we die whilst riding it's our own fault. We really shouldn't be riding at all. That's the safest approach to life. :good:

mother nature rides a biker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users