26 replies to this topic

#1 originalturbo

originalturbo

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:38 am

Video link

Not sure how this was my fault, but the lorry driver seemed to think it was.

Edited by originalturbo, 02 September 2013 - 07:44 am.

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever." Chinese Proverb

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:18 am

Did he fall asleep !! looks like he drifted.. least your on the ball.. ride safe.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:35 pm

Not sure how this was my fault, but the lorry driver seemed to think it was.

Give the guy a break.

2 ideas for you.

gt77.jpg

The lorry driver did well to see you coming out of that gravitationally maintained thermonuclear fusion reaction that was happening over your shoulder and still be able to gesture at you whilst keeping a container trailer under control.   :lol:

#4 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• 890 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:40 pm

I've watched the clip a few times now and can't tell if

A. the truck was indicating

B. what speed were you doing

C. even if he was, why was he pulling across anyway

D. was he waving to say sorry or calling you a wanker

therefore i'm not in a position to say who was at fault, you need to take better videos in the future

#5 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:58 am

I sympathise, this exact thing (just) happened to me on way to work this morning, althought the transit tipper that decided to pull out was half overtaking a lorry, and I knew dam well the van had seen me, as he didn't pull all the way out????

I had to brake (quite a lot), and then it pulled out all the way. Although it seems in your vid the lorry driver was saying sorry. All I got when I got along side was the finger.

Wanker

#6 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:08 pm

Can't see all the details in that, although the image is sharp.

Is there a van in front of the truck in the vid above ? If there is, it looks like it must have taken the sliproad off, so presumably the truck driver was moving out to avoid him, before moving back when the van moved out of his way. TnG makes a valid point about the glare from the sun - IF the driver looked in his mirror, you may have been very difficult to see.

And if he is behind another vehicle and closing on it, he's likely to want to pass it without losing momentum. Timing your manoeuvre accordingly can keep all parties happy. :good:

Stu

#7 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:39 pm

I thought that when I watched the vid, but watched a few times more and saw was a slip road off the dualy, so he may have thought it was a slip road on, and made a rash decision to move over just in case. It does look like he was saying sorry, but hard to see the shape of the lorry drivers hand.  

The guy that nearly had me off this morning was just a pure wanker. I reckon he was delibratley trying to stop me getting past. I did the whole point at eyes and angry hand gestures, and was already getting the finger as I got along side. I wouldn't mind, I wasn't doing anything wrong. Prob doing about 80 ish overtaking a line of traffic on the dualy.  

#8 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:49 pm

Just had the same happen to me in the van an hour ago on the M50. Was just about to pass an Artic so was in lane 2. Next thing his indicator blinked once at the same time he swerved out in front of me.

After he pulled back in & I drew level saw he was laughing away with his mobile up to his lug hole. Gave him a blast on the horn & got the finger in return.

Wanka.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#9 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:32 pm

The white van in front of the artic slowed to take the slip road and caught the artic driver out but that is obscured by you being alongside the trailer-see how it was no longer in front of the artic when you got past.
Rather than loose momentum and dab the brakes (you could smoke the tyres in those conditions and stay relatively straight; or he was being ultra careful) ,he veered into your lane without indicating (no time); probably glanced initially and did not see you due to low sun angle.
When he checked again, by that time cutting you up, he realised his mistake;that is an apology wave, not an angry shake by the look of things.
As always good observation will get you to be an old grey man.

Nowt wrong with the footage at all IMHO.
Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:26 am

lorry driver was driving without due care and attention,   end of.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:14 am

Agree with TAG, Pantboy, Stu & Wildbill. Difficult to be sure of distance with WA lens, but
I think that above all the trucker misjudged the bike's closing speed? I'm so often glad of the niner's good brskes, given that the overall weight of the trike plus me is over 400 kilos.

Edited by Pict, 23 September 2013 - 09:30 am.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#12 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:00 am

If the LD had to brake and swerve to avoid the van in front of him then he was travelling too close for the speed- LD error

I do believe he indicated but that doesn't give anyone the right to change lanes. It's an INDICATION OF WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO NOT A CONFIRMATION OF WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO.- LD error

However, you could look on this as a learning experience and be more aware of the prevailing weather conditions, road layout and traffic behaviour.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not immune to these kinds of incidents.

A wise man once told me that if you always blame other people you will never become a better rider/driver.

Always try to see a way in which you could have avoided this in the first place, then it won't happen again.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#13 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:00 pm

I'm with Celtic on this, the warning that he may move out were there with the approach of the junction, simple hazard awareness, just add it to your learning curve  :hide:  we learn something new everyday :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#14 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:09 pm

The police mantra for hazard perception I believe is
What you can see
What you can't see
What could possibly happen.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#15 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:23 pm

Having had another look at this,seeing as its been resurrected;

How many would have just shut the throttle off a bit at circa the very start of  0:05 ?

Thats about where I would feel something was going amiss using the video footage, reality should have been a bit earlier, the shadows obscure the wheels begining to cross the line.

Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#16 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• 890 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:20 pm

What you can see
What you can't see

crikey, with that kind of pessimism i'm surprised most bike coppers bother to get out of bed in the morning :isurrender:

#17 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:50 pm

What you can see
What you can't see

crikey, with that kind of pessimism i'm surprised most bike coppers bother to get out of bed in the morning :isurrender:

It's that kind of pessimism that ensures they get to go home to bed in the evening ;)

Stu

#18 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:23 am

What you can see
What you can't see

Makes sense. My thought process arrives at a similar self bashing conclusion after each close shave. ( a bit like "42" for the road )

#19 pescador

pescador

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:35 pm

Been riding for 40 years average 15,000 a year with no accidents at all and my modus operandi is "every other bastard on the road wants to kill me" so my sense of survival is very strong , I would not have overtaken just before a slip road ; But all that said and done it was the lorry drivers fault, pulling over without indicating , he should have stayed on the brakes when the van slowed down .

#20 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:39 am

An inch in a Miss is as good as a mile :P

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

0 user(s) are reading this topic