#81 Fiasco

Fiasco

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 158 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:17 pm

Hi

The Scottoiler website suggests that they don't recommend the HCR (Touring kit) for the TDM 900. I notice a few people on this thread have them fitted, so wondered if anyone knows why it is supposedly not suitable please?

I had one on my Fazer with a dual injector and it was brilliant - 28k from original chain and sprockets (front one was I admit slightly thin !)

Cheers

Dave
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse to the trap gets the cheese !

#82 jimmyf46

jimmyf46

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:03 pm

Hello NILS

I have a scottoiler fitted to my 2003 900 and its great.
It's been installed verticaly inside the left side tank fairing. Its easy to refill there and will give loads of extra life to your chain.

Regards,
Jimmy

#83 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:08 pm

QUOTE(Fiasco @ Thu 14th Aug 2008, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

The Scottoiler website suggests that they don't recommend the HCR (Touring kit) for the TDM 900. I notice a few people on this thread have them fitted, so wondered if anyone knows why it is supposedly not suitable please?

I had one on my Fazer with a dual injector and it was brilliant - 28k from original chain and sprockets (front one was I admit slightly thin !)

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

It's just that the tail light lights up the HCR instead of the number plate, but there is enough scattered light for the plate to be visible at night.
Had mine on for over a year now and I ride 5 nights a week and not been stopped for it.
JFTR 35000 miles from my last chain.

#84 Fiasco

Fiasco

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 158 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:25 pm

Finally got round to fitting my Scottoiler with lube tube and dual injector today

Easier job than I expected, apart from getting my tubby fingers in to put the vacumn pipe and damper elbow on, thank goodness for the Mrs who bought me a cuppa at the right time (wrong for her!)

One tip, read the instructions properly and make sure you remove the lube tube syphon pipe from the RMV when priming the lube tube, I ended up covered in the blue stuff blush.gif

I was going to fit the RMV inside the side panel as per the JBX tutorial but Datatool had got there before me. Managed to wedge it under the cross frame under the seat (as per Scottoiler PDF below), and added one of the plastic cam shaped collars to hold it in place. Works well as it points slightly down hill and allows easy access to the flow adjuster.

Scottoiler PDF

EDIT BY ADMIN : updated download link 2011-02-19
http://installguides..._...=146&kit=24

Dave

Edited by TonyDevil, 19 February 2011 - 10:30 am.

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse to the trap gets the cheese !

#85 ripper

ripper

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 193 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:09 pm

Has anyone tried the slipper block that fits over the chain yet and if so is it any good?
seems a good idea
Rob

#86 John Robinson

John Robinson

sticking around

• 35 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:47 pm

I see some posts on this thread about the oil to use in the Scottoiler. I'm using the Scottoiler oil until it runs out and then I'd like to switch to WD40 and see how it goes. I tried it in the Scottoiler that I installed on a KLR650 before I sold it recently, and found that it dripped too fast with the Scottoiler on its slowest setting. I changed back to the Scottoiler oil for the purpose of the sale but intend to follow up the idea on the TDM by reducing the outlet on the small tubing, perhaps just by crushing it, so that I can regulate the flow by the controller. The incentive to give WD40 a go was found in a very detailed article on the KLR650.net forum, which can be read on this link - http://members.cox.n...t-man/WD40d.htm - which seems to make a lot of sense.
Cheers,
John R

#87 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:34 pm

QUOTE(Fiasco @ Sun 25th Jan 2009, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally got round to fitting my Scottoiler with lube tube and dual injector today

Easier job than I expected, apart from getting my tubby fingers in to put the vacumn pipe and damper elbow on, thank goodness for the Mrs who bought me a cuppa at the right time (wrong for her!)

One tip, read the instructions properly and make sure you remove the lube tube syphon pipe from the RMV when priming the lube tube, I ended up covered in the blue stuff blush.gif

I was going to fit the RMV inside the side panel as per the JBX tutorial but Datatool had got there before me. Managed to wedge it under the cross frame under the seat (as per Scottoiler PDF below), and added one of the plastic cam shaped collars to hold it in place. Works well as it points slightly down hill and allows easy access to the flow adjuster.

Scottoiler PDF

Dave

Dave

Where did you buy yours from?

I went into BikeTits in Yateley today, they wanted £85. Nope.

#88 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:39 pm

QUOTE(John Robinson @ Fri 10th Apr 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see some posts on this thread about the oil to use in the Scottoiler. I'm using the Scottoiler oil until it runs out and then I'd like to switch to WD40 and see how it goes. I tried it in the Scottoiler that I installed on a KLR650 before I sold it recently, and found that it dripped too fast with the Scottoiler on its slowest setting. I changed back to the Scottoiler oil for the purpose of the sale but intend to follow up the idea on the TDM by reducing the outlet on the small tubing, perhaps just by crushing it, so that I can regulate the flow by the controller. The incentive to give WD40 a go was found in a very detailed article on the KLR650.net forum, which can be read on this link - http://members.cox.n...t-man/WD40d.htm - which seems to make a lot of sense.
Cheers,
John R

Not sure about using WD40 on chains. Theres an article here that shows the effect of long term wd40 use http://www.webbikewo...hain-lube/#wd40

Since it is a penetrant it can get behind the o-rings and strip out the grease. That said, if you use it and have no problems, then whose to argue smile.gif.

Maybe you could thicken the wd40 with scottoil to allow its use in the RMV.

#89 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:51 pm

Main task of (Scott)oilers is keeping the chain moist and O/X-rings clean and souple; the primary lubrication is down to the grease inside the chain. WD40 is a good cleaner but it seems a little (too) thin? Also: Can you buy WD40 as a plain fluid in a bottle? It seems a little tricky and expensive using it from a spray-can?
Anyway, I always the Scottoil. It seems a little expensive (around 10 quid / litre) but it's designed for its sole purpose, works really well, and in the grand scheme of biking-costs the price per mile is negligable.
That was not a banana, Dougal

#90 John Robinson

John Robinson

sticking around

• 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:18 am

Hello fruitcake & robelst,
thanks for the comments. I think the debate about the best chain lubricant will probably rage for as long as this forum exists, so I won't go over old ground. However I seem to glean from the feedback on this and other forums that because modern O-ring chains are lubricated from the inside for the life of the chain the only real purpose of any external lubricant is to keep the chain clean and the O-rings moist. So it seems to me that if I can restrict the Scottoiler outlet onto the chain so that I can regulate the flow, and if I can then reduce the flow to about 1 drop every 2 minutes it should be enough to achieve both objects without prejudicing the job that the O-rings do. I won't be trying the WD40 until I run out of Scottoil anyway, which will be a while yet. On price though, a 4 litre container only cost me about A$25, which surprised me in view of the cost of a spray can of the stuff, with the added advantage that it can be used for other things as well. So, if nothing else, get a 4 litre jug and a spray bottle to decant it into and you'll be miles ahead (excuse the pun!)
Regards,
John R

#91 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:19 pm

QUOTE(John Robinson @ Sat 11th Apr 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello fruitcake & robelst,
thanks for the comments. I think the debate about the best chain lubricant will probably rage for as long as this forum exists, so I won't go over old ground. However I seem to glean from the feedback on this and other forums that because modern O-ring chains are lubricated from the inside for the life of the chain the only real purpose of any external lubricant is to keep the chain clean and the O-rings moist. So it seems to me that if I can restrict the Scottoiler outlet onto the chain so that I can regulate the flow, and if I can then reduce the flow to about 1 drop every 2 minutes it should be enough to achieve both objects without prejudicing the job that the O-rings do. I won't be trying the WD40 until I run out of Scottoil anyway, which will be a while yet. On price though, a 4 litre container only cost me about A$25, which surprised me in view of the cost of a spray can of the stuff, with the added advantage that it can be used for other things as well. So, if nothing else, get a 4 litre jug and a spray bottle to decant it into and you'll be miles ahead (excuse the pun!)
Regards,
John R

At that price it's worth a go. laugh.gif
I have used WD40 before to clean chains from dirt and superfacial rust and it works very well. It drops straight off which is even better for cleaning but you may need to increase to drip interval. And put a warning sign at the back saying "lubrication in progress" tongue.gif
Some claim WD40 dissolves rubber but that's not my experience. After all, the grease they are supposed to keep in is probably based on the same "ingredients" and how much rubber is there really to be found in modern automotive "rubber" washers?
That was not a banana, Dougal

#92 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:45 pm

Just got back from a wettish ride to Reading to MPC, Oxford Road.
£70.00 lighter and home with a Mk 7 Scottoiler. Not a lot in the box for 70 squid dry.gif

Cup of tea and I'll let you know.

#93 Guest_Paddy900_*

Guest_Paddy900_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:00 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 11th Apr 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got back from a wettish ride to Reading to MPC, Oxford Road.
£70.00 lighter and home with a Mk 7 Scottoiler. Not a lot in the box for 70 squid dry.gif

Cup of tea and I'll let you know.

Did you not try Scotoiler direct,

There is a discount for Carpe members,

http://www.carpe-tdm...?showtopic=1955

They also give free postage to mainland UK

Edited by Paddy900, 11 April 2009 - 01:01 pm.

#94 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:47 pm

Of course not Paddy. Why would I think of that!

Thought I would do the spark plugs first, took 30 mins from start to wash hands. I'm ok with that.

Back here though, where's the vacuum pipe I need for the Scott?

Linky or Pics please rolleyes.gif

#95 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:52 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 11th Apr 2009, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course not Paddy. Why would I think of that!

Thought I would do the spark plugs first, took 30 mins from start to wash hands. I'm ok with that.

Back here though, where's the vacuum pipe I need for the Scott?

Linky or Pics please rolleyes.gif

http://www.scottoile...tion-guides.asp
TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#96 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:54 pm

Look under the LHS throttle body, you'll see a small plastic cap covering the vac pipe.

#97 Guest_Paddy900_*

Guest_Paddy900_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:08 pm

I followed these instructions,

Even a Paddy could follow them!!!!!

http://jbx9.free.fr/...php?page=SCOTTO

#98 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:11 pm

I thank you
QUOTE(Paddy900 @ Sat 11th Apr 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I followed these instructions,Even a Paddy could follow them!!!!!http://jbx9.free.fr/...php?page=SCOTTO
Well thats a Bummer. JBX tells me that Hotmail and Tiscali address's are not allowed, thats all I have!!!

All Ok, let me in now, I'll report back later

Edited by CatsBum, 11 April 2009 - 02:12 pm.

#99 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:10 pm

The vacuum pipe is black right?

#100 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests