• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Navigator1946

Navigator1946

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:03 pm

After three weeks, I'm really getting into my 'old' 08 TDM900. After loving a Honda Crosstourer for several years, I looked around for a replacement as the CT is getting too heavy - I knew it would eventually. I tried a Fazer, but found it too cramped, although I loved the engine. A friend suggested a TDM might be the answer, and so it proved. It's so easy to move around the garage, and so nimble on the road that I prefer riding the TDM now. I feel a little ashamed leaving the poor CT, but I'm sure we'll both get over it!
Cleaning the alloy wheels is a delight after the wire wheels of the big bike. I'm sure I'll get used to coping with a chain and I'm already seeing the advantages of a clutch after the dct 'box and shaft drive. I've already had the panels off to fit a sat nav mount (I never dared on the CT!) and I'm sure I can cope with most simple servicing work, so I will save on the running costs, although I'll need help with the tappets, when they're due.
Thanks for all your contributions to this site as you make life so much easier for those of us new to the TDM world.

2008 TDM900 in beautiful black.  Fender extender, after market Bullster touring screen, radiator guard, RM-G crash bars, 12V/USB socket, Oxford heated grips, Bagster tank cover, centre stand, E22 Givi panniers, standard exhausts. Beautiful Acerbis hand guards. <p>2015 Honda Crosstourer Highlander dct. Fabulous bike, but getting heavier as I age. The 9er is its replacement, eventually.

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:11 pm

Shims not due till 24,000. We can help you do it.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:21 pm

Tappets, not heard that word in ages.
I think it was a 1600 ford crossflow which last had tappets to adjust

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:42 pm

Same here Drewpy those were the days.

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,083 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:28 pm

Got a 550/4 in garage which has them. Why aren't bikes hydraulic now ? The Royal Enfield has the same parts they fit in modern Harley's, hydraulic no need to adjust them.

Edited by leehenty, 10 July 2020 - 06:33 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,351 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:34 pm

I do tappets fairly regularly, and adjust points most days, and people thing aircraft are hi-tech, not the little ones! Mostly magneto ignition and I'm the idiot that has to deal with them, there's no mapping a fuel injection system as it's all mechanical and constant flow (well dribble), most lawnmowers are more hi-tech.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#7 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:03 pm

Evening  Navigator1946,

I have been there with the CT, great bike, just too  kin heavy, I still drop in the CT forum, I have never known anyone get rid of the CT other than the reason of being too heavy,

makes my Blackbird feel like a 250 to push around lol

anyway post a pic of your Bullster screen, is it the really big one, middle or a custom size? does it seem to work OK for you?

cheers steve

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,083 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:33 pm

Don't aeroplanes have two magnetos ? I know Tiger Moths have two, with old fashioned switches. Turn one off after another check it keeps going.

#9 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:36 am

I have got tappets on both my prewar bikes, plus proper screw adjusters.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

#10 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,083 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:38 am

The Royal Enfield still has a tappet cover but no actual adjusters inside. If you put in fast high lift cams you have to go back to solid pushrods so it's handy.

#11 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:44 am

Don't aeroplanes have two magnetos ? I know Tiger Moths have two, with old fashioned switches. Turn one off after another check it keeps going.

Most early light aircraft have two magnetos. Preflight includes turning each one off and checking for a rpm drop. Archaic technology but to change it would need certification and approval and cost $$$

#12 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:54 am

Most early light aircraft have two magnetos. Preflight includes turning each one off and checking for a rpm drop. Archaic technology but to change it would need certification and approval and cost $$$

I love magnetos. They don't need another power supply. I had both of mine rebuilt and they work like new. Just clean the pick ups occasionally and set the points. Job done. They should last for 10'000s of miles now.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

#13 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,351 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:05 am

Most of the light aircraft run two mags, theres a few motorgliders with one on converted vw engines but they have to be inspected twice as often, electronic ignition is starting to happen but still very new, in the states they can run twin electronic units but here they still have to have one capable of running without external power, the slicks and bendix mags I deal with are so simple to sort out and don't fail in lightening strikes, the engines are not normally revved up and down like automotive engines and only rev to 2700 mostly so mags do fine, with constant speed props they can play with the throttle and keep the engine revs the same too as the pitch changes as the power increases.

Diesels started to appear but don't seem massively popular, the majority are still on lycoming or TCM avgas aircooled engines.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#14 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:01 pm

Hmmm, tappets. It’s nice to have something to adjust  :)

My XL600R has screws type tappets. 

The Buell has hydraulic ones and pushrods and a duplex chain primary drive. Old tech  :good:

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#15 Navigator1946

Navigator1946

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:35 pm

Ramo, I've seen your request for a photo tomorrow at Ollerton. I'm sure Lee will oblige. It's a lovely looking screen but a bit too low to keep the wind off, so I've just fitted a deflector above it. Not sure about the look - its as tall as
a block of flats! - but it certainly improves the airflow. I'll know more after a motorway ride down tomorrow.

2008 TDM900 in beautiful black.  Fender extender, after market Bullster touring screen, radiator guard, RM-G crash bars, 12V/USB socket, Oxford heated grips, Bagster tank cover, centre stand, E22 Givi panniers, standard exhausts. Beautiful Acerbis hand guards. <p>2015 Honda Crosstourer Highlander dct. Fabulous bike, but getting heavier as I age. The 9er is its replacement, eventually.

#16 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:04 am

...is this the reason you will be a little late? Increased drag? 😁
Bjørge

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:27 am

Ramo, I've seen your request for a photo tomorrow at Ollerton. I'm sure Lee will oblige. It's a lovely looking screen but a bit too low to keep the wind off, so I've just fitted a deflector above it. Not sure about the look - its as tall as
a block of flats! - but it certainly improves the airflow. I'll know more after a motorway ride down tomorrow.

Didn't look too bad imho Martin. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#18 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,757 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:51 pm

Hmmm, tappets. It’s nice to have something to adjust  :)

My XL600R has screws type tappets. 

The Buell has hydraulic ones and pushrods and a duplex chain primary drive. Old tech  :good:

I thought tappets were the mushroom things that go between the cam and the pushrods which is adjusted via the rocker arms above?
Did the Morini 350/500 Heron head engines have tappets?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users