• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 February 2022 - 07:56 am

First of all, I have an affliction. It's called musical hypsersensitive engine note disorder, which means if an engine doesn't sing it's not worth a damn. To give you an idea, I get aroused by radial aero engines and dream of standing by a pylon at the Reno Air Races one day.

So when I got a V-twin emulating TDM it was essential to release the music. I come from a VFR750FV with an early Remus carbon can and I loved every single polytonal throb. I'm jonesing for classic Remus ovals for my TDM but they're so hard to get it's bloody frustrating. New Hexacone ones sound heavy on the bass, and I'm after the full register. I bought Beowulf Warriors after recommendations from several people, but to my ears they don't do the engine justice beyond being brappy so I'm riding but not loving.

During winter I can mostly judge by YouTube videos, which is totally hit and miss, but at this point I've got four candidates that sound promising:

Delkevic (nicely priced!)

Scorpion

Dominator

Fuel

Whether you have one or several of these sets on your bike(s) or not, what's the most satisfying V-twin music you've heard from a can? I mean, Remuses are hard to beat, right?

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 08:22 am

These are my Scorpions. I think they sound about right, a bit more bass would be nice

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 08:47 am

Sounds like I would agree! Quite a nice note, though.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 February 2022 - 11:29 am

Best sound I've heard was from a mk2 8fiddly fitted with a 2-1 Predator exhaust.  Sounded proper gnarly, loike an amplified big cat roar.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 15 February 2022 - 04:33 pm

Best sound I've heard was from a mk2 8fiddly fitted with a 2-1 Predator exhaust.  Sounded proper gnarly, loike an amplified big cat roar.

Dats what I as. They sound just about right on the throttle and a lovely burble with the odd parp on the over run.

#6 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:04 pm

That's what I put on my first 850. Definitely brought out the inner child and saved a heap of weight.

The Kerker 2 -2 on my current bike sound gorgeous at lower revs but scare people when I'm overtaking. Probably in the anti-social bracket.

Wayyyy louder than the Predator system.

ShadowJack had Fuel on his 850 IIRC, they sounded lovely. And civilised. With the bonus of larger diameter headers.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:11 am

I've got fuels on my 900, sound a lot nicer than the standard pipes but without being much louder, so might not be that Tor's looking for.

I had a Laser Prostock on my Mk1 which was slightly obnoxious  :hide:

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:26 am

Over the years Ive had Remus Revolutions and Remus Grand Prix on my niner. The Grand Prix were very loud and the revolutions about right with the baffles in Had a Predator full system on my old Divvy. Sounded really nice with a burble/pop on overrun.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#9 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:45 pm

the revolutions about right with the baffles in Had a Predator full system on my old Divvy. Sounded really nice with a burble/pop on overrun.

Would you say the Predator system sounded better than the Remus Rs? (Umm, sorry, but what's a Divvy?)

I've got fuels on my 900, sound a lot nicer than the standard pipes but without being much louder, so might not be that Tor's looking for.

Actually it might be. What I'm after is the music, with bass but not a roar. Louder than stock but not ASBO loud. DB killers in or out?

Any listener experience with Delkevics as a comparison? They sound nice on a few videos and the prices are right.

#10 Rents

Rents

sticking around

• 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:53 pm

SP Demon XL's on mine.

Made the choice based on the fact they had the bump stop for the center stand, looked similar to the original, and I got a good price from SP!

Baffles in for the win, took them out once and felt like a tosser!

Snarling beast noises with lovely muffled pops and bangs on overrun.

Can recommend 100%

Edited by Rents, 16 February 2022 - 02:55 pm.

#11 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:53 pm

I have 2 into 1 delkevic and recon it gives a nice but not anti social noise, I get a bit of a burble and crackle on the over run which I quite like, the trouble is vids never give the same impression as actually being on one and hearing it first hand.

I've not heard other options except stock 850 mk2 pipes, it was listening to the first TDM I looked at (stock pipes I think) that really sold me on them but that was just a idle and blip from cold at a standstill.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#12 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:30 pm

Would you say the Predator system sounded better than the Remus Rs? (Umm, sorry, but what's a Divvy?)

Divvy = Yamaha 900 Diversion. 

Totally different animals as the Divvy is an inline 4. I much prefer then sound of a twin with open pipes, but it does tend to attract a bit of unwanted attention. I'm back on standard cans these days so I can sneak up on the sports bike riders  :rotflmmfao:

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:29 pm

I always thought the most important part of the system, if you're going to stick with the standard downpipes, is the link pipe to the silencer, that way you can try various silencers as long as they're the same inlet diameter, or you use adapters, to connect to the link pipe.

A pair of link pipes on ebay cost about £80,

Just add a pair of these top Chinese 180mm cuties, guaranteed to last at least  for 1 winter,  ... https://www.ebay.co....8sAAOSwH4Fhbn51

And, disposable earplugs https://www.ebay.co....kp:BFBM9pO2zuBf

Edited by fixitsan, 16 February 2022 - 11:39 pm.

#14 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 08:00 am

I'm back on standard cans these days so I can sneak up on the sports bike riders  :rotflmmfao:

I like the way you think  :good:

that way you can try various silencers as long as they're the same inlet diameter, or you use adapters, to connect to the link pipe.

Would be cool, but it's still February and I don't really have a twin-pipe crowd to hang and play swapsies with... So I'm relying on your lovely selves for reliable guidance in music.

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 February 2022 - 10:35 am

I had a MK2 with full CarbonCan system that sounded good to me. Don't think the company is still going though, so not much help.

My opinion on mk1 is that you have two options...wet fart sound or louder wet fart sound...again not much/any help to you as I think you have a 9er....oil get me coat.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#16 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 February 2022 - 01:41 pm

I had a remus 2 into 1 on my mk1 and it was the dogs.
Also had a pair of remus on my 9er and they too were just right.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#17 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 February 2022 - 02:15 pm

Where's TonyDevil when you need him?  His Mk1 was easy to follow as whenever you got to a junction you just needed to look which road had all the farm animals rushing away in a panic!  Can't remember what those cans were though.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:36 pm

Were those the ones from Gs boike? I spent many many hours following those loud fart cans on Gs boike. In fact sometimes 24hours at a time in the days of the 1000km. ಠᴥಠ

If so, they were Laser ProStocks
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#19 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 February 2022 - 07:26 pm

Yep was the Laser prostocks which came with Bigred, them was lubberley..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 10:23 pm

I like the way you think  :good:

Would be cool, but it's still February and I don't really have a twin-pipe crowd to hang and play swapsies with... So I'm relying on your lovely selves for reliable guidance in music.

Fair enough. I forgot to explain, that since I made that recording of mine I removed the tail pipe baffle.  But it was too loud. But the baffles iessentially reduce the exit diameter. Since making the video I've had the bike remapped and I wanted the least restrictive exhaust but bearable sound, so the answer was to buy a baffle which fit into the inlet end of the silencer, which still keeps about 50mm diameter and takes the top edge off the exhaust note so they're not piercing, just 'loudish'

These are always an option

EG - https://www.ebay.co....xwAAOSwiWlhM1qL

You retain the open exhaust bass note but the top end is muted down. Until you open her up !

Edited by fixitsan, 17 February 2022 - 10:36 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users