#21 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 February 2022 - 07:28 am

Fair enough. I forgot to explain, that since I made that recording of mine I removed the tail pipe baffle.  But it was too loud. But the baffles iessentially reduce the exit diameter. Since making the video I've had the bike remapped and I wanted the least restrictive exhaust but bearable sound, so the answer was to buy a baffle which fit into the inlet end of the silencer, which still keeps about 50mm diameter and takes the top edge off the exhaust note so they're not piercing, just 'loudish'

These are always an option

EG - https://www.ebay.co....xwAAOSwiWlhM1qL

You retain the open exhaust bass note but the top end is muted down. Until you open her up !

I used a couple like these on my sawn off end cans, really did quiet it down nicely.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 February 2022 - 01:13 pm

Edited by fixitsan, 18 February 2022 - 01:15 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 05:02 pm

And we wonder why Cops and the general public don't like us, noisy hooligans that we are.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#24 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 06:23 pm

Akrapovic slip ons up front, great combo of fruitiness and bass - plus a 10 bhp hike at 5000 rpm.

Video coutresy of @Chris Gray 

Edited by dandywarhol, 18 February 2022 - 06:30 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#25 Sabresdad

Sabresdad

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 18 February 2022 - 09:38 pm

My 900 came fitted with SP cans fitted ,an MOT advisory for the noise and a ringing headache on the 100 mile run home and my wife complaining of the noise when following in the car .

Fitted the standard cans that came with the bike the next day ...... silence in this case is definitely s golden

#26 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 09:06 am

+ 1 for standard quiet cans, I prefer the quiet.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#27 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 01:52 pm

And we wonder why Cops and the general public don't like us, noisy hooligans that we are.

My TDM came with standard and a on a whim I went for the Scorpions. My first impression came on a run into Edinburgh, while filtering, when all of a sudden i noticed people started to be much more aware of me.

My KTM was the same when it had it's almost open pipe exhaust. People just seemed to be looking for me when they could hear me coming. Following the self destruction of that can I went back to standard quiet on the KTM, and now I'm aware that people can't hear me coming at all.

Of course, personal safety is based on  the rider's responsiibility, and their ability to read the road and not take risks, we shouldn't assume other people have seen us, but instead assume people have not heard or seen us when we're riding.

I used to think loud exhausts were antisocial, I still do in fact because open pipes are too much, but having experienced the clear demonstrable benefit of generating more noise I'm now in the fence.

Sadly the times are changing, and noise checks are expected to be introduced quite soon, on the MOT test

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#28 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 09:07 am

Again, my interest is in making the engine sound good and for that reason a little louder than stock, only to free up the music. I appreciate stock mufflers for various purposes, whether for sneaking up on sports bikes or for relaxed touring, but you know. An added bonus being that "they hear me coming" when filtering and whatnot.

I'm putting out a couple of feelers with Greek friends. The TDM is massive down there and there's hope I can suitcase a nice pair of 2nd-hand Remuses this summer. Meanwhile, I'm eyeing up these inexpensive Delkevic twin ovals:

https://delkevic.co....74.html?search=

#29 PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 56 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 21 February 2022 - 11:59 am

I've just finished fitting a pair of R1 end cans with hi-rise pipes...they  sound amazing (to me)..like stock but a deeper thumpier sound...........

Attached Files

Edited by PeterGriffin, 21 February 2022 - 01:21 pm.

#30 overbomber

overbomber

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 21 February 2022 - 01:30 pm

My 3VD has a Remus 2into1 fitted but the bloody bike won't start as it's sat for so long..... but the bangs from the backfire sound nice'n'loud so I guess that's a good thing?......

#31 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 February 2022 - 08:14 am

I've just finished fitting a pair of R1 end cans with hi-rise pipes...they  sound amazing (to me)..like stock but a deeper thumpier sound...........

My word, that seat looks cosseting. Buster Gonad could hang one each side of that quite comfortably.

I digress. Torn between starting a new thread or hijacking this one, Buster Gonad won the day.

My front pips are exceedingly rusty, just surface but needs attention before it gets damp again. I gave them a good coating of high temp black a few years ago to remedy the same situation. So I'm wondering, do I clean them up and get them chromed, paint them again or defile them with exhaust wrap, paint the seat brown and sell the bike?

Or. Is their summit else I can do to keep them tidy?

Edited by harvey krumpet, 24 February 2022 - 08:17 am.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#32 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 24 February 2022 - 08:39 am

The trouble with re-chroming is getting all the pits out and polishing first, if you chrome a turd you get a shiny turd but you still can't really polish it.

As for the exhaust wrap thing, WTF is all that about? Never did get that little fetish, only really useful between headers and a turbo to keep the gasses expanded or under a crammed bonnet, but on a regular bike, NO!!!!!

Back to heat proof paint I recon, how about stove paint? I seem to recall something that you could buff up to a shine for stoves, zebu springs to mind but brain ache says I could be wrong.

Edit: Zebo is the one that may be long gone, zebu is a cow that will not help your downpipes unless you bbq it on them.

Edited by Snowbird, 24 February 2022 - 08:41 am.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#33 PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin

• 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 09:26 am

Yeah...a no no on the chroming..Black widow in the UK do stainless headers..but youre not in the UK (me neither)....i did mine with the bbq paint, look great until they get sandblasted with salty rain and road crap...then they look worse.....i just  polish them with a scotchbrite wheel (other makes are available..!!!) on a drill, take them off first ..takes 5 minutes and is a lot easier...

Edited by PeterGriffin, 24 February 2022 - 09:27 am.

#34 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 10:46 am

You can have headers coated in ceramic by Zircotec, but cost is £££

https://www.zircotec...EhoCNnMQAvD_BwE

Edited by leehenty, 24 February 2022 - 11:22 am.

#35 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 February 2022 - 04:02 pm

You can have headers coated in ceramic by Zircotec, but cost is £££

https://www.zircotec...EhoCNnMQAvD_BwE

I got mine coated by a company in Warrington, think it was £100.

cheaper than chroming and still looks the lick

Edited by drewpy, 24 February 2022 - 04:02 pm.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#36 PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin

• 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 04:42 pm

The postage would kill him............... :P

#37 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 February 2022 - 07:29 pm

The postage would kill him............... :P

Yup. International freight costs are eye watering.

I will have a look at what coatings are available down here.

Having said that, an annual buffing does not sound to onerous.

Exhaust wrap.... WTF indeed. Not going to happen unless I get a man bun.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#38 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 06:21 pm

[quote name="harvey krumpet" post="392477" timestamp="1645730985"

Exhaust wrap.... WTF indeed. Not going to happen unless I get a man bun.[/quote]
🤣😂

#39 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 February 2022 - 08:41 pm

Go on Lee, wrap will set of all the nice bling matey  :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#40 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 11:56 am

I thought I'd share a description of great sounding exhausts from a classic car forum I follow with my Rover P6:

" it sounds like a bag of angry badgers, each and every one of them wishing to murder you "

That's a Ford 302 V8-engined Rover 2000 with free-flow glass-packed mufflers.

I think my bike deserves to sound like a bag of passive-aggressive badgers with PTSD and a firearms licence. That's my thinking on a Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users