#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 16 July 2022 - 08:33 pm

Unreliable bloody bike this....only done 100,000 and broke down!

At 129miles on the tank it did a polite cough and then started to run rough as a badgers rissole...instinct was to reach for reserve (as ed zackery same symptom when fuel out) and this cleared the problem. (mayhaps coincidence).

So now I'm wondering how come I only hit 129 miles to reserve instead of the normal 175-185 twosies up!!!

Anyways 7 miles later and TB coughed farted and stopped. I found a beautiful shady tinker spot. First check was fool level and it had fuel (above reserve). It was only Arthur mile or so to the fuel station I was aiming for, so I wondered if to break out spanners or go git fuel. In the end TB started again...ran on one for a minute or so and then was back to normal.

Rode to petrol station, brimmed and 60-moiles home without missing a beat.

So dodgy fool? Never had this before but did fill up at a hillbilly local Esso garage the last 2 times.

Some sheet in carbs

Or fool pamp.... low fuel...pump not pumping.? This was replaced (OEM) a year or so ago jus as preventative maintenance (hohoho) since the old pamp was 30years old and running on secondary school overhead projector material.

I guess more testing is urgently required tomoz to see if it is re-peteable with low fuel level.

There are worse places to break down...even if very briefly...we were in the shade with poi and beverages.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 July 2022 - 10:07 pm

If it were fuel I don't understand how bad fuel got into one carb but not the other, when they use the same feed pipe.. Maybe it can ? Or was one carb flooding due to a bit of crap in the fuel bowl needle valve ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 July 2022 - 11:05 pm

What about water? Drops of water in float bowl can cause out-of-fuel symptoms.
I had to change the fuel cap on my old 3vd, little spring tension and a rock hard rubber seal caused repated water in fuel..
Bjørge

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 05:49 am

Thanks chaps.

FS I think most likely to be lack of fuel rather than due to hillbilly fuel. Boike does the same thing after a long layup. Runs on one until it's pulled enough fuel through and then picks up.

Bjorgey thanks I will see how a low fuel run goes and if fine oil go on the hunt for crud and water. I did give TB its annual bath a few months ago so worth chicken. Did you replace entire cap? I guess second hand as new prolly obsolete.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:41 am

Thanks chaps.

FS I think most likely to be lack of fuel rather than due to hillbilly fuel. Boike does the same thing after a long layup. Runs on one until it's pulled enough fuel through and then picks up.

Bjorgey thanks I will see how a low fuel run goes and if fine oil go on the hunt for crud and water. I did give TB its annual bath a few months ago so worth chicken. Did you replace entire cap? I guess second hand as new prolly obsolete.

Still available from China https://www.ebay.co....F0AAOSwIGxcHwOT

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:28 am

Might be worth chicken the tank vent and the lil fuel filter. Odd behaviour innit

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:38 am

Terrible unreliable  :rolleyes:  some crapola from tank !? would be wary of the take away fuel cap, i bought one and during the 1st winter the pull tab fractured and came away in my hand which left me wondering about quality..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:58 am

Won't hurt to undo the fuel drain screws on the float bowls, seen plenty of green gooey lumps in there from I'm guessing the ethanol.

My friends misses has a GSXR we've just changed the fuel pump on, bloody thing was rusty in places. Bike sits around a lot.

Edited by Catteeclan, 17 July 2022 - 08:59 am.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:16 am

Did you replace entire cap? I guess second hand as new prolly obsolete.

Yup, cheap chinese one. Sold the bike not long after, so no idea of longevity😐
Bjørge

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 11:39 am

Just wondering if the coil could be on it's way out ?  It'd explain the poor economy and the intermittent behaviour.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 01:33 pm

Economy is fine I think SR. When I switched to reserve it still had enough to run on main tank! I don't think economy had changed. I don't think coils as it is exactly simulating low fuel...but if it gets stripped will def check. Did wonder about tank vent and wondered if it restarted because I'd released pressure by chicken level. Also...now you mention it, it hasn't sung to me for a while...which it does especially when hot and tank full hmmm. Oil definitely give that a prod...guess it's in the lid somewhere.

I will drain boat foals at some point catte. Should be zero ethanol in there as running on Esso super for last year or so as only remaining zero ethanol fuel easily available.

We are in the middle of a test pootle...well actually me n T have just been sat on a hill in littlecote under a tree for a few hours.... So not sure I will get the tank back up to 130 but will give it a go.

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 06:18 pm

Back after an additional 109 moiles on that tank o fuel. So that's 169moiles total on that tank...not hit reserve and no tantrum... 乁ʕ ̀ ۝ ́ ʔㄏ

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 06:52 pm

Did you get Tish to shout at it  :lol: so nowt wrong then ?! confuzzled.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:06 pm

Seems I can't re-pete the problem dabs. I was thinking it would be back today when tank level low...but nope.

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 July 2022 - 07:50 pm

Seems I can't re-pete the problem dabs. I was thinking it would be back today when tank level low...but nope.

Sounds like the phantom fix fairy struck again....

Edited by fixitsan, 17 July 2022 - 08:07 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 08:30 pm

Well can only be one thing then.....the weather  :)

#17 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 July 2022 - 09:38 pm

How about carb icing? On light aircraft it's often warm humid air that is worse for it albeit at higher altitude than the average tdm manages.
Warm air can hold far more moisture than cold air.
Just clutching at straws... (and drunk

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 04:48 am

Fooling issue indeed eh Daps. :um:

#19 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 July 2022 - 08:12 am

i'll hoy my 2p in. Blocked fuel tank breather hose, creating a vaccuum when the fuel level drops

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 06:42 pm

Just gotta remember where the breather hose is. Definitely worth chicken ta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users