22 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 August 2022 - 07:31 pm

I stripped down my front forks this morning and discovered why both my recently fitted new fork seals are leaking. On examing the stantions closely I could see several fine,vertical, scratches on each stantion. I didn't notice them when I changed the seals and bushes a few weeks ago and they do look fairly fresh so I'm assuming that I've not installed the top bushes correctly and they have damaged the stantions.🤬
Bearing in mind the stantions have done 107,000 miles, my question is do I try and get them re-chromed or bit the bullet and get new ones. I've seen a pair of Italian ones on eBay from Brooks Barn for £300 which seems a reasonable price.

Edited by JohnnyW, 11 August 2022 - 07:43 pm.

Two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 August 2022 - 08:05 pm

That's the odd wear I mentioned. The tube gets scuffed out of round and seals ain't never gonna seal. Can only see in very good light with tubes held at correct angle.

Rechrome or new toobs should fixy. Worth researching companies afore rechrome....as results may vary!!

I have the new Italian juans in stock. Think thwy cost £75ish/toob buying a few sets...but that was a long time ago and I think you have a 9er so thems won't fit.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:05 pm

I have the new Italian juans in stock. Think thwy cost £75ish/toob buying a few sets...but that was a long time ago and I think you have a 9er so thems won't fit.

I've got Matlock's old 9er,Dapers. Not sure there are many companies doing hard chroming up my neck of the woods but I'll have a bit of a hunt around.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:48 pm

Such a long time ago but I was gonna give these guys a go https://www.pittedforks.co.uk/

I think ewe can just post em off.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 10:25 pm

Such a long time ago but I was gonna give these guys a go https://www.pittedforks.co.uk/

I think ewe can just post em off.

Thanks for that, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

#6 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:15 am

The place linked is good, I've dropped a pair of bent XT600 toobs off before on a delivery run and picked them up on the way back past later the same day, that was just for straightening obviously re-chrome won't be nearly that sort of turn around, they did a lot of hydraulic rams so deal with far more pressure than forks take (steady pressure not shock pressure admittedly).

It was good to see an engineering place with a side door and counter, they are in Luton not far from the M1 for anyone more local, my run took me darn sarf via M1 so was perfect for me.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 10:17 am

Probably A.M.Philpot's of Luton they did a pair of very rough Honda forks for me. Came back like new
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#8 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,354 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 10:44 am

Probably A.M.Philpot's of Luton they did a pair of very rough Honda forks for me. Came back like new

That's the one Lee.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#9 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 01:24 pm

I've contacted Pitted Forks who offer a pick up and delivery service and a reasonable price of £235 to rechrome my stantions(that includes the usual £20 supplement to have anything delivered in the Highlands🤬🤬). Unfortunately the turnaround time they're quoting is 6 weeks!
I've found a few places selling pattern replacements, cheapest seems to be Brooks Barn who have a set of Italian stantions for £300 but delivery is mid Sept, Brooks Suspension have the same stantions but looking for £350 but no mention on website about availability/delivery dates will have to contact them. Pretty sure there will be a delivery surcharge to be applied for both those companies.
Looks like the choice will be expensive and available now or cheaper but bike off the road for up to 6 weeks.🙁

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 16 August 2022 - 10:12 am

have you tried local companies who refurbish the hydraulic rams and the like for plant machinery?

same process and specs

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#11 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 04:56 pm

have you tried local companies who refurbish the hydraulic rams and the like for plant machinery?

same process and specs

The courier picked them up today so they're on their way to Pitted Forks. I spoke with the girl in the office and I think the 6 week time scale is a worst case scenario and might get them back before then. I'll use the intervening time to do a few things on the bike.

#12 Sabresdad

Sabresdad

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 17 August 2022 - 06:20 am

Philpots do a superb job and they will be better than new and still are 20 years later.

As for pattern parts I got a set for my 900 and yes they apeared good quality and all of the outer surfaces were spot on spec BUT the stanchion walls were too thick by about 1.5 mm neaning the standard front springs would not fit .

Luckily the aftermarket uprated ones I had to go in were a slightly smaller diameter and just went in

#13 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 August 2022 - 11:19 am

Araldite rubbed back til smooth and a pair of fork gaitors so you don't look like a Heilan' skinflint

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 03:26 pm

Do you remember the set oi borrowed from G for our trip weewan? Just rebuilt by Freddie Fokkepie using all new Yamaha bushings at great expense to G... except he didn't observe the wear on stanchions and they lasted abooot 60miles before they wee'd everywhere!!!

Loike dis

http://www.carpe-tdm...t&attach_id=141

#15 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 August 2022 - 08:08 pm

Do you remember the set oi borrowed from G for our trip weewan? Just rebuilt by Freddie Fokkepie using all new Yamaha bushings at great expense to G... except he didn't observe the wear on stanchions and they lasted abooot 60miles before they wee'd everywhere!!!

Loike dis

http://www.carpe-tdm...t&attach_id=141

Eye

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#16 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 02:39 pm

Araldite rubbed back til smooth and a pair of fork gaitors so you don't look like a Heilan' skinflint

🤣🤣

#17 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,354 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 03:07 pm

One of mine has a blob of nail varnish in a corrosion pit, not leaked yet.
Luckily the Mrs had some silver so it doesn't stand out.

#18 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 August 2022 - 11:43 am

Had a set badly pitted n chrome was lifting in sheets. Had em ground, re-chromed/finishhed to STD size by a plant hydraulic ram maker....20 years later the chrome is still great and never had a leak or stone chip/mark either. Wasn't cheap, IIRC about the same as a new aftermarket set, but super quality and of course no dimension mismatches.

The business is no more but it may be a course of investigation for you.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#19 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 06:21 pm

Had a set badly pitted n chrome was lifting in sheets. Had em ground, re-chromed/finishhed to STD size by a plant hydraulic ram maker....20 years later the chrome is still great and never had a leak or stone chip/mark either. Wasn't cheap, IIRC about the same as a new aftermarket set, but super quality and of course no dimension mismatches.
The business is no more but it may be a course of investigation for you.

Good suggestion and if I'd taken some time I could probably have found a similar company up here in the north east of Scotland, especially with the oil and gas industry based in Aberdeen.😮 Something for me to bear in mind for the future.😎
Hopefully Pitted Forks will do an equally good job.

#20 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 05:56 pm

So, 15 weeks(less a day) after being picked up to go to Philpots for rechroming my stantions finally arrived back.😡 I don't think they would have made their initial 6 week turnaround anyway but there was a problem with one of the stantions. One went thru fine at the first attempt but the other had to be done several times as it kept failing their QC check. I suppose I should be happy that they weren't prepared to compromise on the quality of their work.
Spent this afternoon re-assembling the forks and all looking good. Will get them fitted to the bike tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users