5 replies to this topic

#1 Redcorfe

Redcorfe

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 14 September 2022 - 07:49 am

Hi All,

New to the forum as I will be getting a 1999 TDM850 soon, and I believe it will have BDSR38 4TX4 Mk2a carbs on it.

It may need a rebuilt kit but I am struggling to find one, can find plenty for the earlier model but not this one. - Can anyone point me to a supplier ?

Also can anyone confirm that the Ducati 900SS has the same carbs ? Or are there other make/model you know about.

I will have a few things to do so I will not be a stranger but as we all know forums are the font of all knowledge but I will give something back in the way of an excellent youtube video on these carbs.

Don’t worry about it being in German, as you can change the subtitles to English but don’t really need a commentary.

Cheers

Ian

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:17 am

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum, i believe your right and the Ducati does use the same carbs, at least i've seen that info over the years, the video shows mk1 carbs and while generally the same build have a couple of differences to your mk2a carbs which are by the way meant to be more durable, emulsion tubes are a press fit but can be changed with a little patience, is a video knocking about someplace, the float needle seats are brass and bits of the choke plunger also.

A search should give you plenty of info though and i'm sure our resident carb guru will be along.

Seem to recall maybe Kedo having the emulsion tubes but dont know about other parts as i tinkered with the much superior mk1  :D

Hold fire someone will be able to help further.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,359 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:22 am

Check the date code under the seat before ordering bits, I looked at a 1999 reg and it was a 1996 mk2.
Tdm's sold slow here due to the tedium nickname so sat in stealerships a while.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:54 am

Greetings.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 14 September 2022 - 02:06 pm

maybe check out NRP carbs too, they may be able to help

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 September 2022 - 07:35 pm

Hi and welcome Ian.  Some mk2a carb info here  http://www.carpe-tdm...hl=+mk2a +carbs

Kedo.de might be worth a visit, they were the only place I could find that sold emulsion tubes for the BDSR38's.  The reason there aren't any kits is probably in part, due to them not really needing that much in terms of o rings and gaskets compared to the BDST38's.  Ducati and some Harley's run on BDSR38's but I think the jetting is different and maybe the needle jets.

NRPCarbs, you might do well to phone them as they are very knowledgeable. :good:

Those carbs in the video are BDST38's, not mk2a (1999-01) carbs.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users