• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kenyun

Kenyun

sticking around

• 36 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:00 pm

Having just done 12000+ very enjoyable miles since May on my TDM900, and lots more miles on my other bikes, I get through quite a few tyres in all year round riding. To keep costs down, I buy mail order then fit and balance them myself, no problem-----untill I find out that my local council recycling centre [re -Tip] want to charge me £4.00 per tyre to dispose of my old tyres commencing from the 1st of November. Diabolical liberty, it used to be £1.00 at a tyre fitting depot. When I questioned a council 'spokesman', he said that it was to discourage people bringing in their old tyres. Its a Tip FFS.

#2 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:05 pm

Start up a business recycling tyres for £1.

The shread them, and sell them to the people that use them for that playground bouncy surfacing...??

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:13 pm

Discourage them from bringing them to the tip ... ie encourage them to dump em in a field/layby/hedge.  Brilliant!

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:52 am

A lot of council tips have started charging for all sorts of stuff now.  In theory they've always been just for household waste, but have accepted lots of other stuff as well so long as it's not blatantly commercial waste.  Now they're starting to charge for anything they don't consider to be household waste.  Fair enough councils are short of cash but they're going to spend a shit load more clearing up all the fly tipping than they'll make from the dumps.  That's probably a different budget though.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:09 am

From what I see at my local tip (West Lothian Council)...they subcontract collections for waste oil, cardboard, glass bottles, batteries and possibly other waste groups

These are things which the subcontractor pays the council for, they pay to leave their containers on site and they pay the council by the ton for the waste.

I guess there isn't a subby willing to pay good enough money for waste tyres yet......This suggests there's a goldmine of wealth  waiting for anyone who can come up with a product, based on old tyres. I know they crumb them down for playground surfaces....and every racetrack uses tons of them.

Perhaps more racetracks is the answer ?  The track surface also made of tyre crumb ?

Edited by fixitsan, 21 October 2016 - 08:13 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:20 am

From what I see at my local tip (West Lothian Council)...they subcontract collections for waste oil, cardboard, glass bottles, batteries and possibly other waste groups

These are things which the subcontractor pays the council for, they pay to leave their containers on site and they pay the council by the ton for the waste.

I guess there isn't a subby willing to pay good enough money for waste tyres yet......This suggests there's a goldmine of wealth  waiting for anyone who can come up with a product, based on old tyres. I know they crumb them down for playground surfaces....and every racetrack uses tons of them.

Perhaps more racetracks is the answer ?  The track surface also made of tyre crumb ?

Shouldn't we line motorway central reservations with tyres instead of an exposed concrete wall???

#7 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:27 am

I don't have to pay to dump tyres at my local tip.

I asked what happened to the tyres a good while ago and.......... The tyres are collected by an unnamed PLC, frozen with liquid nitrogen, shredded and the steel separated from the nylon/rubber whatever  and the resultant products are re-used. Wot for sez I, FIIK sez he. How true? I dunno cos I can remember the news story about how the UK was reycling fridges n freezers properly and in an environmentally friendly way, except we were shipping them to Holland where they went into landfill. Ho hum they all be liars and bollockx merchants who will never have your best interests at heart.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:56 pm

I do know that all rubber products eventually return to a more rubbery state then when made.....and the addition of  something chemically can bring the rubber back out......... maybe they're making a huge profit already and just telling everyone there's no money in it !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:25 pm

Knew i had seen this before, here's one of the vids others as well.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:16 am

Where I live, an environmental tax is paid on tire purchase, funding scrap tire handling later on....

Bjørge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users